Is Rubio the strongest Republican presidential candidate since Reagan?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:19:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is Rubio the strongest Republican presidential candidate since Reagan?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Answer
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 86

Author Topic: Is Rubio the strongest Republican presidential candidate since Reagan?  (Read 4069 times)
Talleyrand
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 19, 2015, 08:35:04 AM »

Yes, without a doubt.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 09:05:03 AM »

Yes, but unlike 2004, this is 2016, and his views are opposite of party, especially in the House. Meaning Trump or Carson will maintain leads over him.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 09:26:08 AM »

I strongly believe so. I am an Independent, but I think he has the aura or the appeal that Reagan had in 1980. If Rubio is the nominee, Democrats need to watch out, because he could be the face of the 2020's and 2030's.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 10:04:58 AM »

He's the thirstiest. Not sure if that's strong, but it's a thing.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 10:05:34 AM »

I'll believe it when I see it.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 10:11:33 AM »

LMAO
M
A
O
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 10:12:09 AM »

No, absolutely not. He sweats constantly, looks like a baby, and has never had an original thought. If he were not "Hispanic" (Roll Eyes) he wouldn't even be considered.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 10:17:08 AM »

Rubio is not strong. Not even close. I don't know where people get this idea. I like him more than Romney, but he is so Romney-esque in terms of strength, it's unbelievable.

George Bush was obviously stronger if that's what OC was saying, I have no clue.

If we're talking about potential GE candidates, how exactly is he stronger than Huntsman? If we're talking about primaries, Rubio hasn't been above 13% yet outside his home state, has he? And the early states are looking atrocious for him.

Trump is obviously stronger than all of them naturally. Stick with your endorsement, Talleyrand. You don't have to be such a pessimist on Trump issues too.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 10:24:50 AM »

I think the jury is still out. He definitely beats George HW Bush, Bob Dole, McCain and Romney, but whether or not he is better than Dubya is far from settled. He is definitely the best speaker the party has, but he has a problem with making all of his responses to questions seem like canned speeches instead of what he actually believes. I'm not even sure we can definitely call him the strongest out of all of this year's candidates just yet, although I think he has a great shot at the nomination.

As annoying as the "maid/bartender" thing is, I think it will ultimately be effective in satisfying his party's desire for an outsider if Trump and Carson stumble. Rubio understands well that the party's base does not want another blue-blood Romney/Bush nominee. They want a "man of the people", and it seems Rubio is carefully maneuvering to make himself that without alienating the establishment any more than he has to.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 10:27:01 AM »

but I think he has the aura or the appeal that Reagan had in 1980.

So much aura and appeal that he currently trails Donald Trump and Ben Carson by a large margin and is tied with Ted Cruz.
mencken
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 10:29:47 AM »

He is definitely the best speaker the party has, but he has a problem with making all of his responses to questions seem like canned speeches instead of what he actually believes.

You are assuming he has the mental capacity for actual beliefs, rather than simply knowing "if I spout neoconservative talking points, I can pay for this boat"
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2015, 10:37:40 AM »

The strongest GOP candidate since Ronald Reagan is obviously TRUMP, but this biased forum doesn't like the truth.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2015, 11:09:52 AM »

1) Dems and liberals, it said STRONGEST, so instead of just sh|tting on Rubio, name who is.

2) I think, FOR THE TIME, Bush 43 in 2000 was.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2015, 11:10:19 AM »

He is definitely the best speaker the party has, but he has a problem with making all of his responses to questions seem like canned speeches instead of what he actually believes.

You are assuming he has the mental capacity for actual beliefs, rather than simply knowing "if I spout neoconservative talking points, I can pay for this boat"

This is a good point that I forgot to mention. Rubio is VERY corrupt, he's involved in some real shady things and with some real shady people.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2015, 11:11:27 AM »

1) Dems and liberals, it said STRONGEST, so instead of just sh|tting on Rubio, name who is.

2) I think, FOR THE TIME, Bush 43 in 2000 was.

George W. Bush, Trump, probably John McCain (especially in 2000)
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2015, 11:13:57 AM »

I think Rubio has the potential to be better than Dubya. We won't know anything until we actually see him in action against a Democratic opponent.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2015, 11:16:35 AM »

Yes, I am. I have little reason not to.

This is a good point that I forgot to mention. Rubio is VERY corrupt, he's involved in some real shady things and with some real shady people.
Proof? (other than the private prisons thing, because that definitely worries me as well)
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2015, 11:45:00 AM »

Illiterate people it said, is Rubio the strongest.  That's a yes or no question.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2015, 11:45:23 AM »

The first Bush in 1988 was.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2015, 12:13:52 PM »
« Edited: November 19, 2015, 12:23:05 PM by Mehmentum »

Republicans need to stop overhyping their candidates.  Rubio seems to be a strong candidate, but by saying he's the next Reagan you're giving him an impossible standard.  I doubt Reagan himself could live up to how conservatives think of him today.  

Similar things happened to Walker and Bush (particularly Walker, who was also compared to Reagan on this forum).  Neither of them were that terrible, but the expectations for them were so high that the lackluster performances they gave killed them.

Every candidate falters at some point.  Obama fumbled his second debate against Romney, Clinton fumbled her answer about Wall Street in the last debate, Cruz almost had an 'oops moment' last debate.  The key is recovering from those mistakes.

Rubio too will mess up too at some point, and if the media keeps hyping him up like it has been, he might not be able to recover.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2015, 12:53:18 PM »

hahahahahahahahaha
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2015, 12:56:04 PM »

1. George W. Bush
2. George H.W. Bush
3. John McCain
4. Bob Dole
5. Donald Trump
6. Mitt Romney
499. Tim Pawlenty
500. Marco Rubio
heatmaster
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2015, 01:17:47 PM »

What's with Trump's permanent pout? Talk about lose lips!
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2015, 01:22:20 PM »

George W. Bush, surely. He combined folksy nonsense, Christian bullsh!t, a macho alpha male cowboy persona and moderate hero "compassionate conservatism".
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2015, 01:56:17 PM »

Why has nobody mentioned GHWB circa 1988?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies