Hillary: Muslims Have Nothing To do With Terrorism
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:22:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Hillary: Muslims Have Nothing To do With Terrorism
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Hillary: Muslims Have Nothing To do With Terrorism  (Read 4021 times)
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2015, 04:53:36 PM »

It was posted by some campaign-person. When she personally tweets something, it is followed by a --Hillary.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2015, 05:00:02 PM »

I think that the point she's trying to make is that most muslims are peaceful, and that Islam doesn't cause people to be terrorists.  Admittedly, this was a poor way to put it, but twitter isn't exactly the ideal medium for discussion.
bobloblaw
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2015, 05:21:44 PM »

Yeah, no one has ever been able to explain to me what Republicans' obsession with calling it "radical Islam" is, other than Islamophobia. I mean, I sometimes call it that myself, but it's not something I particularly care about.

Well youre a grennnie from MA, so I have no doubt youre confused. Moderate Muislims use the term. I guess by refusing to use the term radical muslims, youre saying that all muslims are the same...Ok Pam Geller.
bobloblaw
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2015, 05:23:10 PM »

There's a difference between criticizing someone's religious beliefs and a blanket condemnation of that entire religion.  Its the difference between saying 'Christians are morons' and 'Young earth creationists are ignorant and wrong'. 

If I say that there is no way Mohammed did his night journey or that he was a child raping phedophile, is that a blanket condemnation.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2015, 05:24:55 PM »

I understand what she meant, but it really feeds into the narrative that the left has its head in the clouds on a very real issue that people recognize as threatening. So, I'm sure she helped herself with those Colorado voters! (and Ohio, ahem). Islam is a deeply oppressive religion, the archaic authority-driven cultures of Islamic countries invite extremism, and I wish people on the left would become comfortable saying that and talking about it.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2015, 06:27:13 PM »

The Democrats are absolutely terrible when having to run in a national security election. They don't know what to say, they overstate legitimate points, and they come off as "Weak on terror". This is why the Republicans can't afford a Trump nomination - because he could actually win.

in the wake of the september 11, 2001 attacks, the 2016 presidential election was a referendum on national security

Huh
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2015, 06:43:45 PM »

ISIS is about as representative of Islam as Don Lemon is to journalism.

This group performs terrible atrocities against humankind, and I do think there should be some action in consideration. However, finger-pointing at a massive demographic because of the actions of an extremist institution is unjust and unwarranted. Keep in mind, 92% of the people ISIS has killed are Muslims and the PKK, a far-left Kurdish organization, is the largest fighting force right now.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2015, 06:49:05 PM »
« Edited: November 19, 2015, 06:53:02 PM by Mehmentum »

There's a difference between criticizing someone's religious beliefs and a blanket condemnation of that entire religion.  Its the difference between saying 'Christians are morons' and 'Young earth creationists are ignorant and wrong'.  

If I say that there is no way Mohammed did his night journey or that he was a child raping phedophile, is that a blanket condemnation.
I honestly don't care what inflammatory things you say, free speech and all that.  What I care about is  people like you turning away thousands of people for the crimes of people completely beyond their control.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2015, 07:02:55 PM »

Not really.  I completely agree with what Hillary was trying to say, but she said it like an idiot and what ended up coming out is as untrue as "all Muslims are terrorists."
bobloblaw
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2015, 07:06:16 PM »

There's a difference between criticizing someone's religious beliefs and a blanket condemnation of that entire religion.  Its the difference between saying 'Christians are morons' and 'Young earth creationists are ignorant and wrong'.  

I honestly don't care what inflammatory things you say, free speech and all that.  What I care about is  people like you turning away thousands of people for the crimes of people completely beyond their control.

because you know which of them is ISIS and which arent.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2015, 07:24:17 PM »

The largest ISIS threat to the U.S. are not people fleeing from Syria, but young (mostly second generation) Muslims who already live here that are being radicalized online.  Why would ISIS go through the trouble of sending someone from Syria to the U.S when they can just get someone already in the U.S. to carry out an attack?

In this case turning away refuges would actually make us less safe, as it would increase the disillusionment that these people are feeling.
bobloblaw
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2015, 07:30:22 PM »

The largest ISIS threat to the U.S. are not people fleeing from Syria, but young (mostly second generation) Muslims who already live here that are being radicalized online.  Why would ISIS go through the trouble of sending someone from Syria to the U.S when they can just get someone already in the U.S. to carry out an attack?

In this case turning away refuges would actually make us less safe, as it would increase the disillusionment that these people are feeling.

Both are possible. But the home grown ones can be under survalliance.

BTW I have noticed the new liberal argument is the ones here are the ones who will carry out terrorism, not the refugees. As though someone who grows up and lives among us being a terrorist is somehow better.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2015, 08:19:53 PM »

Must be hard going through life seeing racism and sexism everywhere you look.

Yeah it's actually pretty sh**t not being a white dude in America.

Not that this forum would know.

America is sh**ty for most people who aren't rich. Most White people included. The fact that most 1%ers are White doesn't reflect on the majority of Whites anymore than the fact that the Paris shooters were Muslims reflects on all Muslims.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2015, 08:46:18 PM »

Wow. From where are you getting this valuable bit of information? I guess the same could be said of France: why would ISIS bother bringing in someone from outside the country, when they've got a bunch of radicalized Muslims already in the country? Makes perfect sense, if you don't think about it...
CapoteMonster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.49, S: -2.61

« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2015, 08:48:45 PM »

Both are possible. But the home grown ones can be under survalliance.

BTW I have noticed the new liberal argument is the ones here are the ones who will carry out terrorism, not the refugees. As though someone who grows up and lives among us being a terrorist is somehow better.

No one's saying that homegrown terrorism is a lesser evil than terrorist acts from foreigners, just that it's a bigger threat. Yet again your're persisting in a ridiculous strawman Bob.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2015, 08:52:28 PM »

There really is nothing to gain by blaming all Muslims for terrorism, nothing at all. That is precisely the sort of thinking that has caused genocide and ethnic cleansing to occur.
CapoteMonster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.49, S: -2.61

« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2015, 08:57:39 PM »

Wow. From where are you getting this valuable bit of information? I guess the same could be said of France: why would ISIS bother bringing in someone from outside the country, when they've got a bunch of radicalized Muslims already in the country? Makes perfect sense, if you don't think about it...

None of the Paris indentifed attackers were from Syria, they're all European nationals. The refugee card found near a body is most likely a fake according to France's foreign minister.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2015, 09:00:09 PM »

It was posted by some campaign-person. When she personally tweets something, it is followed by a --Hillary.

There's literally a video of her saying it...
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2015, 09:04:05 PM »

She's completely right, of course.  ISIS has nothing to do with Islam any more than the KKK has to do with Christianity.  I understand that it's easier for Republicans to think that ISIS supporters account for 50% of all Muslim people of whatever, but everybody else understands otherwise.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2015, 09:29:35 PM »

While not phrased particularly well, I see her point. Average, everyday Muslims cannot be blamed or punished for what extremists do. While it's true that many, possibly a majority of terrorists are Muslim, the opposite is not true.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2015, 09:35:15 PM »

The Wahhabist House of Saud certainly has something to do with all the crazy jihadists running around.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2015, 10:43:09 PM »

In 1942 I wish more public figures had said "Japanese-Americans have nothing to do with treason."  Perhaps my family would not have wound up in an internment camp.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2015, 10:53:48 PM »

All she had to do was add "the vast majority of" and even strengthened it with "deplore Daesh". For some reason, she often misses what should be a lay-up of an uncontroversial statement.

Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2015, 10:58:02 PM »

In 1942 I wish more public figures had said "Japanese-Americans have nothing to do with treason."  Perhaps my family would not have wound up in an internment camp.

Be careful.  When someone starts making sense and pointing out the ugliness that half this country revels in the thread gets banished to a dark corner where it can be hidden.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2015, 11:39:18 PM »

Yeah, no one has ever been able to explain to me what Republicans' obsession with calling it "radical Islam" is, other than Islamophobia. I mean, I sometimes call it that myself, but it's not something I particularly care about.

Well youre a grennnie from MA, so I have no doubt youre confused. Moderate Muislims use the term. I guess by refusing to use the term radical muslims, youre saying that all muslims are the same...Ok Pam Geller.

OK.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies