Rubio's ISIS strategy? Start a Civil War in Iraq (???)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:19:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Rubio's ISIS strategy? Start a Civil War in Iraq (???)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rubio's ISIS strategy? Start a Civil War in Iraq (???)  (Read 554 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 19, 2015, 04:35:46 PM »

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/11/rubio-isil-strategy-213377

"Furthermore, I understand the ideological conflict at the heart of this struggle and will apply the appropriate pressure to tip the scales in favor of peace and stability. As president, I would demand that Iraq’s Shiite-dominated government grant greater autonomy to Sunnis, and would provide direct military support to Sunnis and the Kurds if Baghdad fails to support them. I would back those demands with intense diplomatic pressure and the leverage of greater American military assistance to Iraq."

Huh
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 04:39:20 PM »

What a loon!
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 05:20:29 PM »

No, Rubio is on the right track here, with the idea of de facto partitions (it already is sort of de facto, just unstable, with the wrong guys running the Sunni areas by and large), with of course some coercion as to who runs the Sunni sector (it ain't going to be ISIS). And he was careful not to chat about boots on the ground. He's handling this right in my opinion.
Admiral Kizaru
Political Matrix
E: -3.61, S: -3.83

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 07:35:48 PM »

Careful? Cowardly more like.

The top comment below that article sums up my thoughts on the matter rather well.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I really wish the answer to the entire mess was as simple and straightforward as Rubio seems to think it is.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 07:53:19 PM »

Not. Ready. For Prime time.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 08:33:34 PM »

I think that "make sure the Shias don't oppress the Sunnis" is rather clearly Rubio's message here. No need to feign confusion.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 08:33:55 PM »

You guys understand that what he actually says doesn't matter, right?  Maybe thirty or so Republican voters actually recognize what he said is nonsense.  The rest of them will hear this and say, "wail there's gobs of faincy Ay-Rab words in there, so this wetback fella MUST know what he's talkin about!"
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 03:14:07 AM »

There is already a Civil War in Iraq.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 03:29:43 AM »

I don't think I've heard a single foreign policy plan yet, from either party, that actually sounds well-thought out and workable. But coming out and saying "Let's just keep doing what we're doing" or "I'll just let the Joint Chiefs determine our strategy" is political suicide (Despite probably being the right option)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 04:02:14 AM »

3 state solution under Biden's 2006 plan is the nuclear option for Iraq
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2015, 07:35:58 AM »

3 state solution under Biden's 2006 plan is the nuclear option for Iraq

Biden's oft-ridiculed plan that now doesn't look so bad.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2015, 08:56:19 AM »

Yeah, Rubio is saying to formalize what is already the case: the territory of Iraq is under the control of three distinct groups -- Shias, Sunnis, and Kurds. I'm always curious why we don't spend more time and energy supporting the one group who has been steadfast in standing with us, the Kurds. Yes, Joe Biden was absolutely right in proposing the three state solution.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2015, 09:29:49 AM »

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/11/rubio-isil-strategy-213377

"Furthermore, I understand the ideological conflict at the heart of this struggle and will apply the appropriate pressure to tip the scales in favor of peace and stability. As president, I would demand that Iraq’s Shiite-dominated government grant greater autonomy to Sunnis, and would provide direct military support to Sunnis and the Kurds if Baghdad fails to support them. I would back those demands with intense diplomatic pressure and the leverage of greater American military assistance to Iraq."

Huh

Boy you can't accept the fact that you are supporting the dumbest candidate for President since Al Sharpton. Stop taking things Rubio and other real Americans say out of context.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2015, 09:30:36 AM »

Yeah, Rubio is saying to formalize what is already the case: the territory of Iraq is under the control of three distinct groups -- Shias, Sunnis, and Kurds. I'm always curious why we don't spend more time and energy supporting the one group who has been steadfast in standing with us, the Kurds. Yes, Joe Biden was absolutely right in proposing the three state solution.

The problem is the diplomatic balancing act with our NATO partners in Turkey. The Turks have a large Kurdish minority (more than double the number in Iraq) who have pushed for autonomy within Turkey, sometimes by violent means. The last thing the Turks want is an independent Kurdish state, for fear of the consequences for Turkey's own integrity. That's why talking about more Kurdish autonomy within Iraq, but not independence, has been virtually required in any serious discussion.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies