What Will/Would Louisiana Look Like Under A Governor Edwards?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:13:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  What Will/Would Louisiana Look Like Under A Governor Edwards?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What Will/Would Louisiana Look Like Under A Governor Edwards?  (Read 2354 times)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 20, 2015, 12:32:18 AM »

Will the legislature be able to work with him, since that will be overwhelmingly Republican still? He DOES have bipartisan support for his campaign right now, clearly. Will this constant threat of gridlock make the state better with bipartisan solutions, etc?
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 12:39:42 AM »

I sure hope so. After 8 years of that tanned trainwreck Jindal, Lousiana deserves someone better.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 12:45:35 AM »

Its probably worth noting that in Louisiana, its tradition that the Governor picks the legislative leaders (Speaker, Pro Temp, etc.). We could very likely see a coalition of moderate Republicans and Democrats leading under Edwards.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 01:29:15 AM »

I sure hope so. After 8 years of that tanned trainwreck Jindal, Lousiana deserves someone better.

I break with Republicans on a TON of stuff, but Jesus, man ... there really is a double standard for what Republicans and Democrats can say.  If a Republican said that about an Indian-American Democratic governor ... wouldn't be pretty.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 01:38:41 AM »

Its probably worth noting that in Louisiana, its tradition that the Governor picks the legislative leaders (Speaker, Pro Temp, etc.). We could very likely see a coalition of moderate Republicans and Democrats leading under Edwards.

I think there has been a bit of slight of hand. The Senate will probably be 26R-13D. Peeling the away seven "moderate" Republicans is achievable. What the Senate does not have is 13 "moderate" Democrats. Some of the 13 Democratic Senators are liberal. Shifting right enough to pick up some not-so-conservative Republicans risks loosing liberal Democrats. On the other hand, the most liberal of Democratic Senators are going to want something for going along with the Edwards program. Voting for Edwards over Vitter is a vote for empowering liberals.

Were Edwards to win, and if the ideological and policy differences between Vitter and Edwards are as slight as you have suggested, the best path forward for John Edwards would be to simply switch parties after the election. I don't see that happening because Edwards isn't the "conservative" his surrogates are claiming that he is. That's rather ironic for a candidate running on the slogan that his opponent is a "liar."
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 02:03:16 AM »

Only noted idiot BigSkyBob could suggest that Edwards should switch parties before he is even elected as a Democrat.

OT: Freedom State, of course.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 02:32:24 AM »

Only noted idiot BigSkyBob could suggest that Edwards should switch parties before he is even elected as a Democrat.

Your theory has the problem that I don't suggest "Edwards switch parties" precisely because I believe that John Bel Edwards is left of center. Other have stated thing like Edwards is a "conservative Democrat" and that Vitter [certainly a conservative] and Edwards agree on most major issues. If they are right, which I do not believe, then Edwards easiest path forward to govern from the right is to switch parties. [Nor, did I suggest he switch parties today. I merely speculated about him following the example of Buddy Roemer [sp?] and switching parties after he was elected as a Democrat, assuming he is a conservative, and wants to govern as a conservative, which are two things that I simply don't believe to be true.]
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 02:56:28 AM »

Absolutely. And i would add that Edwards will surely toe conservative-leaning line on social issues (you can't pass a "progressive legislation" in so socially conservative state, especially -  in State Senate, which is 2:1 Republican), but at least somewhat populist on economy, education and so on. There he may have considerable support from legislature, where there is substantial number of former Democrats (who now compose considerable part of "saner" fraction of Republican caucus).
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 02:57:10 AM »
« Edited: November 20, 2015, 03:00:34 AM by smoltchanov »

I break with Republicans on a TON of stuff, but Jesus, man ... there really is a double standard for what Republicans and Democrats can say.  If a Republican said that about an Indian-American Democratic governor ... wouldn't be pretty.

+100. When i see how many Democrats treat Republican (or - simply conservative-leaning) minority candidates and officials - an old 6-letter "n...er" word, so beloved by segregationists of the past, immediately springs to my mind..
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 02:58:44 AM »

I break with Republicans on a TON of stuff, but Jesus, man ... there really is a double standard for what Republicans and Democrats can say.  If a Republican said that about an Indian-American Democratic governor ... wouldn't be pretty.

People who would cry about that, are pretty stupid people though.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2015, 07:38:18 AM »

They'll probably be able to expand Medicaid
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2015, 12:03:30 PM »

I hope Edwards appoints Dardenne to something high up.

It would be amazing if Dardenne runs as an independent for Senator in 2016 and picks up a large coalition in LA.
Hydera

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2015, 12:34:41 PM »

No difference considering the legislature is totally controlled by the GOP.

Thinking back to McAuliffe in Virginia who has mostly kept the previous governor's fiscal policy in place. The only difference would be that some tweaks for democratic leaning policies but thats it.  Medicaid expansion is off the table without support of legislature which won't happen.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2015, 01:52:32 PM »

Err... Wasn't Jindal the one who initially and awkwardly described himself as "tanned"?
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2015, 09:50:15 PM »

His campaign slogan was "Tanned, Rested, Ready"

Not making this up
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2015, 11:49:30 PM »

Broke.  The current occupant and low energy prices are the reason why.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2015, 11:59:42 PM »
« Edited: November 22, 2015, 08:45:31 AM by The Arizonan »

There is a double standard when it comes to Democrats and Republicans.

When former Senator Bob Byrd (D-WV) died, they barely mentioned that he was a Klan member. If he had been a Republican, they would've kept mentioning it throughout the news cycle.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2015, 12:12:03 AM »

Your theory has the problem that I don't suggest "Edwards switch parties" precisely because I believe that John Bel Edwards is left of center. Other have stated thing like Edwards is a "conservative Democrat" and that Vitter [certainly a conservative] and Edwards agree on most major issues. If they are right, which I do not believe, then Edwards easiest path forward to govern from the right is to switch parties. [Nor, did I suggest he switch parties today. I merely speculated about him following the example of Buddy Roemer [sp?] and switching parties after he was elected as a Democrat, assuming he is a conservative, and wants to govern as a conservative, which are two things that I simply don't believe to be true.]

'Conservative Democrat' means 'conservative for a Democrat', not 'Democrat who is A Conservative'.

I've pointed out your tendency to speak as if 'conservative' is a binary, yes-or-no, non-relative descriptor before. It's a very curious belief you have there.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2015, 12:15:02 PM »

'Conservative Democrat' means 'conservative for a Democrat', not 'Democrat who is A Conservative'.

I've pointed out your tendency to speak as if 'conservative' is a binary, yes-or-no, non-relative descriptor before. It's a very curious belief you have there.

And, I consider your belief to be rather odd yourself.  In general, "conservative" and "liberal" a nexus of beliefs about issues of public concern. Either "conservative" as a label refers to the former nexus or it does not.

The English language has a term for a somewhat liberal Democrat who is further to the right than a liberal Democrat: "a relatively conservative Democrat."

When you conflate, "a relatively conservative Democrat" with "an [actually] conservative Democrat" then you negate any ability to distinguish between the two [which, is probably the point to this particular abuse of the English language. "Conservative Democrat" is much easier sell than "somewhat liberal" south of the Mason Dixon line.]
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2015, 12:22:43 PM »

And, I consider your belief to be rather odd yourself.  In general, "conservative" and "liberal" a nexus of beliefs about issues of public concern. Either "conservative" as a label refers to the former nexus or it does not.

The English language has a term for a somewhat liberal Democrat who is further to the right than a liberal Democrat: "a relatively conservative Democrat."

When you conflate, "a relatively conservative Democrat" with "an [actually] conservative Democrat" then you negate any ability to distinguish between the two [which, is probably the point to this particular abuse of the English language. "Conservative Democrat" is much easier sell than "somewhat liberal" south of the Mason Dixon line.]

OK, but nobody is going to campaign while referring to themselves "a relatively conservative Democrat" (and the media certainly won't either) because that essentially is word-vomit and sounds stupid.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2015, 12:29:16 PM »

Pictured here: losing candidate JBE's logo at the behest of campaign manager BigSkyBob

BigSkyBob

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2015, 01:23:32 PM »

And, I consider your belief to be rather odd yourself.  In general, "conservative" and "liberal" a nexus of beliefs about issues of public concern. Either "conservative" as a label refers to the former nexus or it does not.

OK, but nobody is going to campaign while referring to themselves "a relatively conservative Democrat" (and the media certainly won't either) because that essentially is word-vomit and sounds stupid.

Umm, "moderate" would suffice, as would "moderate Democrat." Note that "moderate Democrat" would connote a Democrat that is "moderate" on the issues. So, why shouldn't "conservative Democrat" refer to a Democrat that is conservative on the issues?

Nor, do people say "liberal Democrats" to refer to Democrats that are relatively further to the left than a generic "liberal" or a generic "Democrat."

"Conservative Democrat" is a marketing ploy akin claiming one particular model is "the sporty Yugo!," or "the fuel-efficient Hummer!"
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2015, 01:31:34 PM »

Edwards has said that the expansion of Medicare is his top priority and the hiring of Ben Nevers would seem to reinforce that idea.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2015, 11:45:51 PM »

Edwards' key to success is to NOT switch parties.  It didn't work for Buddy Roemer.  Roemer, I believe, would have been reelected in 1991 had he remained a Democrat, governing as a conservative, but demonstrating nominal loyalty to the national party.  Instead, Roemer drank the Bush 41 Kool Aid and switched parties, causing Democrats and Republicans alike to hate him.  Edwards's key is to be both a conservative Democrat and a loyal Democrat.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies