opinion of hippies
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:06:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  opinion of hippies
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: opinion of hippies
FFs

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: opinion of hippies  (Read 1054 times)
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 20, 2015, 02:01:39 AM »

discuss
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 06:12:21 AM »

Do you know how to starve one to death?  Hide his SNAP card under his work boots.

As a punk, it's required (by law) for me to hate hippies.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 09:55:11 AM »

Horrible.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 10:34:21 AM »

FFs in music and fashion, HPs politically and culturally.

I have my own theory about how the hippies and anti-war protesters came out the way they did.  Their parents had mostly lived through the Great Depression and World War II, so they knew what adversity and sacrifice were like.  But the counterculture generation had lived almost their entire lives in peace, prosperity, and security.  So when they were called upon to make a sacrifice for their country like their parents did, they resisted with all their might.  And of course, even left-wing academics will admit that most of them came from relatively wealthy families, which is further evidence for this.  Simply put, they were a bunch of ungrateful spoiled brats.  And the worst part is that now they are running our government and college campuses, indoctrinating the next generation into their backwards ideology.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 01:57:34 PM »

Do you know how to starve one to death?  Hide his SNAP card under his work boots.

Lol if you think this joke was originally about hippies.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 02:01:16 PM »

As a punk, it's required (by law) for me to hate hippies.

As a self-proclaimed punk, shouldn't you not care about silly things like laws? Wink
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 02:49:14 PM »

Real hippies are obvious FFs. The bandwagon ones who went yuppie in the late 1970s and 1980s are obvious HPs.

I have my own theory about how the hippies and anti-war protesters came out the way they did.  Their parents had mostly lived through the Great Depression and World War II, so they knew what adversity and sacrifice were like.  But the counterculture generation had lived almost their entire lives in peace, prosperity, and security.  So when they were called upon to make a sacrifice for their country like their parents did, they resisted with all their might.  And of course, even left-wing academics will admit that most of them came from relatively wealthy families, which is further evidence for this.  Simply put, they were a bunch of ungrateful spoiled brats.  And the worst part is that now they are running our government and college campuses, indoctrinating the next generation into their backwards ideology.

This conveniently ignores not only that many literally risked their lives to oppose the war, but that many hippies started out in the civil rights movement, which predated Vietnam. And how is a generation that is being told every day they must be willing to blow up humanity to stop "commies" living in a time of security?

The notion they presently run the government is an extremely bizarre charge.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 03:13:39 PM »

I have no overarching viewpoint of all hippies. There are FF hippies and HP hippies.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 03:41:00 PM »

Overall pretty harmless. FF in lifestyle, terrible politics but they're usually much less laid back about them than their spiritual successors.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 03:41:12 PM »

Clearly HP, they started the disastrous counter culture movement, which led to the destruction of the American family, rise in crime, and the SJW movement.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2015, 03:42:27 PM »

Real hippies are obvious FFs. The bandwagon ones who went yuppie in the late 1970s and 1980s are obvious HPs.

This conveniently ignores not only that many literally risked their lives to oppose the war, but that many hippies started out in the civil rights movement, which predated Vietnam. And how is a generation that is being told every day they must be willing to blow up humanity to stop "commies" living in a time of security?

The commies had to be stopped, or they would continue to expand and destroy freedom
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2015, 03:43:21 PM »

The original hippies might've been running everything in the 90s, but they're retired now. They're between 58 (16 in 1973) and 83 (35 in 1967) years old.

Also, they were a definite minority, just as SJWs (closest political analogue) or EDM fans (closest musical pop-culture analogue) are a definite minority among young people now.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2015, 04:08:48 PM »

I think I am the only one around here old enough to have met actual hippies. Heck, I tooled up to SF to check them out in Haight Ashbury in their heyday. It was all rather ephemeral. Some realized that they actually needed to earn a living (many were pretty well educated, so they could do well on the civil service job and get post office jobs, while keeping their long hair), or turned to hard drugs and became street derelicts. So the era of the Flower Children was rather brief.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2015, 04:37:27 PM »

The non-militant ones are great (Militant hippies might seem like a misnomer.. but really they're just super passive aggressive hippies with a chip on their shoulder).  But that can be said about anybody really.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2015, 05:26:08 PM »

There are obviously some bad ones, but most hippies I've known are very nice people.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2015, 05:36:03 PM »

The commies had to be stopped, or they would continue to expand and destroy freedom

Yes, children in North Vietnam deserved to have napalm dropped on them just because they're government wanted independence and an economic system which the US didn't approve of.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2015, 07:22:29 PM »

Yes, children in North Vietnam deserved to have napalm dropped on them just because they're government wanted independence and an economic system which the US didn't approve of.

I never said I approved of sending troops to Vietnam, I think the US should have just armed Anti Communist rebels in North Vietnam
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies