Which remaining GOP candidate best truly represents the base of the GOP today?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:35:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which remaining GOP candidate best truly represents the base of the GOP today?
Trump

Carson

Rubio

Cruz

Jeb

Fiorina

Kasich

Paul

Huckabee

Christie

Santorum

Graham

Pataki

Gilmore

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: Which remaining GOP candidate best truly represents the base of the GOP today?  (Read 496 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 20, 2015, 05:11:07 PM »

Not who you think should win, or is most likely to win... which candidate is truly the best stand-in for the base of the Republican Party?
EliteLX
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.64, S: 0.85

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 05:54:25 PM »
« Edited: November 20, 2015, 06:00:23 PM by EliteLX »

Cruz, by a longshot.

Trump's only true policy experience is money and quote "immigration reform". He has his base because he has some balls and truly does not give one flying tomato what anybody has to think about what he says. Absolutely riles up a quarter of the older GOP primary voters. As far as actual values and policy goes, Cruz represents the majority of the GOP base by far.

All the trump voters from the poll are Atlas dems, sorry. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 10:15:33 PM »

It seems to me that Rubio is very near the ideological midpoint of all Republicans.

But for the most committed Republicans, I'm not sure. Perhaps Cruz, but the outlandish things he says continue to push me away (and I'm very conservative).

Not Trump. I have no reason to believe most Republicans want Muslims to have to carry special ID cards.

The amount of bigoted vitriol coming from prominent members of my party against Muslims lately has just been horrible, and I'm pretty embarrassed.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 10:20:27 PM »

Not Trump. I have no reason to believe most Republicans want Muslims to have to carry special ID cards.

The amount of bigoted vitriol coming from prominent members of my party against Muslims lately has just been horrible, and I'm pretty embarrassed.

I completely agree. This is one of those moments where I'd rather not see how the sausages are made. But we must deal with things as they are.

Also what's with the poisoned food analogies everyone seems to be using? One would think we're planning on eating the refugees or something.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 10:25:20 PM »

Cruz, of course. The base of the Republican Party is hostile towards immigrants, incredibly hostile towards Muslims but it's not vulgar; the Republican Party is still largely the party of prim and proper small business owners, retired managerial-types etc.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 10:26:37 PM »

Cruz best represents the base.  Rubio is roughly in the middle of the GOP.  Trump's support doesn't come from the base, but a group of voters who have been more disaffected.
Volrath50
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -5.57

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 10:32:46 PM »

I've always thought of Ted Cruz as a sort of personification of the GOP base. Marco Rubio or maybe even Jeb Bush probably better represents the average Republican.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies