Opinion of Akron, Ohio
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:35:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of Akron, Ohio
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Your opinion of my county's seat
FC

HC

Mixed

None/Dunno

It's South Cleveland, and it should stop pretending otherwise

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 24

Author Topic: Opinion of Akron, Ohio  (Read 646 times)
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 21, 2015, 12:38:23 AM »

What is your opinion of my county seat of Akron?

I like it, in the sense that I don't dislike it, but I don't like that it's engineering oriented university has been ruined by a deeply corrupt administration.

While there isn't any rivalry between Akron and Cleveland, I've heard a few express the last opinion during the Lebron James going to south beach dramafest. Lebron may have one point defended himself by saying that Cleveland's not his hometown - Akron is. Now that he's thankfully back NEOhio can be a big happy region again.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 12:48:57 AM »

Funny you bring up some of that Cleveland rivalry. We play the University tomorrow, and I was thinking of making a sign like "An Akron 10 is a Cleveland 5" or simply "Akron only exists to make Cleveland look good". I don't know if that's exactly how I feel about it as it actually seems like a better city than Cleveland based off preconceptions alone. Don't know all that much about either. I'll be honest - Main Street looks incredibly lame for a city of that size, and it doesn't have much to walk to. Voted FC, but I'm not sure I'd last there.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 01:01:40 AM »
« Edited: November 21, 2015, 01:03:22 AM by bagelman »

Funny you bring up some of that Cleveland rivalry. We play the University tomorrow, and I was thinking of making a sign like "An Akron 10 is a Cleveland 5" or simply "Akron only exists to make Cleveland look good". I don't know if that's exactly how I feel about it as it actually seems like a better city than Cleveland based off preconceptions alone. Don't know all that much about either. I'll be honest - Main Street looks incredibly lame for a city of that size, and it doesn't have much to walk to. Voted FC, but I'm not sure I'd last there.

Well there's not a rivalry between the two cities like there is between NYC and Boston or LA vs. SF, but those signs would still be good taunts. Tongue

Also when I watched the AA Akron Aeros (known as the RubberDucks since 2014) win a championship as a teenager, I remember feeling proud of Akron for doing what Cleveland is never able to do - win a championship. Even though AA Akron is a minor league team and the star player began playing for Cleveland next season.

As for livability, I've been to Philly for a short time period (a vacation that lasted just a couple days) and Philly feels alive while the streets of Akron don't usually have large crowds. It's not uncommon to walk down the street and the street is empty.

Philly has more violent crime than Akron but Akron has far more property crime. Cleveland is worse in both categories except for theft.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 04:13:15 PM »

Visited the U of Akron for a conference, was at the airport, a few bar restaurants, and was at the mall there a little north of the city - I liked the size of it and what I saw of it during the times I have been there, but I understand there are some rougher neighborhoods. Most towns have that.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 08:24:04 PM »

Mixed vote on the city of the men of rubber. My opinion of it is pretty elastic.

You would have a whole lot more to do in Cleveland. Sure it has a higher crime rate, but I doubt you'd go for a walk through Central and Kinsman, so it probably doesn't affect you much visiting. I would say Cleveland has both more going for it and more going against it if that makes any sense.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 12:25:09 AM »

Mixed vote on the city of the men of rubber. My opinion of it is pretty elastic.

You would have a whole lot more to do in Cleveland. Sure it has a higher crime rate, but I doubt you'd go for a walk through Central and Kinsman, so it probably doesn't affect you much visiting. I would say Cleveland has both more going for it and more going against it if that makes any sense.

Yea, I'd agree with that. It's more of good and bad, and not better or worse.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 10:43:58 PM »

spent 4 years there.

meh.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 02:09:05 PM »

Haven't been there but Massive FC. One of the motors of American industrial strength in mid-century and its residents, if the female members of the city's ethnic German association I saw at the Donauschwaben festival last summer are representative, are extremely attractive.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 10:27:51 PM »

I clicked HC but idk what it means
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 10:59:50 PM »

FC= Freedom City, which means good

HC= Horrible City

Of course if you haven't actually been there I dunno why you would want to judge.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2015, 07:03:17 PM »

Freedom City.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 07:39:47 AM »

I don't go there much and I live 15 mins away.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2015, 11:01:03 PM »

Definitely a Freedom City

Home of the Black Keys Cool

It has a history to be proud of, unlike Warren County, OH.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies