Pew poll on global support for free expression (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:02:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Pew poll on global support for free expression (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pew poll on global support for free expression  (Read 2389 times)
Hnv1
YaBB God

« on: November 21, 2015, 03:50:42 PM »

Lebanon seems more liberal than Israel in many aspects.
I suspect a small glitch in the poll. not sure if they polled outside of Beirut or some of the coastal cities, and likewise in Israel
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 08:38:19 AM »

I don't have a problem in theory with banning hate speech, the problem is who defines what is and isn't hate speech. Denying the Holocaust, obviously hate speech. Saying slavery was good, also hate speech. Is being pro-life hate speech against women though? I've heard that said many times recently. I've heard people on this forum say that opposing affirmative action is hate speech. Is questioning the economic impact of immigration hate speech? It's hard enough to draw a line in the first place, but it's especially hard in the current culture where people are trying to outdo each other in terms of being the most "privilege conscious" person in the room. It basically becomes a competition to see who can label the most speech as hateful.
Is holocaust denying so severe that it much be considered a criminal offence? I would think it's where moral stands as contrary to where the law should stand. I think speech and speech acts should be a criminal offence where they pose a likely threat of causing physical violence
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies