Why is the educational differential so large in the Pacific NW?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:50:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why is the educational differential so large in the Pacific NW?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why is the educational differential so large in the Pacific NW?  (Read 1016 times)
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 21, 2015, 03:06:23 AM »

http://www.cnn.com/election/2014/results/state/OR/senate

The income divide among voters in Oregon in 2014 was nonexistent, whereas the education gap was huge - postgraduate degree holders voted 75% for Merkley, compared to just 43% for the high school cohort.  I don't have the link on me, but I recall Washington having a similar divide.  This 32% gap is just staggering.

Obviously the racial homogeneity and lack of religion in Oregon are factors here, but what else comes into play here?

Compare this to Minnesota, which has similar factors at play - here, the gap was only 11 points between the high school and postgraduate cohorts in terms of Franken vote (53 and 64, respectively).

Obviously, in many Southern states, due to racial polarization and a greater income effect, the postgraduate effect is much smaller if at all existing - no such gap existed in the TX-Senate or GA-Senate races, for instance.  But it still seems odd that this effect is so pronounced in the Pacific Northwest.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 10:46:44 AM »

I think that, nationally, race really helps to narrow the education gap, what with Hispanics and Blacks cancelling out white working class votes.  Oregon has a few Hispanics, but they likely hardly vote and the black vote is essentially nonexistent due in large part to statewide racial bans and later racially exclusive covenants during the Great Migration.  Minnesota also has a much more Democrat-friendly rural white working class and in general less of a rural-urban divide than we do.  The white working class parts of Oregon (and, to a lesser extent, WA) have basically all flipped to the Republicans, while affluent, educated Portland and its suburbs + Eugene are basically the bedrock of the Democrat vote in Oregon (Seattle and its suburbs serve the same purpose up here).
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 02:36:00 PM »

I think that, nationally, race really helps to narrow the education gap, what with Hispanics and Blacks cancelling out white working class votes.  Oregon has a few Hispanics, but they likely hardly vote and the black vote is essentially nonexistent due in large part to statewide racial bans and later racially exclusive covenants during the Great Migration.  Minnesota also has a much more Democrat-friendly rural white working class and in general less of a rural-urban divide than we do.  The white working class parts of Oregon (and, to a lesser extent, WA) have basically all flipped to the Republicans, while affluent, educated Portland and its suburbs + Eugene are basically the bedrock of the Democrat vote in Oregon (Seattle and its suburbs serve the same purpose up here).

I guess the more interesting question is, why did white affluent professionals turn so hard against the GOP in OR/WA when the trend was far less strong in other parts of the country, especially the South?  I assume religion and environmental issues are possible explanatory factors?
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 02:56:18 PM »

I guess the more interesting question is, why did white affluent professionals turn so hard against the GOP in OR/WA when the trend was far less strong in other parts of the country, especially the South?  I assume religion and environmental issues are possible explanatory factors?

Yeah, I think it comes down to social issues.  Affluent Seattle and Portland suburban whites tend to be pretty secular, though there are certainly exceptions.  And while they will sometimes vote for Republicans downballot (especially in WA where the state GOP are competently run) their social liberal tendencies definitely outweigh their anti-tax attitudes.  Notice how the relatively socially liberal Rossi and McKenna managed to significantly outperform the national GOP ticket in 2004, 2008, and 2012, but the GOP hasn't been able to come close in recent Senate races.  Even Rossi couldn't win during the 2010 wave.

I'm curious, though, did Romney experience a similar relative drop-off among white affluent professionals in California?
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 03:00:09 PM »

The white working class parts of Oregon (and, to a lesser extent, WA) have basically all flipped to the Republicans

Not all of them. The white logging counties still vote Democratic in general.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 03:15:10 PM »

The white working class parts of Oregon (and, to a lesser extent, WA) have basically all flipped to the Republicans

Yeah, I'd hardly consider Grays Harbor/Pacific/Cowlitz/Wahkiakum in WA or Columbia/Clatsop/Tillamook in OR "white professional" by any standard. They have slightly more tourism-based economies but not to any massive extent.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 03:15:53 PM »

Yeah, I think it comes down to social issues.  Affluent Seattle and Portland suburban whites tend to be pretty secular, though there are certainly exceptions.  And while they will sometimes vote for Republicans downballot (especially in WA where the state GOP are competently run) their social liberal tendencies definitely outweigh their anti-tax attitudes.  Notice how the relatively socially liberal Rossi and McKenna managed to significantly outperform the national GOP ticket in 2004, 2008, and 2012, but the GOP hasn't been able to come close in recent Senate races.  Even Rossi couldn't win during the 2010 wave.

I'm curious, though, did Romney experience a similar relative drop-off among white affluent professionals in California?

I haven't looked into it too much; I'm not from California, but I am a freshman at a university in California.  My gut tells me that in Northern California (especially Silicon Valley and the coastal cities), there's a far greater educational disparity than in Southern California.  

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/elections/2014/CA/governor/exitpoll

Looking at the link here, the gap between postgraduate degree-holders and high school grads is 14%, which is less than half what it was in Oregon.  

It seems like there's something about the West coast (with the exceptions of Southwest Oregon and San Diego/Orange County) that leads to very liberal professional whites.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 03:20:55 PM »

Yeah, I'd hardly consider Grays Harbor/Pacific/Cowlitz/Wahkiakum in WA or Columbia/Clatsop/Tillamook in OR "white professional" by any standard. They have slightly more tourism-based economies but not to any massive extent.

I just noticed that trend looking at a county map and it made me wonder:  why is rural Northwest Oregon so much more liberal than rural Southwest Oregon?  They seem like they'd have similar voting behavior.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 03:27:51 PM »

Yeah, definitely in WA at least, though the Democrats have started slipping a bit there too.  Back in the 70's those were the most heavily Democratic counties in the state, but now they tend to be pretty swingy.  My old legislative district, the 35th, is now essentially represented by three Republicans.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 03:50:31 PM »
« Edited: November 21, 2015, 03:56:46 PM by realisticidealist »

I just noticed that trend looking at a county map and it made me wonder:  why is rural Northwest Oregon so much more liberal than rural Southwest Oregon?  They seem like they'd have similar voting behavior.

Let's compare the averages of Columbia/Clatsop/Tillamook to Coos/Curry/Josephine:

CCTCCJ
2012 Obama %52.0%40.5%
2014 Kitzhaber %45.0%39.5%
Pop Density47.634.5
% White87.7%87.7%
Median HH Income4777638396
Poverty Rate13.2%16.2%
Postgrad Rate7.0%6.7%
Ag Land %7.2%8.0%
Woodland as % of Ag Land26.5%30.8%
% Employed in Ag/Forest/Mining5.8%3.7%
% Employed in Accommodations10.7%7.6%
% Never Married23.0%21.6%

In general, the northern coast is somewhat more dense, more educated, more tourist-y, more logging-based, etc, with the biggest difference being in terms of income. I think some of it also has to do with proximity to Portland versus the lack of proximity to any major population hub for the southern coast.

Interestingly, on the state level, the divide between the two regions is half that of the federal level.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies