It's July 22, 2016. TRUMP.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:47:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  It's July 22, 2016. TRUMP.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: It's July 22, 2016. TRUMP.  (Read 3057 times)
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 21, 2015, 04:32:46 PM »

It's July 22, 2016.  Donald Trump has just been designated the Republican party nominee for president of the United States.  Ivanka and Melania both gave surprisingly good speeches, while Trump's went on for almost 45 minutes longer than the hour he'd been given.  His policies and style haven't changed.  Ted Cruz is the VP.  The party did everything it could to try to stop him but in the end rules were rules and the will of 1500 delegates couldn't be denied.

What does the Republican party do now?  Do they throw their full support behind him and try to demonize Hillary as much as possible and play Trump's game?  Do they conspire with disaffected Democrats to push a third party candidate?  Does the establishment disown Trump and simply try to contain the damage?  Do they assassinate Trump and Cruz and pin the blame on Hillary?
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 04:36:10 PM »

Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 04:39:33 PM »

It would be tough, but Johnson could potentially hit 5%. I might even be inclined to vote for him.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 04:42:29 PM »

It would be tough, but Johnson could potentially hit 5%. I might even be inclined to vote for him.

Both Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump support government-run health care, protectionism, class warfare, economic "stimulus," higher taxes on the rich, direct talks with terrorists, and more "investments" (i.e. deficit spending.

Gary Johnson would be the only candidate of freedom. I'm not inclined to support him over HRC and Trump, I would!
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 04:45:16 PM »

JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 04:45:53 PM »

For those running for reelection in swing districts, they really have no choice.  Either abandon him and leave you base, or give some semblance of embracing him, and abandon the Independent swing voters.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 04:48:39 PM »

In this scenario, he would be in a honeymoon period and probably leading Clinton in the polls.

The current political climate isn't conducive to landslide losses for a Republican candidate, and by the time of the election, in the (fantastical) world where Trump is the nominee, he'd probably not perform much worse than the average "milquetoast" Republican or whatever.
wolfsblood07
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 04:48:46 PM »

It won't happen.  The party establishment will never let Trump take over the party.  Trump can't win at the Republican convention unless he has the support of the party insiders, which he does not have.  If necessary, and I doubt it will come to this, they will disqualify his delegates.  Trump may go Reform Party, but will not be a factor in the general election even then.  0 electoral votes, less than 5% of the popular vote.  Trump has absolutely no chance.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 04:59:24 PM »

Gary Johnson would get a ton of votes from Republicans. But the party would have to nominally support its nominee.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 05:31:34 PM »

I would change my Avatar to red if this happens for the rest of election cycle then change it back to independent after the election is over.
I support Sanders
Bernie2016

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2015, 07:04:14 PM »

Party insiders will sit down with Trump and lay out their ground rules for Trump being the nominee, and how he has to do what the establishment demands. Trump will agree, and then when he gets the votes at the convention call out by name every insider who tried to beat him down and make him a slave to the Party establishment.
EliteLX
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.64, S: 0.85

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2015, 08:00:39 PM »

Party insiders will sit down with Trump and lay out their ground rules for Trump being the nominee, and how he has to do what the establishment demands. Trump will agree, and then when he gets the votes at the convention call out by name every insider who tried to beat him down and make him a slave to the Party establishment.

Can you freaking imagine?! If the Donald somehow made it to the convention and exposed all the establishment insiders games they requested of? It'd turn the election into a damn reality TV show, as if it isn't already.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2015, 09:01:24 PM »

It's July 22, 2016. Donald Trump has just been designated the Republican party nominee ...  Ted Cruz is the VP.

In this scenario, Hillary (somewhat easily) wins the election, with about 55% of the popular vote.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2015, 09:32:50 PM »

lol TRUMP would never negotiate a deal like that, he only negotiates really great deals.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2015, 01:30:59 AM »

I would vote for Gary Johnson... then rage about how our party has become the party of lunatics then re-register as a Democrat....no joke.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2015, 02:24:22 AM »

I would honestly consider voting for Gary Johnson, although in the end Clinton would be my choice.

Why? Would you be voting Republican otherwise? Huh
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2015, 05:30:13 AM »

The establishment would get behind Trump in that scenario. There might be a few defectors, but nothing major. Anything else is wishful thinking on the behalf of democrats and moderate hero republicans.
Cruzcrew
Paleocon
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2015, 08:00:14 AM »

I'd be voting constitution party with both evils being too evil for me.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2015, 08:33:17 AM »

Both Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump support government-run health care, protectionism, class warfare, economic "stimulus," higher taxes on the rich, direct talks with terrorists, and more "investments" (i.e. deficit spending.

Gary Johnson would be the only candidate of freedom. I'm not inclined to support him over HRC and Trump, I would!
Gary Johnson would have my vote as well in a Clinton vs Trump election. I agree that both Clinton and Trump are very flawed candidates and ones that I would never support in any election.
I support Sanders
Bernie2016

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2015, 09:55:10 PM »

Can you freaking imagine?! If the Donald somehow made it to the convention and exposed all the establishment insiders games they requested of? It'd turn the election into a damn reality TV show, as if it isn't already.
Actually, I can imagine it, and think it is quite likely if Trump is the nominee.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2015, 10:28:53 PM »

It won't happen.  The party establishment will never let Trump take over the party.  Trump can't win at the Republican convention unless he has the support of the party insiders, which he does not have.  If necessary, and I doubt it will come to this, they will disqualify his delegates. Trump may go Reform Party, but will not be a factor in the general election even then.  0 electoral votes, less than 5% of the popular vote.  Trump has absolutely no chance.

This would be the end of the GOP as we know it. Trump would run as an independent/write-in and utterly demolish the GOP's chances in 2016. Republican base turnout would plummet and the down-ballot effects would be massive.

The base would never forgive the Republican establishment for this insult. Any GOP elected official who supported this (or was perceived to support this) in any way would be primaried and crushed.

The idea of the establishment blatantly stealing the convention is nonsense.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2015, 10:38:30 PM »

The idea of the establishment blatantly stealing the convention is nonsense.

Agree.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2015, 10:46:47 PM »

And like 50% of people in the republican support that, calm down establishementie.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies