GOP logic
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:17:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  GOP logic
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: GOP logic  (Read 1703 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 22, 2015, 12:24:26 PM »

Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 02:04:59 PM »

I don't get what people mean by freedom "from" religion. Like, are you just talking about the right to not be religious, or are you talking about some way of reducing the influence religion has on the public?
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 03:09:04 PM »

I don't get what people mean by freedom "from" religion. Like, are you just talking about the right to not be religious, or are you talking about some way of reducing the influence religion has on the public?

Everyone has the right to the former, but the Freedom From Religion crowd are usually in favor of doing things like removing "In God We Trust" from coins and taxing churches, implying the latter.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 08:42:42 PM »

Bored there, Lyndon?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 08:48:55 PM »

Only whenever I have to read one of your posts.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 10:51:15 PM »

The fact that Greece is literally a nation of Lyndons is the exact reason why Greece sucks.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 02:00:08 PM »

Everyone has the right to the former, but the Freedom From Religion crowd are usually in favor of doing things like removing "In God We Trust" from coins and taxing churches, implying the latter.

Why does that crowd want to remove references to Christianity from anything that's public? I can understand why they want to remove it from the Pledge of Allegiance and from government oaths since pledges and oaths shouldn't mention a deity someone might not believe in. Having "In God We Trust" on a coin is harmless.

What's next? Removing or changing anything that could make someone feel uncomfortable?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 02:09:34 PM »

This thread is dumb
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 03:24:05 PM »

Well, I mean, I should have known better than to click on a thread started by Landslide, who is the Democratic Party's best propaganda agent.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 03:31:42 PM »

Well, I mean, I should have known better than to click on a thread started by Landslide, who is the Democratic Party's best propaganda agent.

Exactly.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 04:40:11 PM »

Exactly.

Ohhhhh, look at the kids. They are so sad.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 05:21:37 PM »
« Edited: November 23, 2015, 05:31:19 PM by DemPGH »

That's a good question. For me personally, I'd say a bit of both. Certainly the right to not observe any religion, that's kind of a given from my perspective, but the influence of religion on the public sphere and its influence on policy is something I'd very much like to see go away. I think convictions based upon what a person thinks God would want or what is in a holy book are fine for one's personal life (well, so long as those convictions do not infringe on other peoples' rights), but are not something at all that should be imposed on the public by government. Example, "X is wrong because God says so." Well, says who? And that's what "terrifies" me about even moderate Islamic countries. Revelation is a given to them - and they've incorporated it into their authoritarian cultures, but it's storytelling to me. Same with fundamentalism. It's just reactionary at its core.

I guess it boils down to that you have the right to live your life in peace and the way you want to live it, not how some ancient author wants you to live it.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 09:33:02 AM »

Exactly.

Ohhhhh, look at the kids. They are so sad.

The comebacks are getting funnier at an alarming rate.  Atlas must act.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies