Could Vitter have won in a traditional primary?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:01:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Could Vitter have won in a traditional primary?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Could Vitter have won in a traditional primary?  (Read 1074 times)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 22, 2015, 01:25:21 PM »

I suspect much of the reason that Vitter was able to make the runoff in Louisiana is because of their top two blanket primary system.  But given his scandals, could he have won in a traditional party primary?  Discuss.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 01:34:59 PM »

He'd still only need a third of the vote, assuming the same field. So probably.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 01:37:30 PM »

I think so, and likely by a bigger margin. He had the most partisan Republicans. I'm sure Dardenne pulled from some moderate Democrats in the primary and many of Angelle's voters in Acadiana are still registered Democrats.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 12:37:49 AM »

Why would any Democrats cross over and vote for Vitter in the primary?

Well I guess some did to boost Edwards' runoff chances, but probably not that many.

So yeah.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 04:27:57 AM »

There's actually some debate about this in a GA-based campaigning group after someone posted this. My response was really long-winded, of course, but for here I'll just say:

Unless LA maintained the 50% run-off element (which only GA & LA to my knowledge have) when transferring to party-only primaries, then Vitter would have definitely won in the primary election. If there was a primary run-off like there is in GA between the top two in the party, then it's certainly possible that Dardenne or (more likely) Angelle would have won. However, that's not guaranteed and I think Vitter's advantages would have overcome his disadvantages in the end.

About all that would have ended Vitter's chances would be ranked-choice ballots and instant-runoff voting, which was one of the premises in the article that said LA elected the "wrong" Governor. However, that ain't happening, so...I think Vitter would have likely won regardless in any realistic scenario involving traditional US voting.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 09:45:51 PM »

Vitters would lose in a state like Georgia or Texas that has a runoff primary, which is probably the best way to go about it.

But in a regular runoff he'd win.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 02:23:14 AM »

No. Edwards would use our equivalent to big labor machines, suburbanites grouped closely together being bused to the polls, to easily win ~30-40% of the vote.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies