Paul Krugman on why Trump will win and the Establishment is screwed
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:47:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Paul Krugman on why Trump will win and the Establishment is screwed
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Paul Krugman on why Trump will win and the Establishment is screwed  (Read 1299 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 22, 2015, 02:11:34 PM »

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/krugman/2015/11/22/thinking-about-the-trumpthinkable/

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 08:12:10 PM »

Krugman is right once again, unlike all those Very Serious political analysts who predict the imminent collapse of TRUMP since July.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 08:17:36 PM »
« Edited: November 22, 2015, 08:19:36 PM by eric82oslo »

Krugman is right once again, unlike all those Very Serious political analysts who predict the imminent collapse of TRUMP since July.

The only reason why Trump would survive would be because of the inmense racism and hatred for everyone non-white among the GOP electorate. Both you and me know that. All we so-called "experts" are saying is that his intellect is obviously not all that great (perhaps slighly higher than that of George W., but he was probably the single most stupid president in US history as well, so Trump would then become the second most unfit). If the GOP electorate wants another Holocaust on US soil, then they have their constitutional right to demand that, but that doesn't mean that the world society will applaud it. The US of A will be completely ostracized from the world community shortly after instituating Trump as its president, and even long time allies will start to strongly doubt their commitment after a year or two, if not Trump goes 180 degrees on all of his primary rethoric.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 08:20:15 PM »

Hey Eric, what have you done with your life? What have you accomplished? How dare you impugn Trump's intellect, he has achieved more than you could ever imagine. Its absolutely pathetic.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 08:23:35 PM »

Quote from: Restricted

I had no money when I was born or even when I was 12. Today I've managed to save up so much money that I could easily go on perpetual holidays for at least 2 or 3 years without stop, if not more. That's more than Trump can claim, cause his dad made sure that he was a dollar millionaire already before he did a single thing.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 11:24:12 PM »

I had no money when I was born or even when I was 12. Today I've managed to save up so much money that I could easily go on perpetual holidays for at least 2 or 3 years without stop, if not more. That's more than Trump can claim, cause his dad made sure that he was a dollar millionaire already before he did a single thing.

You took the bait
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 02:09:33 AM »

The GOP establishment has been leading voters to this water for decades, and now is absolutely shocked that they'll drink it.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 02:31:05 AM »

You took the bait

And I'm extremely happy to take the bait, why exactly wouldn't I take the bait??
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 12:51:07 PM »

The only reason why Trump would survive would be because of the inmense racism and hatred for everyone non-white among the GOP electorate. Both you and me know that. All we so-called "experts" are saying is that his intellect is obviously not all that great (perhaps slighly higher than that of George W., but he was probably the single most stupid president in US history as well, so Trump would then become the second most unfit). If the GOP electorate wants another Holocaust on US soil, then they have their constitutional right to demand that, but that doesn't mean that the world society will applaud it. The US of A will be completely ostracized from the world community shortly after instituating Trump as its president, and even long time allies will start to strongly doubt their commitment after a year or two, if not Trump goes 180 degrees on all of his primary rethoric.
These people don't hate non-whites per sé. They hate Democrats.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 01:44:52 PM »

The GOP is now facing the final manifestation of its deal with the Devil. They originally wanted to prevent total meltdown of their party for a generation: done. Unfortunately, they had to create an unprecedentedly-cretinous movement in order to make it so. Said Frankenstein's monster grew and grew, until now they are in serious jeopardy of it infiltrating the very top echelons of their party. Trump is literally the id of what they created to leverage themselves back into power.

The GOP staved off a generation of total meltdown - this much is clear. Had they not created the Tea Party and the 2010 "surge", then they would have been facing a half-century of political irrelevance due to the pain of redistricting. With that now no longer an option and with them in absolute control of everything but the Presidency, the long-term strategists and thinkers within the party need to come to a pretty fundamental realization: they have to saw off their feet over the next few years in order to unchain themselves from the crazies. This means continue losing the Presidency.

A Trump nomination would likely result in defeat and a massive down-ballot effect that does serious damage to the party, Akin-style. Even if Trump won the Presidency, such will result in a total defiance by him of party officials and a complete transformation of the party into something that the business community and traditionalists mostly can't stomach. This means that the only option is to nuke Trump. Who cares if he runs as an independent, when winning with him means obliteration in one sense or another anyway? The party can:

• Nominate him and lose (while potentially losing tons of down-ballot races as well)
  • Nominate him and win (but lose control)
  • Not nominate him and lose (but maintain stability; proceed as part of a greater effort and nuke the monster they've created)

All of those result in the mainstream GOP not owning the Presidency in 2017. I think the choice is pretty clear.
EliteLX
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.64, S: 0.85

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 01:47:36 PM »
« Edited: November 23, 2015, 01:49:49 PM by EliteLX »

You took the bait

And I'm extremely happy to take the bait, why exactly wouldn't I take the bait??

Because you are feeding the satirical troll and we're all patiently waiting for the $hitposters to quit posting, please don't start it back up again.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 01:54:28 PM »

You took the bait

Because you are feeding the satirical troll and we're all patiently waiting for the $hitposters to quit posting, please don't start it back up again.

Someone who joined in June of 2015 and has contributed little but length diatribes with bold highlighting has no room to call anyone else a $hitposter.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2015, 02:09:48 PM »

The GOP is now facing the final manifestation of its deal with the Devil. They originally wanted to prevent total meltdown of their party for a generation: done. Unfortunately, they had to create an unprecedentedly-cretinous movement in order to make it so. Said Frankenstein's monster grew and grew, until now they are in serious jeopardy of it infiltrating the very top echelons of their party. Trump is literally the id of what they created to leverage themselves back into power.

The GOP staved off a generation of total meltdown - this much is clear. Had they not created the Tea Party and the 2010 "surge", then they would have been facing a half-century of political irrelevance due to the pain of redistricting. With that now no longer an option and with them in absolute control of everything but the Presidency, the long-term strategists and thinkers within the party need to come to a pretty fundamental realization: they have to saw off their feet over the next few years in order to unchain themselves from the crazies. This means continue losing the Presidency.

A Trump nomination would likely result in defeat and a massive down-ballot effect that does serious damage to the party, Akin-style. Even if Trump won the Presidency, such will result in a total defiance by him of party officials and a complete transformation of the party into something that the business community and traditionalists mostly can't stomach. This means that the only option is to nuke Trump. Who cares if he runs as an independent, when winning with him means obliteration in one sense or another anyway? The party can:

• Nominate him and lose (while potentially losing tons of down-ballot races as well)
  • Nominate him and win (but lose control)
  • Not nominate him and lose (but maintain stability; proceed as part of a greater effort and nuke the monster they've created)

All of those result in the mainstream GOP not owning the Presidency in 2017. I think the choice is pretty clear.

Eh, I think Cruz better represents the GOP's id. Trump's too moderate to be that. He'd never go full goldbug, burn-down-the-government like Cruz would.
EliteLX
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.64, S: 0.85

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 03:48:46 PM »
« Edited: November 23, 2015, 03:55:32 PM by EliteLX »

You took the bait

Someone who joined in June of 2015 and has contributed little but length diatribes with bold highlighting has no room to call anyone else a $hitposter.

A join date to an online discussion forum has absolutely zero significance to that user's discussion.

I'm always happy to contribute to discussion, toss an opinion in the ring, and debate. Something I'd imagine to happen on a political forum. I haven't seen a post of yours in the path month that isn't calling Rubio a sweaty baby, sucking your buddy leif off on the "oh make america great again!!!! hahah trump is our lord! lololol idiot!!" copycat wagon, empty insults or bashing a GOP candidate.

But, ehm, thanks anyways.
yankeesfan
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2015, 03:53:00 PM »

Krugman is wrong about everything, so this article makes me happy.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2015, 04:02:47 PM »

With the exception of course of everything pertaining to the economic crisis.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2015, 04:04:52 PM »

Trump haters:  You still don't get it!!!!

Donald Trump is not fueled by racism.  It's about the fact that normal, hard-workin', burger eatin', football watchin' Americans are tired of two things, political correctness and bullsh**t.  

As for Donald Trump, you can call him stupid and unsuccessful.  But, if you and I are so smart, why don't we own glittering golden towers all over the world?  At some point, you can say, Donald Trump has horrible taste and he's just a good self-promoter.  Yes, true.  But, it gets results.  You can't argue with success.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2015, 04:07:38 PM »

Krugman is wrong about everything, so this article makes me happy.

He's really just citing Alan Abramowitz whose forecast has correctly predicted every election since 1992.

Hey Eric, what have you done with your life? What have you accomplished? How dare you impugn Trump's intellect, he has achieved more than you could ever imagine. Its absolutely pathetic.

You took the bait

And the Swedes say the Swiss have no sense of humor.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2015, 04:14:33 PM »

Now that Krugman projects it, we know it won't happen. Trump needs to renounce his affiliation with this low-energy loser quick.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2015, 04:16:43 PM »

I wonder what all of Trump's supporters on this forum will do when he eventually loses
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2015, 06:14:16 PM »

Paul Krugman is an insufferable hack, shocking.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2015, 06:53:34 PM »

I wonder what all of Trump's supporters on this forum will do when he eventually loses

It'll be disappointing to see the GOP establishment again nominate someone who will no doubt continue to spew the same garbage that the last 5 nominees have spewed, but as a somewhat genuine Trump supporter in the primary, I have no problem calmly and confidently voting for Hillary Clinton for the next President of the United States.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2015, 08:49:00 PM »

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies