Kasich goes full Godwin on Trump
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:31:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Kasich goes full Godwin on Trump
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Kasich goes full Godwin on Trump  (Read 5119 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 24, 2015, 08:12:26 PM »

Ad's from Kasich campaign, not even a Super PAC.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 08:13:15 PM »
« Edited: November 24, 2015, 08:16:24 PM by Lief 🐋 »

Pathetic. Maybe if Kasich put as much of his (admittedly very low) energy into his campaign as he does obsessing over TRUMP, he wouldn't be at 2% in the polls and dropping.
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 08:17:01 PM »

A trite use of the Niemöller quote, but accurate nonetheless. Fortunately, this will not help Kasich's campaign at all.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 08:27:03 PM »

A pathetic and desperate ad by a pathetic and desperate man.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 08:30:57 PM »

again this is not an actual TV commercial, just a web video.  I think the main target of this is the establishment elites. Kasich is trying to send the message that he is the one who is willing to take on Trump directly, and therefore they should get behind him. Not sure it will work but what does he have to lose at this point.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 08:38:23 PM »

I like how he disabled the like/dislike buttons and the comments in a video about how Donald Trump disrespects the press.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 08:40:37 PM »

Literally the best anti-Trump commercial yet. To fight fire with fire is idiocy; to fight fire with its diametrical opposite is insanity; to fight fire, one must use water.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 08:50:05 PM »

Literally the best anti-Trump commercial yet. To fight fire with fire is idiocy; to fight fire with its diametrical opposite is insanity; to fight fire, one must use water.

I think you're even more of a delusional fanboy than dudeabides and DeadPrez.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 09:06:19 PM »

I like how he disabled the like/dislike buttons and the comments in a video about how Donald Trump disrespects the press.

A lot of candidates, maybe all, have been doing that for their YouTube videos. Even Rand Paul.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 09:07:27 PM »

I think this is the worst out of the campaign season yet
Labuan Bajo
Rookie
Indonesia

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 09:10:33 PM »

This analogy does not entirely work.

Kasich has fanboys? The guy has the charisma of a cardboard cut-out with a recorder tapped to it.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 09:17:23 PM »

Atlas has completed shifted on Kasich, we've gone from fanboying him to hating on him.

I think the ad is being treated unfairly, it's not the best ad and I doubt it'll convince any Trump supporters, but it accomplishes what a standard attack is supposed to do which is to make the viewer second guess the candidate.

This analogy does not entirely work.

Kasich has fanboys? The guy has the charisma of a cardboard cut-out with a recorder tapped to it.

1. Agreed. In this insane disaster of a primary season, the buckets labeled as water contain kerosene.

2. Nah, it was an implication that anyone who had a positive opinion of Kasich is a "fanboy" because Atlas has turned hard against him.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 09:22:18 PM »

Great Ad, it shows how much of a facist  Trump is acting like.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2015, 09:29:26 PM »

None of you got it.

Kasich isn't actually trying to hurt Trump with this. He's playing for the minority (but significant minority) of Republicans who already view Trump negatively. This is the same strategy he used in the debate when he aggressively challenged Trump on deportations and other issues. With Bush, Christie and Rubio failing to stand up to Trump, Kasich is trying to become the voice of anti-Trump sanity and emerge from New Hampshire as the strongest candidate who is palatable to the establishment.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2015, 09:36:34 PM »

Another objective of the ad is to get free earned media....
http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/first-they-came-kasich-goes-after-trump-tough-video-n469251

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2015/11/24/the-ad-in-which-john-kasichs-campaign-seems-to-compare-donald-trump-to-hitler/

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/campaign-ads/261251-kasich-ad-hits-trumps-dangerous-rhetoric

http://nypost.com/2015/11/24/kasich-goes-for-the-jugular-in-latest-trump-attack-ads/

...and again a web video costs essentially nothing.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2015, 09:39:55 PM »

None of you got it.

Kasich isn't actually trying to hurt Trump with this. He's playing for the minority (but significant minority) of Republicans who already view Trump negatively. This is the same strategy he used in the debate when he aggressively challenged Trump on deportations and other issues. With Bush, Christie and Rubio failing to stand up to Trump, Kasich is trying to become the voice of anti-Trump sanity and emerge from New Hampshire as the strongest candidate who is palatable to the establishment.

For me it does the opposite. It makes me hate Trump more, but it doesn't give me any reason to support Kasich over the 15 other non-Trump candidates. Kasich isn't even mentioned until the very end where it says "Paid for by Kasich for America."
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2015, 09:44:41 PM »

It's a good ad in showing how Trump's campaign is truly the heir to Wallace 1968
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2015, 09:47:59 PM »

None of you got it.

For me it does the opposite. It makes me hate Trump more, but it doesn't give me any reason to support Kasich over the 15 other non-Trump candidates. Kasich isn't even mentioned until the very end where it says "Paid for by Kasich for America."

This. I would be tempted to repost it as an indictment of Donald Trump without any fear of being labeled a Kasich supporter.
I support Sanders
Bernie2016

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2015, 09:49:14 PM »

Awesome. This lets the GOP establishment know Kasich is the anti-Trump candidate, and this will take him to the convention.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2015, 09:55:10 PM »

It's a good ad in showing how Trump's campaign is truly the heir to Wallace 1968
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2015, 09:56:20 PM »

Or Hitler's election in 1933.....
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2015, 11:24:23 PM »

Like the ad, and love that someone is standing up to the demagogue.  I'm ready to fight back, and glad at least one of the candidates is taking the fight to Trump.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2015, 11:27:57 PM »

Governor John Kasich behaves like a Democrat.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2015, 11:29:58 PM »

Trump's supporters like him because he's saying these things, not despite them. The Niemöller paraphrase sounds ridiculously melodramatic to people who don't support Trump.

Frankly, there's a big chunk of this country that has wanted to go after Muslims, illegal immigrants, and the press for a long time. Confirming that Trump has it out for those groups just makes Trump more attractive as a candidate to those people, not less attractive.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2015, 11:48:07 PM »

Trump's supporters like him because he's saying these things, not despite them. The Niemöller paraphrase sounds ridiculously melodramatic to people who don't support Trump.

Frankly, there's a big chunk of this country that has wanted to go after Muslims, illegal immigrants, and the press for a long time. Confirming that Trump has it out for those groups just makes Trump more attractive as a candidate to those people, not less attractive.
You're right that you can't fix stupid with his supporters but his numbers can be contained with ads like this
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies