Is it safe to say Cruz's cabinet will look similar to Bush's?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 10:04:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is it safe to say Cruz's cabinet will look similar to Bush's?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is it safe to say Cruz's cabinet will look similar to Bush's?  (Read 433 times)
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 24, 2015, 11:12:45 PM »

I mean it is pretty clear he is a classic politician and an opportunist. He does not really strike me as a true tea party purist or one really sympathetic to libertarian views. All of the advisers he has spoken too are neo-cons or affiliated with the Bush team. Am I wrong?
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 11:15:25 PM »

Yes; probably even worse.
daveosupremo
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.32, S: -2.09

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 11:16:04 PM »

I mean it is pretty clear he is a classic politician and an opportunist. He does not really strike me as a true tea party purist or one really sympathetic to libertarian views. All of the advisers he has spoken too are neo-cons or affiliated with the Bush team. Am I wrong?

Yes, I think you're wrong.  He's got completely different visions for education, homeland security, and tax policy.  As far as state, defense and hhs go, they'd likely be pretty similar.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 11:40:51 PM »

I don't think so. Cruz will bring far more conservative people to Washington, while Bush will bring more moderates, establishment favorites, and possibly even one or two Democrats.
daveosupremo
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.32, S: -2.09

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 12:33:39 AM »

Yes, I think you're wrong.  He's got completely different visions for education, homeland security, and tax policy.  As far as state, defense and hhs go, they'd likely be pretty similar.
Well at the end of the day, he is not really that much different from the conventional republicans when it comes to homeland security. I'll concede education. Tax policy? That doesn't really have much to do with the cabinet.
Cruz would certainly have DHS play a larger role in border security than they currently do, and has indicated support for eliminating the TSA.  If that's indicative of his philosophy of the governments role in homeland security, he'll probably have DHS downsized overall, or at least dramatically shift their priorities.  Bush would not make these changes.  He's a big hearted big government guy, at least compared to Cruz. I suppose I should have said fiscal policy, rather than tax policy, though the Secretary of the Treasury does have some influence over tax policy.  Cruz wants to tie the dollar to commodities and institute a flat tax, so he'd probably pick someone who agrees with those policies.  Bush would not. 

This is a really good question though.  I'm always curious who people would have put in their cabinets.  It'd be an interesting comparison.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 03:12:37 AM »

There are some pretty huge differences, mainly that Jeb! would mostly look to veterans of the previous Bush Administrations while Cruz at most would seek out those who served at relatively low levels in the W. Bush Administration like he did and more likely would find newcomers entirely from other spheres. Ted Cruz is a huge resume snob...I wouldn't be surprised to see some contrarian right wing academics or successful businessmen take their places in the Cruz Administration.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 03:53:29 AM »

Yes and No.
Here is my opinion on what a Cruz cabinet would look like :

Cruz - Prez
Trump - VP
Carson - Surgeon General (medical specialty using hammers and knives to cure)
Christine O'Donnell - Dept of Witchcraft and Wizardry (new Dept)
Todd Akin - Dept of Drugs, Crime and "Rapists" (with all those awful illegals, we need more control)
Sarah Palin - Dept of Russian Affairs (best candidate, with her ability to see all of Russia from her house)
Kim Davis - Dept of Official Licensing and Permits
Michele Bachmann - Dept of ... (not sure)

What do Cruz and all these people have in common, they are all "wackos, weirdos and/or witches."
Well, I think that covers it (actually I started to run out of candidates/ideas).
But I may have missed a few Departments, so please feel free to add to this list.
IrisBloom
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 06:08:18 AM »

To my mind, presidency of Ted Cruz will have some 'shades of Bushes'. Ted Cruz has close ties with oil producing companies and banks whose interests he has been lobbing. Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, Citigroup...they have always sponsored Republicans (and not only Republicans). It’s well known than Ted Cruz was completed orders from Goldman Sachs and still keeps in touch with its vice-president.   
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 02:23:21 PM »

No. It would consist of lesser people. Pure matter of personality: Cruz is disliked by most people who have to deal with him.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 02:26:57 PM »

Cruz strikes me as a micromanager. I doubt he would appoint as many strong figures as Bush did.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 05:10:59 PM »

Cruz strikes me as a micromanager. I doubt he would appoint as many strong figures as Bush did.
I'm very much in agreement with this. It is worth remembering that Cheney was the person who staffed the Bush administration, so I don't think you will be seeing any old faces from the Bush administration outside of a few low level Department administrators and yes-men.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies