large majorities of americans support trans rights
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:32:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  large majorities of americans support trans rights
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: large majorities of americans support trans rights  (Read 2191 times)
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 25, 2015, 02:35:48 PM »
« edited: November 25, 2015, 03:02:56 PM by 🌲🌃🐎♀ »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

seems too good to be true tbh
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 02:56:28 PM »

I don't think its too surprising-even when there were solid majorities against gay marriage most people supported protections against them being discriminated in the workplace.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 03:18:14 PM »

Eh, I'm not surprised. Americans are moving to the liberal side at record speed on most social issues. Even young Republicans generally don't care about these issues.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 05:08:13 PM »

So much for this being the next big social issue of our time
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 05:38:04 PM »

Americans have a long and noble tradition of opposing discrimination against particular groups of minorities...and then directly advocating for specific policies that discriminate against them and against those that would prevent it.

For instance, the whole "gay people shouldn't be discriminated against" thing but then also agreeing that gay couples should have to pay higher tax rates and then also have no recourse for the seamless transfer of property.

Was there anything in the poll asking whether or not trans people should be able to alter their government documents to reflect their identity? I could see that being one of those where a majority disapprove. On the other hand, the concept of trans on a global level in many places (and among a shockingly large % of Americans) has had more acceptance with regards to it not being a choice or being a natural concept.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 05:45:56 PM »

This is good
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 06:24:09 PM »

I have my doubts about the numbers in relation to the military (seems like a more touchy subject, IMO), but the other numbers make sense. Of course, Adam is correct in noting that many people will declare "I love gay people, but" and follow with a bizarre defense of marriage inequality or whatever particular LBGT issue is at hand.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 07:33:01 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

seems too good to be true tbh
I can easily see there being more support for trans than for emojis.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 08:21:54 PM »

It is one thing to say support equal rights for said minority group in a public opinion poll, and another to vote in favor of an   measure/referendum on banning discrimination against a certain minority group. While I am not doubting that a majority are against discrimination in this case. I feel  that Social desirability bias  may play at a least a small role in these numbers. Over the last few decades  we have generally as a society promoted equal rights for minority groups as well as viewed discrimination as wrong. This may lead to a situation where those that are against equal rights may not feel comfortable admitting it to a pollster.    While we have come along way in getting rid have discrimination from the workplace/schools/armed forces, we may still have a bigger issue then we might think.

Here is an  article  on the topic I found

https://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/research/publications/working-papers/iser/2013-04.pdf

DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 08:45:54 PM »

Griff takes the idea too far, but he's on the right track. The average person does not have a coherent ideology, or political platform. If you ask them about "trans rights" large swathes of people will be all for it. (Who could be against rights?!?!). But if you ask about specific issues, many will react differently.

You could repeat the same exercise with property rights, or religious liberty, or whatever and get similar results.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 08:58:03 PM »

Eh. It may be a sign of what's to come. Some people are not so fond of transgender people getting rights. It seems weird to them.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2015, 10:50:28 PM »

Good. one less thing for teams red and blue to demagogue.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 10:55:26 PM »

Good. one less thing for teams red and blue to demagogue.

Correct. This one poll and it's vague platitude of a question solves the whole debate.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2015, 11:25:23 AM »

The Houston debacle suggests trans groups can't rest on their laurels.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2015, 10:09:52 PM »
« Edited: November 26, 2015, 10:11:46 PM by Simfan34 »

Extremely bizzare and highly irregular.

So much for this being the next big social issue of our time

There will be a major fight over this. A huge backlash. Just you wait and see. Wait and see!
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2015, 10:32:26 PM »

They've hitched on to the gay rights movement, almost under radar to grab tolerance and force acceptance without any real national debate, and I think people are starting to realise this and they won't appreciate it. It has been jammed without their throats without their knowing it and there's going to be a backlash because or that.

I've seen the opinions of many educated black Democrats tonight and this sample suggests that people are confused about this and are a little angry about it.

I'm sorry to say this-- I know a lot of people won't find this pleasant-- but I think this may prove to be this century's analogue to eugenics. People may look back at it as a "progressive" current that is very hard to understand.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2015, 10:47:03 PM »

I'm sorry to say this-- I know a lot of people won't find this pleasant-- but I think this may prove to be this century's analogue to eugenics.

That's an extremely generous use of the word 'may'.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2015, 10:51:32 PM »

On a personal level, I'm not against it per se. I just struggle to understand it.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2015, 10:54:08 PM »

Fair enough, but I struggle to understand astrophysics  and you don't see me stating it as a reason to defund NASA
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2015, 11:00:01 PM »

Fair enough, but I struggle to understand astrophysics  and you don't see me stating it as a reason to defund NASA

Yes, but you understand why funding NASA is a good idea. That can be understood. You don't just see them astronauts demanding funding because they "identify as astronauts" and that simply cannot be challenged. They make their case and we gain an appreciation for what they are.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2015, 03:33:31 AM »

They say they support transgender rights, then the bathroom issue comes up and everyone loses their minds.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2015, 04:17:38 AM »
« Edited: November 27, 2015, 02:31:30 PM by SteveMcQueen »

-- rescinded, y'all win, but I will leave the last part of this post, a.k.a. the prophecy --

I'll probably get burned at the stake for writing this because you seriously can't disagree with the LGBT movement or even criticize it at all these days without being labeled a full-on bigot.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2015, 08:45:17 AM »

Fair enough, but I struggle to understand astrophysics  and you don't see me stating it as a reason to defund NASA

Yes, but you understand why funding NASA is a good idea. That can be understood. You don't just see them astronauts demanding funding because they "identify as astronauts" and that simply cannot be challenged. They make their case and we gain an appreciation for what they are.

True, but such is real life. Complicated matters of biology are hard to understand. Is it worth martyring yourself over such an issue like our friend Mr McQueen?

The T movement is younger and less well established than the LGB part, and much if our gains have come off the back of LGB.movements. that's true, but it doesn't deserve some kind of ridiculous hyperbole like comparing the trans acceptance movement to eugenics (of all things).

Not responding to McQueen's word vomit, because it really is self-evident nonsense.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2015, 11:02:11 AM »
« Edited: November 27, 2015, 11:04:38 AM by PR »

I'm sorry to say this-- I know a lot of people won't find this pleasant-- but I think this may prove to be this century's analogue to eugenics.

That's an extremely generous use of the word 'may'.

Ironically (for the purposes of this discussion, at least), the actual eugenics movement was based on "perfecting" the human race - which for their purposes, meant sterilizing or even euthanizing the (mentally, physically, or socially *) "feeble" or "unfit." I somehow seriously doubt that trans individuals would have been remotely acceptable to proponents of eugenics.

*the poor and other lower-status groups (Jews, immigrant Catholics, black people) received similarly hostile treatment by the eugenicists.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2015, 12:10:16 PM »

I'm sorry to say this-- I know a lot of people won't find this pleasant-- but I think this may prove to be this century's analogue to eugenics. People may look back at it as a "progressive" current that is very hard to understand.

It may end up looking like a progressive current that is hard to understand but that's about where the similarity ends with eugenics, unless our society jumps the shark even further and begins forced gender reassignments or something of that sort. In my view the trans movement seems to be more of an exercise in existentialism. I don't see it developing into a big ticket political issue though, as "acceptance" by and large isn't a government policy.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies