large majorities of americans support trans rights
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:53:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  large majorities of americans support trans rights
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: large majorities of americans support trans rights  (Read 2187 times)
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2015, 04:05:40 PM »

This doesn't seem all that notable. Even a lot of TERFs and transphobic people would be considered "pro trans rights" according to this survey.

The thing is, trans people aren't actually denied that many right. The trans movement isn't really about legislation, it's more about changing cultural attitudes.

Probably the biggest exception to that, where trans people actually would need the government to get behind them, is Medicaid/Medicare covering sex change operations, forcing insurance companies to cover them, making sure Hobby Lobby etc. pay for that insurance.

This survey didn't even bother asking that, and that's probably the biggest issue, at least from a governmental standpoint, for trans people.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2015, 06:11:48 PM »

In the way mentioned it isnt surprising. I mean how could you really oppose those kind of peotections if you suppoet them for homosexuals?

Far different than requiring female children to share showers with biological male children.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2015, 06:47:19 PM »

Good grief. Why are you people obsessed with children in showers?. Creep.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2015, 09:24:04 PM »

I'm sorry to say this-- I know a lot of people won't find this pleasant-- but I think this may prove to be this century's analogue to eugenics. People may look back at it as a "progressive" current that is very hard to understand.

It may end up looking like a progressive current that is hard to understand but that's about where the similarity ends with eugenics, unless our society jumps the shark even further and begins forced gender reassignments or something of that sort. In my view the trans movement seems to be more of an exercise in existentialism. I don't see it developing into a big ticket political issue though, as "acceptance" by and large isn't a government policy.

Well yes. That was the crux of the similarity.
Hydera

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2015, 09:42:47 PM »
« Edited: November 27, 2015, 09:45:31 PM by ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) »

In the way mentioned it isnt surprising. I mean how could you really oppose those kind of peotections if you suppoet them for homosexuals?

Far different than requiring female children to share showers with biological male children.

And how much are you willing to accept laws that make businesses have Unisex bathrooms? And Physical exercise(Swimming pools, gyms, etc etc etc places to have unisex showers?

I'm going to leave out the question of passing, but if you think that forcing trans people to go to facilities of their birth gender if they look nothing like it anymore you might want to show me whats your stance on it that isnt anything but being a dick.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2015, 01:50:52 AM »

And how much are you willing to accept laws that make businesses have Unisex bathrooms? And Physical exercise(Swimming pools, gyms, etc etc etc places to have unisex showers?

I'm going to leave out the question of passing, but if you think that forcing trans people to go to facilities of their birth gender if they look nothing like it anymore you might want to show me whats your stance on it that isnt anything but being a dick.

I suspect the concerns most people who have concerns about transgender individuals are not about those who have undertaken a full physical transition, but about those who have not done so.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies