Marco Rubio: 'Ignore' Gay Marriage Decision Because 'God's Rules Always Win'
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:01:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Marco Rubio: 'Ignore' Gay Marriage Decision Because 'God's Rules Always Win'
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Marco Rubio: 'Ignore' Gay Marriage Decision Because 'God's Rules Always Win'  (Read 2812 times)
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2015, 01:06:10 PM »

God's rules always win? I didn't realize that America was a theocracy. I would expect to hear something like this from Carson, Huckabee, or Santorum, but Rubio? I never really had much of a bone to pick with the guy, but the more I hear about him, the less appealing he is.
wolfsblood07
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2015, 01:43:56 PM »

God's rules always win? I didn't realize that America was a theocracy. I would expect to hear something like this from Carson, Huckabee, or Santorum, but Rubio? I never really had much of a bone to pick with the guy, but the more I hear about him, the less appealing he is.
To frame it in secular terms, you can't go against nature.  Nature says that married couples need to be opposite sex.  No law can overcome the biological truth!  In time, we'll go back to it out of necessity.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2015, 02:12:46 PM »

To frame it in secular terms, you can't go against nature.  Nature says that married couples need to be opposite sex.  No law can overcome the biological truth!  In time, we'll go back to it out of necessity.

Nature and marriage have nothing to do with each other. Marriage is purely a human construct, and there is no law stating that married couples must be able to produce offspring. Also, why is homosexuality found in other animals as well, if it is "unnatural"?
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2015, 02:40:21 PM »

To frame it in secular terms, you can't go against natureNature says that married couples need to be opposite sex.  No law can overcome the biological truth!  In time, we'll go back to it out of necessity.

I hope you are trolling
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2015, 02:57:38 PM »

You couldn't have a bone to pick with Rubio as he has no (back) bone. At least not when it comes to saying 'no' to his donors.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2015, 03:06:36 PM »
« Edited: November 28, 2015, 03:10:17 PM by Adam T »

God's laws, from the bible... So I assume slavery, polygamy, marital rape, all of Leviticus are back? Right?

Hmm - makes it a bit tricky since the whole SSM issue isn't referred to.... Hmmm

See the Council of Jerusalem for discussion on provisions of the Levitical Law.

Other than what Paul said about gays (and Paul was just a man, however great he may have ended up) virtually all of the comments in the Bible that are anti homosexual (and just anti homosexual men) come from either Leviticus or Deuteronomy and that hasn't stopped the anti gay hate lobby from proclaiming that "God's Laws" need to be followed.   Of course, the vast majority of Bible thumpers have read the Bible from start to finish as little as the people who haven't read the Bible at all, so most Bible Thumpers are also completely unaware of the context of these Biblical Laws.

I understand that Jesus may have also made one anti gay comment (of course, what Jesus said wasn't formally written down until at least 40 years and as much as 100 years after he lived)  but Jesus also said "love thy neighbor as thyself"  and also made at least one other comment that can be seen as being in favor of gay rights.

Being Jewish I haven't read the New Testament in its entirety and, at most, have read and heard a few passages.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2015, 03:22:27 PM »

Nature and marriage have nothing to do with each other. Marriage is purely a human construct, and there is no law stating that married couples must be able to produce offspring. Also, why is homosexuality found in other animals as well, if it is "unnatural"?

Usually when you point this out they say "Just because it's natural doesn't mean it's moral!!!" despite the fact that their entire argument that it's immoral is based on the idea that it's unnatural.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2015, 11:57:55 PM »

...Jesus also said "love thy neighbor as thyself"  and also made at least one other comment that can be seen as being in favor of gay rights.

I'm always a bit curious how "gay rights" and "marriage" have managed to be framed as one in the same. I'm of the opinion that gays should have access to the exact same legal standing as other protected groups, but I'm also of the opinion that the re-definition of the word "marriage" is not needed in order to do this. Of course, this is at odds with what gay people want, so naturally I'm painted as "anti-gay". Apparently, if you don't see the world as gay people say it should be, you are anti-gay, and if you don't see the world as the religious right say it should be, you are anti-God, so I suppose I have to be happy in my anti-gay/anti-God world...
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2015, 12:12:55 AM »

This is nothing more than a way for him to publicly say he doesn't care about the issue anymore without pissing off conservative evangelicals.

This. It's basically the closest to a surrender we're going to get out of a GOP candidate.

Nope. Trump said Kim Davis was wrong. Rubio didn't.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2015, 12:25:12 AM »

...Jesus also said "love thy neighbor as thyself"  and also made at least one other comment that can be seen as being in favor of gay rights.

I'm always a bit curious how "gay rights" and "marriage" have managed to be framed as one in the same. I'm of the opinion that gays should have access to the exact same legal standing as other protected groups, but I'm also of the opinion that the re-definition of the word "marriage" is not needed in order to do this. Of course, this is at odds with what gay people want, so naturally I'm painted as "anti-gay". Apparently, if you don't see the world as gay people say it should be, you are anti-gay, and if you don't see the world as the religious right say it should be, you are anti-God, so I suppose I have to be happy in my anti-gay/anti-God world...

So, you're strongly in favor of stoning non-virginal brides to death, incest, kidnapping and rape, polygamy, women as chattel, and legally banning divorce? Or is there some special reason why those re-definitions of marriage  were okay, but same-sex marriage is verboten?

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2015, 12:30:17 AM »

#NotReadyForPrimeTime
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2015, 12:32:13 AM »

How exactly can any Republican win the general election if they alienate every group except angry conservative Christian white heterosexual males with guns?
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2015, 01:04:19 AM »

This is nothing more than a way for him to publicly say he doesn't care about the issue anymore without pissing off conservative evangelicals.

This. It's basically the closest to a surrender we're going to get out of a GOP candidate.

Nope. Trump said Kim Davis was wrong. Rubio didn't.

Kasich did as well.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2015, 10:16:22 AM »

So, you're strongly in favor of stoning non-virginal brides to death, incest, kidnapping and rape, polygamy, women as chattel, and legally banning divorce? Or is there some special reason why those re-definitions of marriage  were okay, but same-sex marriage is verboten?

Sorry, but the definition of something is different from the laws and customs which surround that thing. I don't believe marriage has ever been defined as the taking of women as chattel, or the kidnapping and rape of women, or the countless other things you choose to point to as evidence that the word "marriage" is completely subjective. Marriage as traditionally defined has a procreation aspect to it; you seem to be arguing that that has to change, while I am arguing that it doesn't (at least not to ensure the commonality of legal rights ensured for both straight and gay people).
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2015, 10:45:46 AM »

So, you're strongly in favor of stoning non-virginal brides to death, incest, kidnapping and rape, polygamy, women as chattel, and legally banning divorce? Or is there some special reason why those re-definitions of marriage  were okay, but same-sex marriage is verboten?

Sorry, but the definition of something is different from the laws and customs which surround that thing. I don't believe marriage has ever been defined as the taking of women as chattel, or the kidnapping and rape of women, or the countless other things you choose to point to as evidence that the word "marriage" is completely subjective. Marriage as traditionally defined has a procreation aspect to it; you seem to be arguing that that has to change, while I am arguing that it doesn't (at least not to ensure the commonality of legal rights ensured for both straight and gay people).

Commentaries on the Laws of England (1765-1769)
Sir William Blackstone
http://lonang.com/library/reference/blackstone-commentaries-law-england/bla-115/
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2015, 11:50:55 AM »

Commentaries on the Laws of England (1765-1769)
Sir William Blackstone
http://lonang.com/library/reference/blackstone-commentaries-law-england/bla-115/

Yup. And here's a news flash: many women still take on the family name of their husbands, and still wish to treat their husband as if he acts as the head of the household. So what's your point? Is it wrong for the man to be responsible for the well-being of his family? Is it ill-advised for a woman to submit to the authority of her husband as head of the household, or for a man to take on the responsibilities of being the head of the household? Perhaps part of the problem is that we're too willing to throw out the baby with the bath water...
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2015, 01:06:52 PM »

I simply don't understand any of it.

If two people who genuinely love one another want to get married, why is it anybody's g-damn business?  Really.

The Republicans have just GOT TO STOP with "the gays this" and "the gays that".  Who cares anymore?

There are just so many other important issues that we could be talking about.

And the Republican Party's fusion with religious fundamentalists will hurt them eventually.  I can't tell you how many young people are becoming turned off from voting Republican because it is so connected in their minds with pushing a religious agenda on other people.  It's not even just telling people how to live their lives - what the religious right wants is a theocratic government.

I guess it just depends on the mindset. I'm 27 and when I heard of gay marriage for the first time, I was like, "Are you fuc*ing kidding me?"

I keep trying to evolve, but if you asked me, gun-to-my-head, honestly it really bothers me. In fact, I find myself MUCH more socially conservative than many other fellow young Republicans my age.

It just scares me. What's next? Incest marriage? How long until we have pregnant women who decide they wanted a baby girl and ask to have a "penile abortion" to turn their baby boy into a girl because "they want to". When does it cross a line of morality? FYI I am not a church going guy either, but it really bothers me.

It's gotta stop. White girls saying they're black for God's sake, men who claim to be women wanting to use girl's bathrooms...I don't care about their "feelings". They look fuc**ng nuts. To me Bruce Jenner is Bruce Jenner and he say's he's a woman. I respect his right to sound crazy, but it's not normal or natural. And liberals wanna call him woman of the year? That would be like me putting on a dress and black face and winning an award for being "brave black woman of the year". How ridiculous is it? It's gotta stop. It's gotta stop.

1-800-CHARTER. If you don't get help at Charter, please get help somewhere.
wolfsblood07
United States

« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2015, 01:34:54 PM »

I guess it just depends on the mindset. I'm 27 and when I heard of gay marriage for the first time, I was like, "Are you fuc*ing kidding me?"

I keep trying to evolve, but if you asked me, gun-to-my-head, honestly it really bothers me. In fact, I find myself MUCH more socially conservative than many other fellow young Republicans my age.

It just scares me. What's next? Incest marriage? How long until we have pregnant women who decide they wanted a baby girl and ask to have a "penile abortion" to turn their baby boy into a girl because "they want to". When does it cross a line of morality? FYI I am not a church going guy either, but it really bothers me.

It's gotta stop. White girls saying they're black for God's sake, men who claim to be women wanting to use girl's bathrooms...I don't care about their "feelings". They look fuc**ng nuts. To me Bruce Jenner is Bruce Jenner and he say's he's a woman. I respect his right to sound crazy, but it's not normal or natural. And liberals wanna call him woman of the year? That would be like me putting on a dress and black face and winning an award for being "brave black woman of the year". How ridiculous is it? It's gotta stop. It's gotta stop.
Best post in the thread!  So much common sense.
I will give Bruce Jenner some credit for making comments against gay marriage on the Rachel Maddow show that pissed her off.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2015, 03:29:39 PM »

If two people who genuinely love one another want to get married, why is it anybody's g-damn business?  Really.

The Republicans have just GOT TO STOP with "the gays this" and "the gays that".  Who cares anymore?

And the Republican Party's fusion with religious fundamentalists will hurt them eventually.  I can't tell you how many young people are becoming turned off from voting Republican because it is so connected in their minds with pushing a religious agenda on other people.  It's not even just telling people how to live their lives - what the religious right wants is a theocratic government.

Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2015, 04:31:35 PM »

Best post in the thread!  So much common sense.
I will give Bruce Jenner some credit for making comments against gay marriage on the Rachel Maddow show that pissed her off.

I don't get how one can rationally think that being Transgender is just some joke that people cook up for fun. Science points in the direction of gender existing on a continnum. Maybe a few just pretend, but I imagine most Transgender people are legitimate. With the bathroom issue, there are of course legitimate public safety concerns that we shouldn't ignore when making policy just to be PC, but otherwise, this whole Huckabee-inspired "Transgender is a joke" idea is rude, discriminatory, and needs to go away.

And I say this despite the fact that I am pro-life and anti-gay marriage.
DS0816
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2015, 10:16:10 AM »

Like I said in another thread … Marco Rubio is an incompetent dolt who will not be president of the United States.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2015, 10:43:41 AM »

Sad to see that some are still willfully ignorant, but at least they're in the minority. Point is, if some people want to have a "traditional" marriage, fine. No one's stopping them. Forcing everyone to adhere to archaic definitions and/or the religious beliefs of others, on the other hand, is reprehensible and unconstitutional.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2015, 11:38:08 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies