Marco Rubio: 'Ignore' Gay Marriage Decision Because 'God's Rules Always Win'
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:40:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Marco Rubio: 'Ignore' Gay Marriage Decision Because 'God's Rules Always Win'
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Marco Rubio: 'Ignore' Gay Marriage Decision Because 'God's Rules Always Win'  (Read 2804 times)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 25, 2015, 03:02:29 PM »

Just in case anyone was under the impression that Rubio was reasonable:

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/marco-rubio-ignore-gay-marriage-decision-because-gods-rules-always-wins

they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 03:05:16 PM »

This is nothing more than a way for him to publicly say he doesn't care about the issue anymore without pissing off conservative evangelicals.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 03:08:15 PM »

This is nothing more than a way for him to publicly say he doesn't care about the issue anymore without pissing off conservative evangelicals.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 03:09:55 PM »

Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 03:18:56 PM »

This. It's basically the closest to a surrender we're going to get out of a GOP candidate.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 03:22:50 PM »

No, he said he wants to overturn the Supreme Court decision legalizing gay marriage.  He would appoint a Supreme Court justice who would do that.  And, it's not just the gay marriage decision that falls if Marco Rubio gets a Supreme Court nominee.  If Marco Rubio gets a Supreme Court nominee, Lawrence v. Texas could go down as well.  That means gay sex could become illegal in states like Texas, Florida and Kansas.

This is not a trivia matter at all.  Progress has to be defended, it is in no way inevitable.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 03:31:33 PM »

The difference between those issues and abortion is unlike abortion they don't have much of a push against them anymore regardless of the Supreme Court's makeup, in order to overturn Obergefell vs. Hodges some state would have to pass a law banning gay marriage again, refuse to issue same-sex marriage licenses, and be willing to fight lawsuits all the way to the Supreme Court. While there are many activists who would love to do that, the Republican establishment are just happy the issue has gone away, and considering what the polls said about support for Kim Davis (and what numbers on gay marriage in general will obviously look like several years from now) they won't be encouraging any Republican legislatures, Governors or Attorneys General to do that.

Passing a law to recriminalize gay sex and actually enforcing the law to overturn a decision that even Mike Huckabee has spoken in support of is even a bigger stretch.

There are hordes of threats that could come from Republican Supreme Court nominations, but this isn't one that worries me.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 03:37:25 PM »
« Edited: November 25, 2015, 03:39:06 PM by bedstuy »

The difference between those issues and abortion is unlike abortion they don't have much of a push against them anymore regardless of the Supreme Court's makeup, in order to overturn Obergefell vs. Hodges some state would have to pass a law banning gay marriage again, refuse to issue same-sex marriage licenses, and be willing to fight lawsuits all the way to the Supreme Court. While there are many activists who would love to do that, the Republican establishment are just happy the issue has gone away, and considering what the polls said about support for Kim Davis (and what numbers on gay marriage in general will obviously look like several years from now) they won't be encouraging any Republican legislatures, Governors or Attorneys General to do that.

Passing a law to recriminalize gay sex and actually enforcing the law to overturn a decision that even Mike Huckabee has spoken in support of is even a bigger stretch.

There are hordes of threats that could come from Republican Supreme Court nominations, but this isn't one that worries me.

They wouldn't have to pass a law criminalizing gay sex.  Gay sex is illegal in 12 states by statute.  The day that Lawrence v. Texas gets overturned, gay sex will be illegal in Texas and 11 other states.

As for a law banning same-sex marriage, don't you think Mississippi would be willing to do that?  And, it's the same statutory issue so it would be unnecessary.  States need to interpret their laws to allow gay marriage under Obergefell.  If that gets oveturned, they can stop gay marriages and all recognition of same-sex marriages in their court system.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 03:43:09 PM »

This will really get the kids to vote for him!
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 03:43:18 PM »

They wouldn't have to pass a law criminalizing gay sex.  Gay sex is illegal in 12 states by statute.  The day that Lawrence v. Texas gets overturned, gay sex will be illegal in Texas and 11 other states.

As for a law banning same-sex marriage, don't you think Mississippi would be willing to do that?  And, it's the same statutory issue.  States need to interpret their laws to allow gay marriage under Obergefell.  If that gets oveturned, they can stop gay marriages and all recognition of same-sex marriages in their court system.

In order to overturn Lawrence v. Texas or Obergefell vs. Hodges though some state would need to have to actually directly challenge it and appeal it all the way up to bring a case. It can't just "be overturned". I don't see any state, even Mississippi, to start trying to enforce the now unenforceable sodomy law on the book and be willing to defend it that far just because it was pretty unenforceable to begin with.

Trying to stop issuing same-sex marriage licenses is more likely, but I think the reaction to Kim Davis was enough message for how well that'd go over.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 03:45:58 PM »

As for a law banning same-sex marriage, don't you think Mississippi would be willing to do that?  And, it's the same statutory issue.  States need to interpret their laws to allow gay marriage under Obergefell.  If that gets oveturned, they can stop gay marriages and all recognition of same-sex marriages in their court system.

In order to overturn Lawrence v. Texas or Obergefell vs. Hodges though some state would need to have to actually directly challenge it and appeal it all the way up to bring a case. It can't just "be overturned". I don't see any state, even Mississippi, to start trying to enforce the now unenforceable sodomy law on the book and be willing to defend it that far just because it was pretty unenforceable to begin with.

Trying to stop issuing same-sex marriage licenses is more likely, but I think the reaction to Kim Davis was enough message for how well that'd go over.

You just need someone like Kim Davis though, right?  If there were 4 conservatives who thought there was a 5 vote majority to overturn Obergefell, why wouldn't they take the case?  And, suppose the new Rubio court overturns that case.

And, is it so unlikely that some fundie sheriff in Texas would see that decision and try a test case to overturn Lawrence v. Texas?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2015, 03:54:38 PM »

No Marco, in America, lawyers are far more powerful than God. Deal with it. I chose to become a lawyer rather than a minister for a reason. Tongue
wolfsblood07
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 09:11:51 PM »

This is why we need to elect a Republican!  We need to bring back traditional wholesome values.  Young people instinctively oppose gay marriage, until they are indoctrinated by liberal pop culture and the education system that is controlled for the most part by the left.
Cruzcrew
Paleocon
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 09:17:30 PM »

The Supreme Court should've never gotten involved in this case in the first place.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2015, 10:14:11 PM »

No, he said he wants to overturn the Supreme Court decision legalizing gay marriage.  He would appoint a Supreme Court justice who would do that.  And, it's not just the gay marriage decision that falls if Marco Rubio gets a Supreme Court nominee.  If Marco Rubio gets a Supreme Court nominee, Lawrence v. Texas could go down as well.  That means gay sex could become illegal in states like Texas, Florida and Kansas.

This is not a trivia matter at all.  Progress has to be defended, it is in no way inevitable.

Perhaps Obama should publicly speculate that incinerating Marco Rubio with a hellfire missile is in accordance with God's Law?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2015, 10:15:51 PM »

Right, I'm not really shocked about this, but I posted it mostly as a reminder that even though he looks okay compared to his main primary opponents, he's still pretty terrible.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2015, 10:34:15 PM »

I simply don't understand any of it.

If two people who genuinely love one another want to get married, why is it anybody's g-damn business?  Really.

The Republicans have just GOT TO STOP with "the gays this" and "the gays that".  Who cares anymore?

There are just so many other important issues that we could be talking about.

And the Republican Party's fusion with religious fundamentalists will hurt them eventually.  I can't tell you how many young people are becoming turned off from voting Republican because it is so connected in their minds with pushing a religious agenda on other people.  It's not even just telling people how to live their lives - what the religious right wants is a theocratic government.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2015, 10:36:06 PM »

Far more disgusting than anything Trump has said or done in his life.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2015, 07:18:22 AM »
« Edited: November 28, 2015, 07:34:58 AM by Adam T »

Rubio goes full Taliban.

Where is that glass of water for Rubio when he needs it? 

Finally, better to remain silent than to be thought a fool, than to speak up and erase all doubt.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2015, 08:47:08 AM »
« Edited: November 28, 2015, 08:50:00 AM by Fmr President & Senator Polnut »

God's laws, from the bible... So I assume slavery, polygamy, marital rape, all of Leviticus are back? Right?

Hmm - makes it a bit tricky since the whole SSM issue isn't referred to.... Hmmm
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2015, 09:06:10 AM »
« Edited: November 28, 2015, 09:10:55 AM by Reaganfan »

If two people who genuinely love one another want to get married, why is it anybody's g-damn business?  Really.

The Republicans have just GOT TO STOP with "the gays this" and "the gays that".  Who cares anymore?

And the Republican Party's fusion with religious fundamentalists will hurt them eventually.  I can't tell you how many young people are becoming turned off from voting Republican because it is so connected in their minds with pushing a religious agenda on other people.  It's not even just telling people how to live their lives - what the religious right wants is a theocratic government.

I guess it just depends on the mindset. I'm 27 and when I heard of gay marriage for the first time, I was like, "Are you fuc*ing kidding me?"

I keep trying to evolve, but if you asked me, gun-to-my-head, honestly it really bothers me. In fact, I find myself MUCH more socially conservative than many other fellow young Republicans my age.

It just scares me. What's next? Incest marriage? How long until we have pregnant women who decide they wanted a baby girl and ask to have a "penile abortion" to turn their baby boy into a girl because "they want to". When does it cross a line of morality? FYI I am not a church going guy either, but it really bothers me.

It's gotta stop. White girls saying they're black for God's sake, men who claim to be women wanting to use girl's bathrooms...I don't care about their "feelings". They look fuc**ng nuts. To me Bruce Jenner is Bruce Jenner and he say's he's a woman. I respect his right to sound crazy, but it's not normal or natural. And liberals wanna call him woman of the year? That would be like me putting on a dress and black face and winning an award for being "brave black woman of the year". How ridiculous is it? It's gotta stop. It's gotta stop.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2015, 11:05:54 AM »

I guess it just depends on the mindset. I'm 27 and when I heard of gay marriage for the first time, I was like, "Are you fuc*ing kidding me?"

I keep trying to evolve, but if you asked me, gun-to-my-head, honestly it really bothers me. In fact, I find myself MUCH more socially conservative than many other fellow young Republicans my age.

It just scares me. What's next? Incest marriage? How long until we have pregnant women who decide they wanted a baby girl and ask to have a "penile abortion" to turn their baby boy into a girl because "they want to". When does it cross a line of morality? FYI I am not a church going guy either, but it really bothers me.

It's gotta stop. White girls saying they're black for God's sake, men who claim to be women wanting to use girl's bathrooms...I don't care about their "feelings". They look fuc**ng nuts. To me Bruce Jenner is Bruce Jenner and he say's he's a woman. I respect his right to sound crazy, but it's not normal or natural. And liberals wanna call him woman of the year? That would be like me putting on a dress and black face and winning an award for being "brave black woman of the year". How ridiculous is it? It's gotta stop. It's gotta stop.

Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2015, 11:06:51 AM »

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2015, 11:50:18 AM »

I thought GOP was the Party of the Constitution.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2015, 12:17:45 PM »

God's laws, from the bible... So I assume slavery, polygamy, marital rape, all of Leviticus are back? Right?

Hmm - makes it a bit tricky since the whole SSM issue isn't referred to.... Hmmm

See the Council of Jerusalem for discussion on provisions of the Levitical Law.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies