Marco Rubio: 'Ignore' Gay Marriage Decision Because 'God's Rules Always Win' (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:24:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Marco Rubio: 'Ignore' Gay Marriage Decision Because 'God's Rules Always Win' (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Marco Rubio: 'Ignore' Gay Marriage Decision Because 'God's Rules Always Win'  (Read 2839 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: November 25, 2015, 03:05:16 PM »

This is nothing more than a way for him to publicly say he doesn't care about the issue anymore without pissing off conservative evangelicals.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 03:31:33 PM »

The difference between those issues and abortion is unlike abortion they don't have much of a push against them anymore regardless of the Supreme Court's makeup, in order to overturn Obergefell vs. Hodges some state would have to pass a law banning gay marriage again, refuse to issue same-sex marriage licenses, and be willing to fight lawsuits all the way to the Supreme Court. While there are many activists who would love to do that, the Republican establishment are just happy the issue has gone away, and considering what the polls said about support for Kim Davis (and what numbers on gay marriage in general will obviously look like several years from now) they won't be encouraging any Republican legislatures, Governors or Attorneys General to do that.

Passing a law to recriminalize gay sex and actually enforcing the law to overturn a decision that even Mike Huckabee has spoken in support of is even a bigger stretch.

There are hordes of threats that could come from Republican Supreme Court nominations, but this isn't one that worries me.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 03:43:18 PM »

The difference between those issues and abortion is unlike abortion they don't have much of a push against them anymore regardless of the Supreme Court's makeup, in order to overturn Obergefell vs. Hodges some state would have to pass a law banning gay marriage again, refuse to issue same-sex marriage licenses, and be willing to fight lawsuits all the way to the Supreme Court. While there are many activists who would love to do that, the Republican establishment are just happy the issue has gone away, and considering what the polls said about support for Kim Davis (and what numbers on gay marriage in general will obviously look like several years from now) they won't be encouraging any Republican legislatures, Governors or Attorneys General to do that.

Passing a law to recriminalize gay sex and actually enforcing the law to overturn a decision that even Mike Huckabee has spoken in support of is even a bigger stretch.

There are hordes of threats that could come from Republican Supreme Court nominations, but this isn't one that worries me.

They wouldn't have to pass a law criminalizing gay sex.  Gay sex is illegal in 12 states by statute.  The day that Lawrence v. Texas gets overturned, gay sex will be illegal in Texas and 11 other states.

As for a law banning same-sex marriage, don't you think Mississippi would be willing to do that?  And, it's the same statutory issue.  States need to interpret their laws to allow gay marriage under Obergefell.  If that gets oveturned, they can stop gay marriages and all recognition of same-sex marriages in their court system.

In order to overturn Lawrence v. Texas or Obergefell vs. Hodges though some state would need to have to actually directly challenge it and appeal it all the way up to bring a case. It can't just "be overturned". I don't see any state, even Mississippi, to start trying to enforce the now unenforceable sodomy law on the book and be willing to defend it that far just because it was pretty unenforceable to begin with.

Trying to stop issuing same-sex marriage licenses is more likely, but I think the reaction to Kim Davis was enough message for how well that'd go over.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies