question about police shootings
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:58:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  question about police shootings
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: question about police shootings  (Read 642 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 26, 2015, 12:10:27 AM »

does anyone here think the judicial system has gone too far in making it an extra penalty for shooting police? I mean doesn't it kind of make them a protected class of sorts? I'm not advocating  shooting officers in the slightest (after all I'm a critic of black lives matter) however it seems people get overworked when an officer gets shot when they're just another human being like everyone else. I mean most police shootings, in my opinion, are not the same thing as something Ted Bundy or Rodney Alcala would do since most police shootings aren't premeditated.

publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 12:40:51 AM »

Someone who shoots a police officer means that they thought out all the consequences and likelihood of being caught, and still committed murder. It deserves a harsher penalty.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 01:28:16 AM »

does anyone here think the judicial system has gone too far in making it an extra penalty for shooting police? I mean doesn't it kind of make them a protected class of sorts? I'm not advocating  shooting officers in the slightest (after all I'm a critic of black lives matter) however it seems people get overworked when an officer gets shot when they're just another human being like everyone else. I mean most police shootings, in my opinion, are not the same thing as something Ted Bundy or Rodney Alcala would do since most police shootings aren't premeditated.

Disguesting post.

IMO you shoot a cop =automatic death penalty.    The police officer represents the law of that state, city, county government and more importantly the people hes there to serve and protect. If a prep not only commits crimes against the citzens and then also shoots the Officer that's even worse then premeditated murder.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 01:40:02 AM »

Depends. I agree that in some cases shooting anyone (including the police) can be defensible and thus lawful. Recently some States have begun eliminating special protections for Police Officers that made legal defenses like self-defense and mistake unavailable if the person shot was a police officer without regard to circumstances. I wasn't able to find the article but I recall about 4 or 5 years ago reading about one state eliminating this rule because an on-duty cop who was drunk illegally entered the home of someone else and assaulted them, and there were concerns afterwards that even fighting back against illegal cop activity would be illegal.

However, I don't think enhanced sentencing for the deliberate killing of an on-duty cop (especially one responding to an emergency) is unreasonable if there is no legal defense. I feel killing a state protector while they are trying to protect others is much more of an attack on society than is a typical killing. Ditto for Firefighters, EMTs in ambulances, and other public safety officials.

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/state-passes-law-legalize-self-defense-police/

Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 03:30:26 AM »

Yes, whether your kill Obama, or a middle-age man, you deserve the same punishment.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 09:14:46 AM »

Of course they should be a protected class with greater penalties for shooting /assaulting one. And yes, self-defense can be claimed in the bizarre situation of an on-duty cop going completely rogue.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 11:39:13 AM »
« Edited: November 26, 2015, 12:27:33 PM by Wolverine22 »

Absolutely not. I have nothing for them but a few four-letter words.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 01:49:35 PM »

Of course they should be a protected class with greater penalties for shooting /assaulting one. And yes, self-defense can be claimed in the bizarre situation of an on-duty cop going completely rogue.

I agree.  It's the same principle that we have a special penalty for assaulting a bus driver or a subway conductor.  Nobody is complaining about that!
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 04:20:42 AM »

Harming police doesn't just hurt a private individual, it hurts the public safety and welfare in general.
Also we need our police to do the dangerous stuff we're afraid to do, the least we can give them is an assurance that we're doing an above-average job protecting their safety.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 12:56:38 PM »

In a parallel to this, near where I live a police officer died in a car crash that was an accident while he was off duty; he was speeding, yes. The town reacted by lowering flags to half mast and going through a big public eulogy, which I thought was an overreaction. Of course it's sad when anyone dies like that, cops included, but an ordinary person would not have gotten that. In the line of duty, police are given too much leeway, so when one is injured or killed a LOT of assumptions are made at the start that probably shouldn't be, and burden of proof against police often seems higher than it should be or higher than in other cases. Many people have jobs that could be considered dangerous, so the "public defender" argument does not wash for me.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies