Opinion of Utilitarianism
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:04:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of Utilitarianism
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Opinion of Utilitarianism  (Read 2141 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2015, 10:22:57 PM »

Obviously any application of it to general behavior has to be heavily modified and I don't think anyone is a big supporter of it in its purest form. It could be easily used to justify rape for instance. But I think it provides the best justifications for most liberal/progressive/social democratic policies, like universal healthcare and a generous social welfare state, and most arguments against it seem to be a very warped form of deontology, which downright disturbs me. For examples I've seen libertarians argue that government programs and assistance are fundamentally immoral even if they end up saving the state money (for example the guy arguing that Medicaid was fundamentally immoral on here a few weeks ago) or krazen's entire posting history and basic philosophy of government, which has to be the most warped and disturbing form of deontology I've ever read...except possibly for TNF's, which is basically what you get when you try to justify such policies on more deontological than utilitarian grounds.

But as stated, no one but a troll would use it in a pure 100% literal form.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2015, 03:03:56 PM »

Obviously any application of it to general behavior has to be heavily modified and I don't think anyone is a big supporter of it in its purest form. It could be easily used to justify rape for instance. But I think it provides the best justifications for most liberal/progressive/social democratic policies, like universal healthcare and a generous social welfare state, and most arguments against it seem to be a very warped form of deontology, which downright disturbs me. For examples I've seen libertarians argue that government programs and assistance are fundamentally immoral even if they end up saving the state money (for example the guy arguing that Medicaid was fundamentally immoral on here a few weeks ago) or krazen's entire posting history and basic philosophy of government, which has to be the most warped and disturbing form of deontology I've ever read...except possibly for TNF's, which is basically what you get when you try to justify such policies on more deontological than utilitarian grounds.

But as stated, no one but a troll would use it in a pure 100% literal form.

I wish Atlas had a "like" button for posts such as this.

And I wish Atlas then also allowed socks so I could make a pile of them for the sole purpose of liking this post some more.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2015, 03:07:10 PM »

And I wish Atlas then also allowed socks so I could make a pile of them for the sole purpose of liking this post some more.

LOL. When I start a topic and nobody responds I could talk to myself and nobody would know.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2015, 06:28:10 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2015, 05:00:11 AM »

I'd rather have morality be based on society's principles and why and what the intent of what a person is doing.Utilitarianism seems to be a theory designed by idiots.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies