Alan Grayson to Sue if Ted Cruz is the Nominee
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:26:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Alan Grayson to Sue if Ted Cruz is the Nominee
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Alan Grayson to Sue if Ted Cruz is the Nominee  (Read 3988 times)
Gilmore/Cruz for America
gilmoreforamerica

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2015, 11:45:13 PM »

I don't see what the controversy is. Obama's birth certificate proves that he was born in the United States. Cruz's birth certificate proves that he was born in Canada, which is a foreign country.

And federal law says Cruz was still born a U.S. Citizen as long as long as both parents were citizens when he was born.
Correct. In Cruz's case, however, his father was not a U.S. citizen; he was a Cuban citizen.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2015, 12:10:11 AM »

I don't see what the controversy is. Obama's birth certificate proves that he was born in the United States. Cruz's birth certificate proves that he was born in Canada, which is a foreign country.

And federal law says Cruz was still born a U.S. Citizen as long as long as both parents were citizens when he was born.
Correct. In Cruz's case, however, his father was not a U.S. citizen; he was a Cuban citizen.

Ok, fine. I wasn't sure what his father's citizenship status was at the time, but as long as his mom was a U.S. citizen and met age and residency requirements when Cruz was born, then Cruz was still born a U.S. citizen.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2015, 12:27:41 AM »

Ok, fine. I wasn't sure what his father's citizenship status was at the time, but as long as his mom was a U.S. citizen and met age and residency requirements when Cruz was born, then Cruz was still born a U.S. citizen.

Federal law cannot define the meaning of the "natural born citizen" clause in the Constitution. Only the Supreme Court can do that.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2015, 12:29:23 AM »

Federal law cannot define the meaning of the "natural born citizen" clause in the Constitution. Only the Supreme Court can do that.

What do you think "natural born citizen" means?
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2015, 12:30:45 AM »
« Edited: November 27, 2015, 12:32:41 AM by Ljube »

A person born in the USA. This excludes McCain and Cruz.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2015, 12:54:46 AM »

What do you base that conclusion on?
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2015, 01:06:56 AM »

US military bases ARE US soil. John McCain has no qualms about his citizenship. Just his moderacy and liberalism....
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2015, 01:32:04 AM »

Freedom F[inks]ing Fighter! I, for one, am looking forward very much to embracing the very effective Republican-employed tactics if we find ourselves out of the White House come 2017, or whenever it happens next. They have given us so many good ideas and conspiracies in which to indulge once we no longer have the responsibility of being the "mature" party in power.

You thought 9/11 truthers and vaccine fear-mongering were bad? Just wait until we're out of the White House again - especially if it's someone like Cruz, Rubio or Carson (you know, "because of their bad policies")!
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2015, 10:32:49 AM »

That's a native born citizen. A natural born citizen is a citizen by virtue of their birth. Yes the Supreme Court could interpret this and hypothetically come up with something different that we would have to accept, but in lieu of that having happened we can use applicable US Law and common sense.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2015, 12:09:41 PM »

What do you base that conclusion on?

No person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty-five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.

It is clear that the intent of this natural born citizen clause was to prevent someone who was born and raised abroad and who has another country, so to say, from ever becoming President. It is obvious from the other requirement, which is to be 14 years a resident within the US.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2015, 12:39:45 PM »

It is clear that the intent of this natural born citizen clause was to prevent someone who was born and raised abroad and who has another country, so to say, from ever becoming President. It is obvious from the other requirement, which is to be 14 years a resident within the US.

So you say. To me it seems clearer that the intent of the residency clause is to ensure a citizen must have ties and stakes to the country beyond the technicalities of citizenship. And the purpose of the natural born citizen clause is to prevent a foreign carpetbagger from being eligible to be President.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2015, 12:42:37 PM »

It's no surprise that some Democrats would be ready to hand this back to Republicans after the whole birther nonsense. What goes around comes back around.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2015, 12:48:27 PM »

It's no surprise that some Democrats would be ready to hand this back to Republicans after the whole birther nonsense. What goes around comes back around.

It's not the same thing. The birthers claimed that Obama was not born in Hawaii.

Nobody disputes that Cruz was born in Canada.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2015, 12:50:10 PM »

So you say. To me it seems clearer that the intent of the residency clause is to ensure a citizen must have ties and stakes to the country beyond the technicalities of citizenship. And the purpose of the natural born citizen clause is to prevent a foreign carpetbagger from being eligible to be President.

If that were true, anchor babies wouldn't be considered natural born citizens.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2015, 03:21:36 PM »

If that were true, anchor babies wouldn't be considered natural born citizens.

Well that was added well after the clauses you're talking about. You can call anchor babies a loophole, but it doesn't obviate the intent behind the citizenship and residency clauses you've cited, whatever it was.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2015, 08:49:44 PM »

HA As a Floridian I'm ashamed that people from our state elected this man! Long known for outrageous comments, some not even politically related but about his ex-wife, Rep. Grayson has sunk to a new level. He threatens to sue if Ted Cruz is the nominee on citizenship grounds. Regardless of his birth place, his parents were citizens, making him automatically a citizen at birth and therefore, a natural born citizen. This is a clear example that the rep is either catering to his base or is confused about the legal basis of natural born citizenship. Which is it? Or is it both?

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2015/11/25/alan-grayson-threatens-lawsuit-on-citizenship-grounds-if-ted-cruz-is-the-gop-nominee/

Not a Grayson fan, but aren't you late for Algebra?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2015, 12:13:37 AM »

Part of the problem is that there is no current legal definition of "natural born citizen" in the law.  Hasn't been since 1795 when the Naturalization Act of that year superseded the one of 1790 which did define the term, and by that definition, Ted Cruz is not a natural born citizen as someone born abroad was a natural born citizen if they were the child of citizens.  Not the plural, citizens.  Cruz's father was not a US citizen at the time of his birth. Not only that, but he had become a Canadian citizen.

As I recall, there are some states that require candidates for president (or any other office) to be eligible for the office before they are placed on the ballot. If Cruz is the nominee, the lawsuits could begin before November.
DS0816
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2015, 12:42:48 AM »

Good!
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2015, 01:30:41 AM »

Oh great. More vindictive Team Red vs. Team Blue nonsense. I forgot that 2 wrongs make a right and that 10,000 wrongs make a 2-party system.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies