Alan Grayson to Sue if Ted Cruz is the Nominee (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:07:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Alan Grayson to Sue if Ted Cruz is the Nominee (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Alan Grayson to Sue if Ted Cruz is the Nominee  (Read 4013 times)
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« on: November 26, 2015, 05:34:54 PM »

Cruz was not born in the United States and therefore is a naturalized citizen. His naturalization may be automatic, but he still went through a naturalization procedure.

Only the Supreme Court can answer the question if citizens born outside of the USA can be considered natural born citizens.

Um, no, that's not what "naturalization" means. According to anybody. You're not even making this dumb argument correctly.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 07:05:45 PM »

I don't see what the controversy is. Obama's birth certificate proves that he was born in the United States. Cruz's birth certificate proves that he was born in Canada, which is a foreign country.

And federal law says Cruz was still born a U.S. Citizen as long as long as both parents were citizens when he was born.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 12:10:11 AM »

I don't see what the controversy is. Obama's birth certificate proves that he was born in the United States. Cruz's birth certificate proves that he was born in Canada, which is a foreign country.

And federal law says Cruz was still born a U.S. Citizen as long as long as both parents were citizens when he was born.
Correct. In Cruz's case, however, his father was not a U.S. citizen; he was a Cuban citizen.

Ok, fine. I wasn't sure what his father's citizenship status was at the time, but as long as his mom was a U.S. citizen and met age and residency requirements when Cruz was born, then Cruz was still born a U.S. citizen.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 12:29:23 AM »

Correct. In Cruz's case, however, his father was not a U.S. citizen; he was a Cuban citizen.

Ok, fine. I wasn't sure what his father's citizenship status was at the time, but as long as his mom was a U.S. citizen and met age and residency requirements when Cruz was born, then Cruz was still born a U.S. citizen.

Federal law cannot define the meaning of the "natural born citizen" clause in the Constitution. Only the Supreme Court can do that.

What do you think "natural born citizen" means?
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 12:54:46 AM »

Federal law cannot define the meaning of the "natural born citizen" clause in the Constitution. Only the Supreme Court can do that.

What do you think "natural born citizen" means?

A person born in the USA. This excludes McCain and Cruz.

What do you base that conclusion on?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies