Gary Johnson opposes intervention in Syria
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 04:28:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Gary Johnson opposes intervention in Syria
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Gary Johnson opposes intervention in Syria  (Read 6154 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2015, 09:37:00 PM »

Thank God libertarianism, as an ideology, is totally and completely dead, falling Rand Paul's disastrous campaign.
You are high. The liberty movement continues to grow.

This would've been a joke post even in 2011.
You are not involved in liberty politics so you have no idea what is going on.
I am. We are falling apart. 2016 has been a setback. Not a permanent one, but definitely a set back. Badger isn't wrong.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2015, 10:27:57 PM »

Libertarianism and Pacifism, as well as Non-Interventionism is a horrid ideology, so I don't really care what Gary Johnson thinks, anyways I much prefer Rand Paul.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2015, 10:45:46 PM »

Gary Johnson is not a loser. Unlike the current Republican front-runner, he was successful in business because he worked hard and he's smart. Unlike the current Republican front-runner, Gary Johnson loves his country, is faithful to his family, and values human freedom. So, he's not a "loser."

ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2015, 11:42:19 PM »

Well he's right.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2015, 12:36:03 AM »

Gary Johnson is not a loser. Unlike the current Republican front-runner, he was successful in business because he worked hard and he's smart. Unlike the current Republican front-runner, Gary Johnson loves his country, is faithful to his family, and values human freedom. So, he's not a "loser."

LOL GOT EM
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2015, 01:57:56 AM »

What Gary Johnson is saying makes a whole lot of sense. We went into Iraq, spent so much in terms of both blood and treasure, and what do we have to show for our efforts today? Islamic fundamentalists going nuts in the very region that precipitated the surge. The United States has shown itself to be incapable of determining the good guys from the bad guys, at least in this region of the world. Perhaps this is because there are no clear lines. Do we really trust our "friends", the Saudi's? The one group that's been solidly in our corner (besides Israel), the Kurds, we can't support properly due to the politics of our NATO ally, Turkey. This is the dictionary definition of a mess.

Going forward, any and all military actions should begin with a very clear statement of both the objective(s) and the exit strategy. And this has nothing to do with being afraid that we can't crush any adversary militarily, it has everything to do with our inability to understand what happens after we do so.

And for the record, I'm one of those in Mr. Johnson's 2012 0.99% popular vote.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2015, 10:03:49 AM »

LOL GOT EM

Americans had a choice in 2012. Mitt Romney ran to return to free market principles and restoring America as a leader in the world while Barack Obama has been a divisive leader who doesn't believe in free markets and American leadership. Gary Johnson was the Libertarian Nominee in 2012 and since Americans had a choice between the two parties, he barely got any votes. But he's not a loser, he was twice elected Governor of New Mexico and he did a good job there. He's been successful in business. He's not a loser. 
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2015, 01:25:07 PM »

One big argument against destabilizing a dictator is you create a vacuum that can be exploited by terrorists. It's been employed by Rand Paul and Gary Johnson hints at it here. There are other arguments against militarily engaging Daesh but that one doesn't apply.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2015, 01:30:40 PM »

mencken
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2015, 01:45:21 PM »

One big argument against destabilizing a dictator is you create a vacuum that can be exploited by terrorists. It's been employed by Rand Paul and Gary Johnson hints at it here. There are other arguments against militarily engaging Daesh but that one doesn't apply.

The issue with intervening against Daesh is not destabilization (unlike prospective intervention against Assad), but an issue of futility. For those short of memory, US forces have twice overthrown a dreadful Sunni-dominated state in Mesopotamia, only to have it reform as soon as they withdraw. What is to prevent such a thing from happening again once US forces expend more blood and treasure to temporarily achieve the 2004/2007 status quo? There are means of enacting a permanent settlement, but liberal democracies lack the political will to use such draconian tactics. Better to let the Russians, who are less squeamish about using traditional methods of warfare, to do the dirty work, even if they are more concerned with securing Assad then fighting Daesh (the lady doth protest too much)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2015, 08:12:18 PM »

Thank God libertarianism, as an ideology, is totally and completely dead, falling Rand Paul's disastrous campaign.

I am. We are falling apart. 2016 has been a setback. Not a permanent one, but definitely a set back. Badger isn't wrong.
How are we falling apart?
Have you seen Rand Paul's polling?
mencken
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2015, 09:14:32 PM »

I am a bit perplexed as to why you jumped ship from a candidate polling 2% to support a less agreeable candidate also polling 2%.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2015, 03:02:28 PM »

I am a bit perplexed as to why you jumped ship from a candidate polling 2% to support a less agreeable candidate also polling 2%.
He was doing better at the time. I no longer am supporting anyone at this point, frankly. I've learned a bit too much through the more well connected people at my internship.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies