if nixon is eagleton'd in 1952 what happens?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:35:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  if nixon is eagleton'd in 1952 what happens?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: if nixon is eagleton'd in 1952 what happens?  (Read 662 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 27, 2015, 03:30:23 PM »

my guess is that someone like William Jenner of Indiana is picked as Ike's running mate and Nixon serves in the senate until losing reelection in 1974.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 03:33:55 PM »

McGovern had a legitimate, if terrible, reason to drop Eagleton. Nothing like that exists with Nixon AFAIK. There's no reason for Eisenhower to pick Nixon and then drop him.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 06:00:40 PM »

McGovern had a legitimate, if terrible, reason to drop Eagleton. Nothing like that exists with Nixon AFAIK. There's no reason for Eisenhower to pick Nixon and then drop him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checkers_speech
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 11:43:03 AM »
« Edited: December 09, 2015, 02:09:08 PM by Lincoln Republican »

If Nixon becomes the Vice Presidential candidate with Eisenhower in 1952, and due to previously undisclosed reasons by Nixon, Eisenhower and his staff determine that Nixon must be dropped from the ticket, Eisenhower's advisors would recommend to Eisenhower that Senator Henry Cabot Lodge Jr. of Massachusetts become the Vice Presidential nominee.

Eisenhower and Lodge go on to win a landslide victory in the 1952 election.

Depending on the reasons for Nixon being dropped from the ticket, he could either go on to a successful Senate career, or be forced to return to private life and have a successful and lucrative career in law.

Pat Nixon would be much happier regardless.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 01:48:18 PM »

I read somewhere that Senator Knownland from California (is that how you spell it) was the back up choice
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 02:01:40 PM »

Why'd Nixon lose reelection in 1974? There wouldn't be a Watergate to lead to the massacre of Republican Senators. I'd imagine he'd serve until his death in 1994, rising to the rank of majority leader. He might run again for POTUS at some point.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 02:19:30 PM »

I read somewhere that Senator Knownland from California (is that how you spell it) was the back up choice

There is actually some merit to that.

Presumably, when it became clear Eisenhower was going to become the nominee, he said to his aides, "find me someone from California".  I have read this in an Eisenhower biography.
---------------------------------
Senator William F Knowland
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 09:20:20 PM »

This issue was quite different. Eagleton's issues were judged by the American people as showing him to be incompetent and untrustworthy. Eagleton was never given the chance to win back public opinion. Nixon, crafty as ever, won the heart of the public with his speech. Moreover, Eisenhower never really got into the issue that McGovern had with his "1000% support statement" and then turning back on that when Eagleton finally told him the full story. I maintain that McGovern was unfairly judged when he in fact was lied to.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 12:07:13 PM »

This issue was quite different. Eagleton's issues were judged by the American people as showing him to be incompetent and untrustworthy. Eagleton was never given the chance to win back public opinion. Nixon, crafty as ever, won the heart of the public with his speech. Moreover, Eisenhower never really got into the issue that McGovern had with his "1000% support statement" and then turning back on that when Eagleton finally told him the full story. I maintain that McGovern was unfairly judged when he in fact was lied to.

Although McGovern was negligent for not  exercising good judgment when he failed to have Eagleton adequately vetted for the Vice Presidential nomination.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies