Senate Residency Requirement Amendment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:30:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Residency Requirement Amendment
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Senate Residency Requirement Amendment  (Read 5954 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: May 26, 2005, 06:30:03 PM »

Please understand that this is not an "Anti-King Law".  What he did was right for his time.

You have a point regarding lesser-known people, but I'm curious of this: if you think that what King did was right, then why are you suggesting we ban such an act?

Also, after thinking about it for a moment, couldn't lesser-known people just become more well-known?  It's not very hard to do so.

What I am saying is that what he did was right for his time, because of the dirth of candidates that were running in that particular election.

Couldn't the same sort of scenario arise again?

We should strive to make sure that it doesn't and one way that we could do that is by passing this.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #76 on: May 26, 2005, 06:33:38 PM »

I will be honest right now, I have a plan towards ending our population problem.  This is the first step.

Step 2:  If elected President, create a commision to reach out to others on the net to bring in more citizens.

Step 3: Once we have reached a higher population point, expand the both the number of districts and regions.

But we need this first.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #77 on: May 26, 2005, 06:37:47 PM »

Please understand that this is not an "Anti-King Law".  What he did was right for his time.

You have a point regarding lesser-known people, but I'm curious of this: if you think that what King did was right, then why are you suggesting we ban such an act?

Also, after thinking about it for a moment, couldn't lesser-known people just become more well-known?  It's not very hard to do so.

What I am saying is that what he did was right for his time, because of the dirth of candidates that were running in that particular election.

We should strive to make sure that it doesn't and one way that we could do that is by passing this.

If we had this in place, we wouldn't have had any good candidates to challenge NixonNow, or am I thinking of a different episode with King?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #78 on: May 26, 2005, 06:50:22 PM »

If we had this in place, we wouldn't have had any good candidates to challenge NixonNow, or am I thinking of a different episode with King?

No, the same, but that misses the point, I think.  I misused a word here, I did not mean "right" so much as "acceptable" (a word I rarely use and does not figure prominantly in my vocab).  It was "acceptable" for King at the time, because there were so few contested races, there were no laws against it, and NixonNow was a well known and contraversial candidate.  But if we are going to set things right for the future, we cannot accept this anymore.

All this sets a bad precedent, regardless of the outcome of the race.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: May 26, 2005, 07:06:25 PM »

No, the same, but that misses the point, I think.  I misused a word here, I did not mean "right" so much as "acceptable" (a word I rarely use and does not figure prominantly in my vocab).  It was "acceptable" for King at the time, because there were so few contested races, there were no laws against it, and NixonNow was a well known and contraversial candidate.  But if we are going to set things right for the future, we cannot accept this anymore.

Well, I still haven't gotten an answer to the question regarding why the residents of a certain district would not be better at figuring out who they want to represent them than the federal government.  It seems to me that this bill would prevent people in a region from getting the representative that they really want purely because there are no good candidates.  If there is a good candidate from the region and someone tries to carpetbag, wouldn't it be simple enough for them to simply not elect the carpetbagger?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #80 on: May 26, 2005, 07:18:12 PM »

Well, I still haven't gotten an answer to the question regarding why the residents of a certain district would not be better at figuring out who they want to represent them than the federal government.  It seems to me that this bill would prevent people in a region from getting the representative that they really want purely because there are no good candidates.  If there is a good candidate from the region and someone tries to carpetbag, wouldn't it be simple enough for them to simply not elect the carpetbagger?

Once again, I seem to have failed to express myself...

"Good" candidate is a subjective term.  A region might have five unknown candidates who are running who would make good Senators, but we don't know that until they have acctually been in office.  Meanwhile, someone who is better known could simply jump in and crush all five of them, because people are naturally going to give them preferencial treatment, esspecially if they come from a party that has a lot of strength in that area.

We aren't taking away antones right to choose, we are making sure that these senarios don't ever take place, thus, paradoxically, givin people more freedom to choose, by allowing for wider fields or candidates who are on better par with one another.

I know that doesn't quite answer your question, but I think the premise of your question should not be treated as the main focus, rather that these senarios do and will continue to happen.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #81 on: May 27, 2005, 12:29:43 AM »
« Edited: May 27, 2005, 10:43:57 PM by Senator Supersoulty »

Well, it has been 24 hours and no one has changed their minds.  Looks likes this has died a horrible death.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2005, 04:07:01 AM »

Well, it doesn't look like anyone else is paying attention, so it's not like my changing my vote would affect anything, anyway.

24 hours is (very) up; with five votes against to one in favor, and with one abstaining, this amendment has failed.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2005, 07:15:17 AM »

For the record, i vote nay.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2005, 08:55:54 AM »

Don't we have room for a couple more bills?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #85 on: May 28, 2005, 10:42:38 AM »

Don't we have room for a couple more bills?

2 or 3 if I believe! Tongue
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #86 on: May 28, 2005, 12:45:21 PM »

It appears the Republican government has failed.  I appologize for introducing this bill and making it so apparent.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #87 on: May 28, 2005, 12:46:18 PM »

It appears the Republican government has failed.  I appologize for introducing this bill and making it so apparent.

What do you mean by Republican?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #88 on: May 28, 2005, 12:51:38 PM »

You are looking at this all wrong Soulty: the Republican government didn't fail, the Libertarian government succeeded.

Populists
Supersoulty
PBrunsel
MasterJedi
Cosmo Kramer

Libertarians
ColinW
King
Daniel X
Gabu
MAS117

Unknown
Sam Spade (Political compass and actions differ)
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #89 on: May 28, 2005, 12:54:44 PM »

You are looking at this all wrong Soulty: the Republican government didn't fail, the Libertarian government succeeded.

Populists
Supersoulty
PBrunsel
MasterJedi
Cosmo Kramer

Libertarians
ColinW
King
Daniel X
Gabu
MAS117

Unknown

Sam Spade has often said that the political compass doesn't work with him and that he would describe himself and his positions as moderately libertarian.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #90 on: May 28, 2005, 12:58:55 PM »

"Republican" means "of or pertaining to a Republic".  I assumed that that very simple meaning would have no trouble communicating itself, since Atlasia is not not a two party system and we are a Republic.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #91 on: May 28, 2005, 08:24:06 PM »

Populists
Supersoulty
PBrunsel
MasterJedi
Cosmo Kramer

Libertarians
ColinW
King
Daniel X
Gabu
MAS117

Unknown

Sam Spade has often said that the political compass doesn't work with him and that he would describe himself and his positions as moderately libertarian.

I agree.  My results show me typically to be dead center, but in truth I'm probably 2-4 points more socially liberal than economically liberal (or vice vers)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #92 on: May 29, 2005, 04:18:24 PM »

Shouldn't we start on another piece of legislation to replace this one?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies