Which party has the most mayors?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:13:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Which party has the most mayors?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which party has the most mayors?  (Read 2885 times)
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 28, 2015, 05:18:57 PM »

Which political party has the most mayors? Despite Republican strength in state legislatures, I'd have to guess the Democrats have more mayors, since the GOP is really a rural rump party, and more GOP supporters live in unincorporated areas.

I'd certainly guess that more people live in places with Democratic mayors, since Democrats are stronger in bigger cities. I'd bet that even in northern Kentucky, more people have a Democratic mayor.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 05:36:26 PM »

I'd be really interested in seeing a response to this.  While I'm sure the Democrats have an overwhelming advantage in large cities, I bet the Republicans win quite a few mayorships in smaller cities/towns.  And then local realignment tends to lag quite a bit behind the national trends, so there's probably a ton of Democrat local officials in the white South along with Republicans in small town New England.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 05:46:39 PM »

In terms of mayors governing total amounts of people,  the Democrats probably have a large advantage with their overwhelming number of mayors in large cities.

In terms of number of mayors overall I wouldn't be surprised if Republicans still have an edge just due to all those obscure small town places in the suburbs, exurbs, and out in the middle of nowhere. 
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 06:35:33 PM »

Top 10 Cities in TN are neatly packed by partisanship:

1. Memphis - D (new Mayor is D with R support)
2. Nashville/Davidson - D
3. Knoxville - D
4. Chattanooga - D
5. Clarksville - D
6. Murfreesboro - R
7. Franklin - R
8. Jackson - R
9. Johnson City - R
10. Bartlett - R

Meanwhile, all but 1 of the top 10 counties has an R mayor, and that one is also a city.

1. Shelby - R
3. Knox - R
4. Hamilton - R
5. Rutherford - R
6. Wiliamson - R
7. Montgomery - R
8. Sumner - R
9. Sullivan - R
10. Blount - R
kcguy
Romania

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 11:45:35 AM »

I can't speak from personal experience, as I've never lived anywhere with partisan mayoral elections.  Even Kansas City, MO, city council is non-partisan.  (Although, it doesn't seem to routinely develop pro-mayor and anti-mayor factions.)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 02:22:47 PM »

It probably depends a lot on whether you count cities with non-partisan mayors. In those cities, I'd say that "Republicans" have an advantage, but I doubt there's any data on that. In cities with partisan mayors, I'm guessing there's more Democrats.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 02:29:40 PM »

It probably depends a lot on whether you count cities with non-partisan mayors. In those cities, I'd say that "Republicans" have an advantage, but I doubt there's any data on that. In cities with partisan mayors, I'm guessing there's more Democrats.

I think now it's probably the opposite. Starting last year, I noticed Republicans were much more likely to win when it's a partisan election.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 04:17:36 PM »

I think now it's probably the opposite. Starting last year, I noticed Republicans were much more likely to win when it's a partisan election.

That may be true, but I'm assuming that elections are more likely to be partisan in bigger cities, which are more likely to elect Democrats.
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 05:05:10 PM »

Top 10 Cities in TN are neatly packed by partisanship:

1. Memphis - D (new Mayor is D with R support)
3. Knoxville - D
4. Chattanooga - D
5. Clarksville - D
6. Murfreesboro - R
7. Franklin - R
8. Jackson - R
9. Johnson City - R
10. Bartlett - R

Meanwhile, all but 1 of the top 10 counties has an R mayor, and that one is also a city.

1. Shelby - R
3. Knox - R
4. Hamilton - R
5. Rutherford - R
6. Wiliamson - R
7. Montgomery - R
8. Sumner - R
9. Sullivan - R
10. Blount - R

Are you sure that Strickland is a Democrat- I thought he was an Independent?  Also, while Nashville, Knoxville, and Chattanooga all have Democratic mayors, their most recent elections were all very competitive.  Not really sure about Clarksville.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 05:11:06 PM »

In Kentucky, cities #1 and #2 have Democratic mayors.  I'm pretty sure #5 and #8 are Democratic, and #6 is Republican. I have no clue about the other cities in the top 10.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 11:27:25 PM »

I can't speak from personal experience, as I've never lived anywhere with partisan mayoral elections.  Even Kansas City, MO, city council is non-partisan.  (Although, it doesn't seem to routinely develop pro-mayor and anti-mayor factions.)

Even if KC elections are nonpartisan, Sly James is obviously a Democrat.
kcguy
Romania

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 08:28:07 PM »
« Edited: December 02, 2015, 08:32:04 PM by kcguy »

I can't speak from personal experience, as I've never lived anywhere with partisan mayoral elections.  Even Kansas City, MO, city council is non-partisan.  (Although, it doesn't seem to routinely develop pro-mayor and anti-mayor factions.)

Even if KC elections are nonpartisan, Sly James is obviously a Democrat.

Most of KC's recent mayors look like Democrats.  Funkhouser's about the only hard one to figure out.

Conversely, I assume most of Overland Park's mayors have been Republican.  But it's impossible to know for sure a lot of the time.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 10:33:37 PM »

Looking at Missouri's ten biggest cities:

Kansas City: Sly James; Nonpartisan, Democrat
St. Louis: Francis Slay; Democrat
Springfield: Nonpartisan, Libertarian
Independence: Eileen Weir; Nonpartisan, Democrat
Columbia: Bob McDavid; Nonpartisan, Probable Republican
Lee's Summit: Randy Rhoads; Nonpartisan, Can't tell either way
O'Fallon: Bill Hennessy; Nonpartisan, Probable Republican
St. Joseph: Nonpartisan, Can't tell either way
St. Charles: Sally Faith; Nonpartisan, Republican
St. Peters: Len Pegano; Republican
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2015, 11:12:17 PM »

I really wish US states would standardize local government. Have a simple layer system, anyway...

I know a lot of places have weird "mayors" who are really not delegated a lot of power, but are a figurehead for the area.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2015, 09:05:05 AM »

I really wish US states would standardize local government. Have a simple layer system, anyway...

I know a lot of places have weird "mayors" who are really not delegated a lot of power, but are a figurehead for the area.

The essence of local government is direct local control over the form of that government. Municipalities form when the public wants them to form. In IL the public can adopt different forms of local government by referendum. For instance they can vote to switch from a mayor-council form of government where the mayor is chairman and CEO to a managerial form where the mayor acts only as the chairman of the board and operating power is vested in a city manager appointed by the board.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2015, 09:15:56 AM »

"Municipalities form when the public wants them to form."

In NY, it's when the legislature wants them to form, and they are quite parsimonious about that. Hudson would not make the cut today. NY has but 62 cities I think.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2015, 03:28:01 PM »

In NY, it's when the legislature wants them to form, and they are quite parsimonious about that. Hudson would not make the cut today. NY has but 62 cities I think.

I've noticed that about the NE , they tend to resist city formation. But at least in New England they have public town meetings to provide for local governance. In much of the Midwest the state sets the rules about the types of governance, but the public can choose from the options.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2015, 03:45:18 AM »

New York uses villages as the equivalent of cities elsewhere.

Cities in New York are outside any town, so if a city annexes territory it is lost to the town.

The last city created was Rye in the 1940s.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies