Do you believe Creationism should be taught in public schools
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:50:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Do you believe Creationism should be taught in public schools
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Poll
Question: Do you believe creationism should be taught in public schools
Yes

No

Unsure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 113

Author Topic: Do you believe Creationism should be taught in public schools  (Read 13503 times)
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 28, 2015, 06:12:21 PM »

And why
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 06:13:34 PM »

Yes, beacuse students should always learn both sides of the argument and come to their first win conclusion.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 06:28:58 PM »

Are you posting from 2007?
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 07:34:48 PM »

Not unless it's part of some sort of religious studies class.
wolfsblood07
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 08:01:29 PM »

Unsure.
I lean towards no, although I believe prayer in public schools would be good.  I would let local communities decide.  If areas in the south and midwest wanted it I would have no problem with it.  But I would not want it mandated.
Only Christian teachings, if any.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 08:19:16 PM »

Only in a world cultures / religious studies / literature kind-of class.

NOT as a scientific/historical alternative.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 08:37:26 PM »

Yes because they deserve to here the scientific and valid arguments behind it!
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 08:47:42 PM »

Such as... Huh
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 08:56:32 PM »

Such as... Huh
The skepticism of radiometric dating, the theory behind Mitochondrial Eve and Y chromosomal adam and their connection to the flood, the evidence for a major flood (I can provide the basics but prefer not to for now it takes a while), etc
 For more information I recommend Walt Brown's textbook "in the beginning" he's a very well respected scientist and former evolutionist who became a creationist due to "overwhelming evidence"
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2015, 09:02:22 PM »

Walt Brown? You guys are still using that old hack and his magical hyroplates?
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2015, 10:16:07 PM »

The grass is green vs. The grass is orange.
The children should learn the views of both sides.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2015, 11:04:58 PM »

No, but this whole issue is making a mountain out of a molehill. I get the impression on both sides that it's more about signalling that you are not one of those people than the education of one's children.

Frankly, I'm far more concerned about the way math and reading are taught in my local public school system than how evolution is addressed in science class.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2015, 11:43:37 PM »

Yes, for Religious/Philosophical Classes, not in Science which would be insane. They should also say, that it is an opinion, point of view that is is not proven by science.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2015, 11:50:22 PM »

Yes, for Religious/Philosophical Classes, not in Science which would be insane. They should also say, that it is an opinion, point of view that is is not proven by science.

The catch here is that virtually no schools have a religion/philosophy class. But I do think a chapter or two in social studies about what different religions think about evolution would be a good idea. Preferably it would be timed with when evolution is taught in science class. If not, then there should probably be some sort of 'discussion' on evolution as it relates to philosophy when evolution is discussed simply because without it, many of them are going to tune it out.

Creationism, however, is not science as modernly conceived and should not be taught as such. It would be a good opportunity to discuss what types of questions can be answered by the scientific method and what types cannot, although that might be a bridge too far for a public school.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2015, 12:53:40 AM »

Is there any scientific evidence that there is a creator?
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2015, 12:59:05 AM »

Yes, beacuse students should always learn both sides of the argument and come to their first win conclusion.
Should atheism be taught in religious schools? Shouldn't the students get both sides on the god issue as well?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2015, 01:26:13 AM »

The catch here is that virtually no schools have a religion/philosophy class. But I do think a chapter or two in social studies about what different religions think about evolution would be a good idea. Preferably it would be timed with when evolution is taught in science class. If not, then there should probably be some sort of 'discussion' on evolution as it relates to philosophy when evolution is discussed simply because without it, many of them are going to tune it out.

Creationism is far from the first topic that I'd pick to argue the point, but why shouldn't science lessons be more informed by the historical and philosophical underpinnings of their subject matter? To leave this context out is to leave students with an impoverished understanding of the topic. It may even be nonsensical, analogous to explaining science to someone with no understanding of measurement or basic algebra.

Science often does get taught along with the historical context. For example, we all learned about Bohr's model of the atom even though it turned out not to be correct. There is something of a weighing game between spending more time teaching the history of science versus more time teaching what science tells us about things. Truthfully, a historical account of evolution is probably one of the more pertinent history of science topics to cover if we want people to understand evolution.

The problem we get into here is that there is a large temptation to engage in some sort of social engineering with the subject for one cause or another. I am personally of the view if we want more people to "believe in evolution" then the best way to do that is to teach them about various religions (particularly Christian denominations/Biblical interpretations) that have accepted it. On the other hand that may be untenable for various reasons: are we brainwashing the students to be particular denominations? Hold a view that Christianity and evolution aren't contradictory? If approached neutrally and well that sort of knowledge could be quite beneficial.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2015, 01:36:19 AM »

No. Creationism is not fact, nor is it another "side of the argument". If there was a religion that was spewing that "2 + 2 = 5" and that both should be taught, wouldn't that be counterproductive? People have a right to teach and learn what they want in their own homes, not mine. If you have a moral objection to being taught, or having your child taught evolution, find a private school. Public schools are to inform, not to indoctrinate personal views.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2015, 01:51:56 AM »

No, but this whole issue is making a mountain out of a molehill. I get the impression on both sides that it's more about signalling that you are not one of those people than the education of one's children.

Frankly, I'm far more concerned about the way math and reading are taught in my local public school system than how evolution is addressed in science class.

Shouldn't high school students learn basic biology?  Evolution is one of the central theories in biology, if not the central theory.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2015, 02:03:46 AM »

Not unless it's part of some sort of religious studies class.

This but with the condition that the religious studies class would be an elective and not a requirement
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2015, 02:55:50 AM »

Shouldn't high school students learn basic biology?  Evolution is one of the central theories in biology, if not the central theory.

Perhaps, but it's not like it's very difficult to learn.  I recall evolution being by far one of the easiest topics in AP Biology, with genetics/molecular biology, especially having to learn the enzymes and pathways involved in DNA replication, transcription, etc.  That's far harder than any of the concepts needed for evolution.

Anyways, teaching creationism should be the prerogative of the local church, so I'm not in favor of creationism being taught in public schools, unless it is part of a Bible class.  It's not a scientific theory but rather a lens by which one sees the world (a Biblical worldview), which includes how one interprets scientific evidence. 

What does that matter how difficult you found different concepts in your biology class?
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2015, 07:59:21 AM »

Religious views of faith should not be taught in public schools, no*. Its pretty clear cut, anybody that doesn't understand this is pretty simple minded.

*unless its a class on the Bible, and its about the content in the Bible.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2015, 09:05:03 AM »

Yes, it needs to be part of the social studies curriculum.  A significant portion of this country believes in creationism so it needs to be covered from that POV.  However, it has absolutely no place in a science class except maybe as an example of what is not science.  Basically, the non-theistic attempts at creationism all boil down to, I can't imagine how evolution might have produced a particular characteristic, therefore it must be impossible for it have done so.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2015, 10:06:30 AM »

Certainly not as scientific fact, or as a viable alternative to evolution/the Big Bang/abiogenesis/plate tectonics.

Regarding religious and social studies classes, or the "history of science" parts of science classes, I think it might be useful to teach what the Bible actually says, and what people thought about that up until the 19th century. I don't think it's really useful to teach what Ken Ham thinks.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2015, 12:20:26 PM »

If you learn biology as a list of discrete concepts, you're getting a bad education.  You should be understanding biology as a series of systems that work together.  You have to learn evolution to understand biological systems.  I don't know how many days you need to spend learning it, but it's a central theory.  If you don't understand evolution, you can't truly understand anything in biology. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies