The South and Party Switching:
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:50:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  The South and Party Switching:
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The South and Party Switching:  (Read 786 times)
hopper
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 29, 2015, 12:49:24 AM »

Why do Deep South States like Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and even Georgia have so much party switching in terms of state politicians switching from Dem to Republican in this decade so far  but other lets say Upper Southern States don't have a lot of party switching like South Carolina, Tennessee, and Kentucky? Of course other Southern States like Virginia and North Carolina aren't going to have a lot of party switching because of population centers like Northern Virginia, and "The Research Triangle" respectively in North Carolina. I was just at looking the "Party Switching Page" on "Wikipedia".

ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 01:01:39 AM »

A lot of deep south white dems in state legislatures (and even nationally, like Gene Taylor) represented districts that were won by national Republicans by wide margins. The thing is, usually the way you vote at the national level represents ideology more than any other election, and state legislators need to be representative of their districts ideology. That's pretty much the reason I think, but someone (Miles, Griffin?) could tell me I'm wrong. As for why it hasn't happened as much in places like Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas? Those places were slower to adapt to more Republican voting. All of them voted for Clinton (except SC, which you referred to). The KDP still has lots of power, and Arkansas just shed its Democratic control last year. I think in those places people are more able to see beyond just party, they are less "stiff" (inelastic) in their voting and mindset. This has generally been true throughout history too (Democrats consistently got >80% in every race in the deep south, but not in the upper south).
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 05:39:19 AM »
« Edited: November 29, 2015, 08:44:09 AM by smoltchanov »

I would add that until 1990th, and in some cases (Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, to lesser extent - Alabama)  - well into 2000th, there was a considerable number of really conservative (not what's really takes place  today when one uses term "conservaDem" - these are centrist or even moderate liberals) Democratic legislators in Southern legislatures. They really had almost nothing in common with Nancy Pelosi, and even less - with Barack Obama. Look at such present day Mississippi legislators as  Browning, Mettetal, Bounds, Shows, Smith, White, at Dial or Holley in Alabama, Ward and Fannin in Louisiana, Collins-Smith in Arkansas, and their like. No one could classify them even as "moderates" even when they were Democrats, though, by fact,  they all were first elected as Democrats. Now they can have their cake and eat it too: they are influential as members of majority caucus (which became a majority partially because of their switching too), they must not "betray" their conservative principles even on party-line voting. and so on. Even state parties (don't even speak about national one here) in their states became much more liberal (and, frequently, Black-dominated). There is at least some truth when they say "the party left me...". Both national and their state parties...
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 11:54:12 AM »

I would add that until 1990th, and in some cases (Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, to lesser extent - Alabama)  - well into 2000th, there was a considerable number of really conservative (not what's really takes place  today when one uses term "conservaDem" - these are centrist or even moderate liberals) Democratic legislators in Southern legislatures. They really had almost nothing in common with Nancy Pelosi, and even less - with Barack Obama. Look at such present day Mississippi legislators as  Browning, Mettetal, Bounds, Shows, Smith, White, at Dial or Holley in Alabama, Ward and Fannin in Louisiana, Collins-Smith in Arkansas, and their like. No one could classify them even as "moderates" even when they were Democrats, though, by fact,  they all were first elected as Democrats. Now they can have their cake and eat it too: they are influential as members of majority caucus (which became a majority partially because of their switching too), they must not "betray" their conservative principles even on party-line voting. and so on. Even state parties (don't even speak about national one here) in their states became much more liberal (and, frequently, Black-dominated). There is at least some truth when they say "the party left me...". Both national and their state parties...

There's one in Kentucky who I can think of: State Rep. Tom Kerr of Taylor Mill. He is a Republican now, but was originally elected as a Democrat. Even when he was a Democrat, he was so conservative that he wouldn't endorse conservative Democrats like Ken Lucas, and endorsed Gex Williams instead.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 12:09:26 PM »

There's one in Kentucky who I can think of: State Rep. Tom Kerr of Taylor Mill. He is a Republican now, but was originally elected as a Democrat. Even when he was a Democrat, he was so conservative that he wouldn't endorse conservative Democrats like Ken Lucas, and endorsed Gex Williams instead.

I remember him too. But there are relatively few such people in Upper South compared with Deep South..
hopper
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 09:41:19 PM »

Yeah Collins-Smith thought the Arkansas State Democrat Party was getting to much like the national one.  Her parents were maybe are still Democrats as well I believe. There hasn't been a lot of party switching in Arkansas either as opposed to other Deep South States either.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 11:37:27 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2015, 08:49:39 AM by smoltchanov »

Yeah Collins-Smith thought the Arkansas State Democrat Party was getting to much like the national one.  Her parents were maybe are still Democrats as well I believe. There hasn't been a lot of party switching in Arkansas either as opposed to other Deep South States either.

Not much. But Holcomb recently switched too. Republican party was too weak in Arkansas even 10 years ago, and that limited legislators interest in switching. But now it's a majority... On the other side - most of Arkansas Democratic conservatives were still more of "pragmatic conservative", not "diehard far-right" type, and, thus, "too liberal" for Republican party. With rather strict term limits in effect they simply retired in 2000th... Though i can't rule out couple of more switches..
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies