House vote to halt resettlement of refugees from Syria and Iraq
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:30:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  House vote to halt resettlement of refugees from Syria and Iraq
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: House vote to halt resettlement of refugees from Syria and Iraq  (Read 2772 times)
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2015, 10:15:37 AM »

We need to stop allowing right-wing Christian terrorists to be in this country.

You really should hold off posting this until a right-wing Christian terrorist has strapped on a suicide vest and attended a crowded sporting event or concert. Are there murderers of every possible political/ethnic/religious persuasion? Absolutely. As a result, is there an equivalence across the board? Don't be silly...

Shooting up a group of people with as semi-automatic rifle and then shooting oneself produces the same result, no?
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2015, 03:38:04 AM »

If course we should consider what others around the world consider to be the right thing to do, but I'm saying that the governments of some of the countries you listed are not exactly known to be pillars of moral authority on human rights issues. Do you disagree with that?

I agree wholeheartedly; I don't think the governments/peoples of the countries I listed are to be looked on as having any moral authority. All I'm saying is that those who argue that the United States needs to take on refugees from a problematic part of the world would have a bit easier time making the argument if wealthy countries in that part of the world were found to be doing their share. (Or any share, for that matter). Do you disagree with that?
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2015, 04:06:27 AM »

We need to stop allowing right-wing Christian terrorists to be in this country.

You really should hold off posting this until a right-wing Christian terrorist has strapped on a suicide vest and attended a crowded sporting event or concert. Are there murderers of every possible political/ethnic/religious persuasion? Absolutely. As a result, is there an equivalence across the board? Don't be silly...

Shooting up a group of people with as semi-automatic rifle and then shooting oneself produces the same result, no?

The difference is that to my knowledge, Christianity doesn't have the equivalent of wahhabism, and does not condone the murdering of those of other belief systems. Are there nut job Christians that murder people anyway? Absolutely, and they should be dealt with in exactly the same way as any other murdering wacko. And if there is a radicalized Christian denomination, then yes, it should be handled in the same way as we handle radicalized portions of Islam. I just fail to see the same level of organized radical elements within the Christian and Muslim communities, which is why I draw the distinction.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2015, 04:36:47 PM »

So the new goalpost for American morality should be "well, as long as we're not worse than Qatar?"

No, it should be "well, as long as we're not worse than the combination of six of the richest Muslim nations on the planet."  I mentioned the specific nations: Qatar, United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Oman, and Bahrain. Why is it that the United States needs to take on the responsibility of these refugees, given the fact that neighboring Muslim nations don't seem to care one iota? I know, I know, we have to be generous and welcoming, we should not be thinking of ourselves but of those in need. That argument would carry much more weight if this didn't appear to be yet another case of the U.S. being asked to shoulder costly measures that others have no interest in sharing in. Why is that, exactly?

Without taking the time to confirm it on Wiki, i'm rather confident the US has a substantially greater total population , land mass, and GNP (overall, and I'd bet even average per capita too) than all of those 6 countries combined . we're quite arguably more able to absorb a greater number of refugees than all those countries combined.

You could proably add 20 more micro-nations like Vanuatu and Kiribati to the list of countires the US is accepting more refugees than their cumulative total, but the apples to oranges distinction would be just as obvious .
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2015, 04:42:12 PM »

If course we should consider what others around the world consider to be the right thing to do, but I'm saying that the governments of some of the countries you listed are not exactly known to be pillars of moral authority on human rights issues. Do you disagree with that?

I agree wholeheartedly; I don't think the governments/peoples of the countries I listed are to be looked on as having any moral authority. All I'm saying is that those who argue that the United States needs to take on refugees from a problematic part of the world would have a bit easier time making the argument if wealthy countries in that part of the world were found to be doing their share. (Or any share, for that matter). Do you disagree with that?

Yes, I disagree with that. Nobody is arguing that the U.S. should take in all the refugees, but we can take in a large number without it being a huge burden on us. If other countries aren't pulling their weight, then so what?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2015, 04:43:23 PM »

Ugh another example of how the Democratic Party is not being particularly effective. No Democrats should be voting for this.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2015, 09:21:01 PM »

Without taking the time to confirm it on Wiki, i'm rather confident the US has a substantially greater total population , land mass, and GNP (overall, and I'd bet even average per capita too) than all of those 6 countries combined . we're quite arguably more able to absorb a greater number of refugees than all those countries combined.

You could proably add 20 more micro-nations like Vanuatu and Kiribati to the list of countires the US is accepting more refugees than their cumulative total, but the apples to oranges distinction would be just as obvious .

It sounds like many here are saying that the world's problems need to be addressed solely by the United States, that the rest of the world bears no responsibility in this regard. I disagree. Understand that I'm not saying these "micro-nations" should take in a large number of refugees, but I think it's reasonable to expect them to be doing a bit more than they are right now, especially given that the people looking to be resettled share the same cultural,  religious, and political values as those in other countries of the region.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2015, 05:10:49 AM »

Yes, I disagree with that. Nobody is arguing that the U.S. should take in all the refugees, but we can take in a large number without it being a huge burden on us. If other countries aren't pulling their weight, then so what?

Because we have so much money spend! No need to worry about excessive debt...

For the record, here are the figures from the HHS 2013 report on Middle Eastern Refugees receiving welfare aid in our country:

Cash assistance:  68.3 %
Medical / refugee medical assistance:  73.1%
Food stamps:  91.4%

A drop in the bucket, but an additional drop nonetheless.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2015, 11:59:52 AM »

If we're going to shut the door for Syrian Refugees, can we at least make sure all the Iraqi and Afghan Interpreters get in?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2015, 12:37:22 PM »

Nation states are basically the same thing as the 'safe spaces' conservatives get so pissy about.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2015, 10:23:24 AM »

If we're going to shut the door for Syrian Refugees, can we at least make sure all the Iraqi and Afghan Interpreters get in?

Absolutely. Those who have helped us in Iraq and Afghanistan should be given special consideration; that shouldn't be an issue.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2015, 12:35:49 PM »

I think this is one of the few things that the House has right, and I have to applaud the "several dozen Democrats" on this. I support being cautious, yes, but I also fail to see it as our responsibility to open our borders, intervene, etc.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2015, 02:12:31 PM »

What's the worst the Syrian refugees can do? Shoot up a public place? We already have plenty of Americans doing that every week
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2015, 06:44:20 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_Horse
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2015, 08:40:23 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_fʊck_yourself
The Last Northerner

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2015, 09:55:40 PM »
« Edited: December 08, 2015, 09:57:20 PM by The Last Northerner »

Despite the utter ridiculousness of some of the pro-refugee arguments here, I am firmly on the  side of Obama/Pelosi on letting the Syrian and Iraqi refugees in. The House brings up concerns that should be addressed but in the long run, the United States destroyed their home countries and should bare the responsibility of helping the people... but I absolutely see why some would be concerned about terrorism and think some sort of follow up legislation (with a seperate vote on this) to better screen for possible terrorists. Something extra to monitor and intergrate the refugees would also be nice.
The Last Northerner

« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2015, 10:15:27 PM »

It sounds like many here are saying that the world's problems need to be addressed solely by the United States, that the rest of the world bears no responsibility in this regard. I disagree. Understand that I'm not saying these "micro-nations" should take in a large number of refugees, but I think it's reasonable to expect them to be doing a bit more than they are right now, especially given that the people looking to be resettled share the same cultural,  religious, and political values as those in other countries of the region.

When people are especially deseperate, theywill flee to wherever they can (Cambodians fleeing the Khmer Rouge to Communist Viet  Nam) if it is realistically attainable. Some of the nearby countries have governments that are utter trash but where else could the average Syrian or Iraqi refugee flee to without help? These countries are close by with similiarish cultures.

- Saudi Arabia - Fleeing ISIS for the Salafist home?
- Lebanon - In some ways more 'western' than most of the nearby countries but a powder keg for more conflcit... esp. the recent terror attacks.
- Iran - In the unlikely possibility of an ISIS 'victory' in Syria, the Alawites would probably take this option in the face of almost certain genocide.
- Israel - HA!
- Palestine - Fleeing a war zone to another war zone?
- Turkey - The most reasonable choice and Turkey is already taking them in.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2015, 12:34:51 AM »

Lebanon, Jordan, Kurdish areas etc. are extremely burdened with refugees atm. I agree that the Gulf monarchies need some kind of Arabian Robespierre though.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies