What does Kasich think he's doing?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:33:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  What does Kasich think he's doing?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What does Kasich think he's doing?  (Read 2528 times)
Abraham Reagan
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 2.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 29, 2015, 02:26:56 PM »

He's still out there railing against Trump and treating him as just some passing phase. Can he not see that attacking Trump is not a ticket to success and that the 3 leading candidates besides Trump have all largely avoided attacking him. Does he seriously think this is going to get him anywhere?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 02:29:55 PM »

Kasich is the text book definition of a bad leader. He only listens to people who already agree with him, and they all agree that they need to go nuclear on Trump. Thus, that's what Kasich is doing, and I expect the results to be pretty embarrassing when Trump slaughters him in the debate for the THIRD TIME.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 03:02:14 PM »

If I were advising him politically, I'm not sure I would advise him to do what he is doing.  

However, as someone who cares about the country and the party, I'm behind him 100%.  I've never been more proud of a Presidential candidate until I saw Kasich's latest anti-Trump ad.  In a sense he's rallying his base.  Sure his base is like 6 people, but its nice for us to be fired up too Smiley

I think it is high time that moderates (formerly known as conservatives in a less crazy era) stop cowering in fear and start FIGHTING BACK.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 03:07:47 PM »

If I were advising him politically, I'm not sure I would advise him to do what he is doing.  

However, as someone who cares about the country and the party, I'm behind him 100%.  I've never been more proud of a Presidential candidate until I saw Kasich's latest anti-Trump ad.  In a sense he's rallying his base.  Sure his base is like 6 people, but its nice for us to be fired up too Smiley

I think it is high time that moderates (formerly known as conservatives in a less crazy era) stop cowering in fear and start FIGHTING BACK.

I am not supporting John Kasich obviously, but I share with you the same sentiment: I am very proud of John Kasich. I've had my issues with him on a few issues, but I've always respected him and I think he'd make a good President. Governor Kasich's ad is a very powerful one. If we don't stand up for the rights of legal immigrants, reporters, and innocent muslims, how can we stand up for our values as a nation? Even those here illegally have basic human rights. John Kasich is one of just five or six candidates who are making adult arguments. However, he is the only candidate who is calling Donald Trump out on making silly arguments. Marco Rubio has tried to refrain from attacking Donald Trump. Jeb Bush has not been effective at contrasting with Donald Trump. Rand Paul has gone after Donald Trump, but not as forcefully as John Kasich.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 03:38:30 PM »

I am not supporting John Kasich obviously, but I share with you the same sentiment: I am very proud of John Kasich. I've had my issues with him on a few issues, but I've always respected him and I think he'd make a good President. Governor Kasich's ad is a very powerful one. If we don't stand up for the rights of legal immigrants, reporters, and innocent muslims, how can we stand up for our values as a nation? Even those here illegally have basic human rights. John Kasich is one of just five or six candidates who are making adult arguments. However, he is the only candidate who is calling Donald Trump out on making silly arguments. Marco Rubio has tried to refrain from attacking Donald Trump. Jeb Bush has not been effective at contrasting with Donald Trump. Rand Paul has gone after Donald Trump, but not as forcefully as John Kasich.

Question: If Kasich continues this same strategy and constantly hitting at Trump, would you be swaying to vote for him?

If so, this is what Kasich is doing. 59% of Republicans had a negative opinion of Trump in July. All he needs is to rally the 59%, and I support him wholeheartedly in that endeavor.

#ModeratesFightBack
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 03:47:04 PM »

Ah, you mean the people that are supporting Trump? Because that's who all the polls are saying moderates support.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 03:48:19 PM »

Kasich is essentially the establishment's fourth-string option after Rubio, Bush, and Christie and thus has nothing to lose by attacking Trump.
I support Sanders
Bernie2016

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 07:21:55 PM »

Question: If Kasich continues this same strategy and constantly hitting at Trump, would you be swaying to vote for him?

If so, this is what Kasich is doing. 59% of Republicans had a negative opinion of Trump in July. All he needs is to rally the 59%, and I support him wholeheartedly in that endeavor.

#ModeratesFightBack
This is why Kasich will be the nominee.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 12:26:30 AM »

He's running for Treasury Secretary in the Jeb Bush administration.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 01:18:05 AM »

It's very sad what he's doing to his reputation. I don't think anyone will take him seriously again after all this. Thankfully, real moderates are saying "no thank you" to Krazy Kasich and getting behind TRUMP.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 06:29:25 PM »

That is totally true
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2015, 07:08:51 PM »

That is totally true

Kasich needs the strategy he's taken; it's the only niche left for him.  It's a longer-range strategy than some, but it could pay off.  The spinelessness of others will be an issue if Trump's image suddenly turns to crap and he loses support.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2015, 10:50:33 PM »

Look at the candidates who have focused on running positive campaigns, on their own strengths: Cruz, Rubio, Christie... all surging, all up in the polls. And now look at the ones running small-minded, negative campaigns, obsessed with Trump: Kasich, Fiorina, Jindal, Perry, Bush... all disasters.

Kasich is an idiot, and his campaign is run by idiots, and he's not going to win a single thing.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2015, 09:09:39 AM »

Look at the candidates who have focused on running positive campaigns, on their own strengths: Cruz, Rubio, Christie... all surging, all up in the polls. And now look at the ones running small-minded, negative campaigns, obsessed with Trump: Kasich, Fiorina, Jindal, Perry, Bush... all disasters.

Kasich is an idiot, and his campaign is run by idiots, and he's not going to win a single thing.

Generally agreed, but it's kind of late for Kasich to take this tack.  His campaign has swerved from theme to theme and has become incoherent.  He SHOULD have been the Establishment's pick, but now I'm seeing why he wasn't, despite demographic advantages and a super-solid resume.  If he can be seen as the guy who inflicted fatal wounds on Trump, the Establishment might see him as a VP candidate and a guy they "owe". 
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2015, 02:18:01 PM »

I think that a lot of Republicans may see Trump as the spoiler candidate.
If he gets the nomination Clinton wins.
If he runs as a third party candidate, Clinton definitely wins.
If Kasich leads the No Trumps in attacking Trump, he scores brownie points with the establishment.
The general election may come down to Ohio or Virginia, and Republicans should not forget that.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2015, 02:25:20 PM »

I think that a lot of Republicans may see Trump as the spoiler candidate.
If he gets the nomination Clinton wins.
If he runs as a third party candidate, Clinton definitely wins.
If Kasich leads the No Trumps in attacking Trump, he scores brownie points with the establishment.
The general election may come down to Ohio or Virginia, and Republicans should not forget that.

Good analysis.

#ModeratesFightBack

I am supporting Governor Bush and if/when Bush exits the race, I will probably support Marco Rubio. But I think John Kasich would make a good President and if he's in the best position to defeat Donald Trump, I would consider supporting him but in the end, I vote based on an individual candidates qualifications, record, and stances as opposed to who they are best able to defeat.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2015, 03:08:33 PM »

Kasich is arguably the only Republican who's running a worse primary campaign than Jeb. I don't think he'd win the nomination if he were the only candidate on the ballot.

The worst bit is that he's not even running a good "screw it, I'm calling out the crazies campaign"! He's consistently unwilling to confront Cruz, Trump, Fiorina, Carson, etc. in both direct and specific terms. He seems to prefer yelling, waving, and making (usually) extreme vague complaints that mostly amount to tone policing rather than anything more substantive.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2015, 03:21:11 PM »
« Edited: December 05, 2015, 03:22:55 PM by Torie »

It's very sad what he's doing to his reputation. I don't think anyone will take him seriously again after all this. Thankfully, real moderates are saying "no thank you" to Krazy Kasich and getting behind TRUMP.

You are really gilding the lily now. How many "real moderates" do you actually know, other than myself, who loathes Trump? Yes I know, NY is the epicenter of chutzpah, so it's probably just a cultural thing on your part. Tongue
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2015, 03:24:47 PM »

You are really gilding the lily now. How many "real moderates" do you actually know, other than myself, who loathes Trump? Yes I know, NY is the epicenter of chutzpah, so it's probably just a cultural thing on your part. Tongue

I rely on scientific polling, not anecdotal evidence, which shows that TRUMP is winning moderates.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2015, 05:25:49 PM »

I rely on scientific polling, not anecdotal evidence, which shows that TRUMP is winning moderates.

What makes these moderates "real?" Am I an ersatz moderate? Smiley That is the implication of your comment. Moderates who don't like Trump are mere imposters with but a sartorial moderate veneer. 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2015, 06:23:20 PM »

Kasich is the text book definition of a bad leader. He only listens to people who already agree with him, and they all agree that they need to go nuclear on Trump. Thus, that's what Kasich is doing, and I expect the results to be pretty embarrassing when Trump slaughters him in the debate for the THIRD TIME.

True this. He only listened to his fellow executives/bankers at the Lehman Brothers, and we are still paying for what they did to the global economy.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2016, 03:02:34 PM »

lol
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2016, 04:14:32 PM »

Why Kasich doesn't have a lot of conservative bona fides is beyond me.  The guy was part of the GOP House Leadership and was considered a movement conservative.  After he retired from Congress, he had a TV show on FOX News called "Heartland".  What does one have to be considered a "conservative" these days?

I know, I know; Kasich expanded Medicaid.  That the GOP has lambasted its Governors who have done this is so incredibly shortsighted; failing to do so has hammered funding for rural hospitals in a number of states that have not expanded Medicaid. 

I will say, however, that the new anti-establishment mood of the GOP has little or nothing to do with Kasich's campaign dragging its tail.  Kasich's personality isn't one that has worn well.
pho
iheartpho
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -1.39

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2016, 04:38:32 PM »

To some degree, Kasich honestly believes that these primary campaigns are about the intricacies of policy and executive credentials. It's to his bewilderment that no one cares that he's the Governor of Ohio or that he helped balance the federal budget 20 years ago. His response to this perceived slight hasn't been flattering.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies