IL-Comptroller 2016: Biss drops out
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:24:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IL-Comptroller 2016: Biss drops out
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: IL-Comptroller 2016: Biss drops out  (Read 919 times)
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 23, 2015, 05:25:35 PM »

State Sen. Daniel Biss cancels Comptroller run

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://peoriapublicradio.org/post/biss-bows-out-comptrollers-race#stream/0

Another testament to the organization of the ILDP. I would say I am disappointed IL Dems won't get a choice in the primary (probably would have voted for Biss) but the DP in this state is a lot stronger and smarter than the GOP, avoiding nasty primaries and focusing on winning.

Biss will get his time at a different position - he is young and with potential.

I'll be using this thread as the thread for this race.
mds32
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 06:48:23 PM »

I think the GOP may still win this race.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 08:59:04 PM »

National gamechanger #1
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 07:52:07 PM »

Susana Mendoza will win the IL controller race.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 11:18:42 PM »

I think the GOP may still win this race.
PAK Man

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 10:28:32 AM »

It seems to me that if you're a non-controversial incumbent in Illinois, you stand a good chance at getting reelected, regardless of political party (Topinka always got reelected, albeit by narrow margins in 1994 and 1998). Munger stands a chance at winning the remainder of Topinka's term. There's no guarantee she'll be defeated. I'm not aware of her doing anything that would make Illinois voters angry. Granted, statewide races aren't held during presidential elections, so this will be new territory, but I wouldn't count her out at all.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 12:59:09 PM »

It seems to me that if you're a non-controversial incumbent in Illinois, you stand a good chance at getting reelected, regardless of political party (Topinka always got reelected, albeit by narrow margins in 1994 and 1998). Munger stands a chance at winning the remainder of Topinka's term. There's no guarantee she'll be defeated. I'm not aware of her doing anything that would make Illinois voters angry. Granted, statewide races aren't held during presidential elections, so this will be new territory, but I wouldn't count her out at all.

Honestly more than anything else, it has to do with whether a GOP candidate is popular in the suburbs.

In the 80's and early 90's, the city was solid D, suburbs solid R, and downstate swingy. Then in the 90's and early 00's, the suburbs became more friendly for Dems but ILGOP was worried that if they nominated someone too popular in the suburbs, this would lose them downstate (they worried about this in Kirk's race).

That's proving to just not be true anymore. Downstate will vote for Republicans pretty much no matter what. Even Dick Durbin, popular downstate Democrat, lost big downstate in 2014 (although he did better than other Dems that cycle).

It seems that now the city is solid D and downstate is solid R, so the game is in the suburbs. Munger is a very good fit for the suburbs, similar to the likes of Topinka and Cross were.

She will have a shot, but I do also think that Mendoza will be a strong candidate. Not to mention that Munger is a unique incumbent - she's never appeared on Illinois ballots outside of the legislative district that she ran in.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 10:43:16 AM »
« Edited: December 02, 2015, 10:55:12 AM by OC »

Munger stands a good chance, but thats it, Latinos will come out strongly in favor of the Dem ticket due to Kirk's vote against immigration reform. This is a 50/50 race, especially since Hilary will have some coattails with women & Trump wont. Mendoza is marginally better than Munger.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies