ACA Convention - Tampa, FL
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:02:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  ACA Convention - Tampa, FL
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: ACA Convention - Tampa, FL  (Read 8078 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 19, 2005, 11:12:25 PM »
« edited: May 20, 2005, 04:03:00 PM by Keystone Phil »

Welcome to Tampa, Florida!

We are proud to call Tampa's St. Pete Times Forum
               the home of our first convention!

It's going to be a great weekend, folks! Enjoy your time and remember - take some time to explore the city!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 11:19:34 PM »

Keystone Phil approaches the podium, located at the center of the stage, in the St. Pete Times Forum. He grabs the gavel and opens the convention.

Good morning, delegates! I now delcare this first ACA convention open!

I know it's early but we have to get this convention started. We have a busy schedule. I will recognize any delegates for speeches at this time. Later in the day, I will recognize Mr. Jake, the Chairman of the Platform Committee, to present our newly written platform. Debate will be allowed and then a vote.

Right now, speakers will be given a chance to address the delegates and delegates may discuss convention activities. If you are a delegate and wish to spend some time out of the convention hall, I invite you to visit the many wonderful sites around this great city. Enjoy your time here and let's have a great convention!
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 02:20:27 PM »

Mr. Brandon H. of Louisiana makes his way to the stage and prepares to address the convention.

Good evening. I am here tonight to talk to you about our economic policy. And
our economic policy, in its simplest form, can be defined as capitalism.

Many would have said that capitalism and conservatism is uncaring and cruel
towards those less fortunate than us. While it may seem that way on the surface,
with a better understanding, one can see that this is not the case.

Do you want to know what is cruel? A person goes and works, and regardless of
what that job is, he needs to give some of it to the government and the
government in turn takes some of that money and gives it to someone else or it
is used for the government to provide a service for everyone that this person
may not need. Some money is given to someone who is not working. Some times the
person receiving that money is truly in need and may be disabled and can't work.
Many times though, this money is given to a person who is capable of working who
chooses not to. What motivation does a person have to go work when he is given
everything without work? And what motivation does a person have to go work when
his money is going to someone else who chooses not to work and to some service
that he will never use? Why should a person with no children be paying for
public education, while the person who chooses not to work receives this service
for free? But, to the person who goes out and works, and knowing he is working
to make money for himself, few things are more rewarding.

I have mentioned that there are people who are disabled and aren't capable of
work. Now, there are two ways to help this person. One way is for the government
to take half of your paycheck and help those out, which, since this person has
no control over their situation, doesn't sound that bad. But when money goes
through the government, which is a giant bureaucracy, every person who lays
their hands on that money needs to take some of it. If the government takes $100
from a man to give to people who need it, by the time it gets to them, only $50
may reach them. But if a man willingly gives $100 to charity, $90 or more will
make it to it's designated target. And if a man is not forced by the government
to give them his hard earned money, he will be more inclined to give money out
of the goodness of his heart to a charity that can distribute money more
effectively than the government can. Because in a capitalistic society with a
conservative philosophy, the government does not attempt to do what what people
and organizations outside of the government can do more effectively.

If you believe in individual responsibility, the rewards of hard work, and
the ability to create your own future, then support the Atlasian
Conservative Alliance. The only thing that can limit your future is
government. But when we limit government, your future has no limit.

[applause.]
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005, 03:35:56 PM »

Thank you BrandonH. I'd like to also add my welcome to all of our delegates, visitors, and party officials gathered here in beautiful Tampa, Florida. It has been exciting to serve as the Deputy Chairman of first the Republican Party and then the Conservative Alliance over the past three months and I'd like to announce that I am running for another four month term as Deputy Chairman. I'll be speaking at greater length on the need for a stronger military tommorrow before our keynote speaker Lt. Governor J. J. , but again, welcome everyone and enjoy your stay here in sunny Florida.

Good night
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 5.74

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 03:52:32 PM »

[Walks on stage to the song “Born in the USA”]
[Applause]

Thank you!  Thank you all so much for your warm welcome!

Mr. Chairman, Delegates, Friends:

Let me begin by saying how honored I am to be addressing this convention tonight.  It is truly an honor for me, a brand new Atlasian, to have such an honor.  Thank you.

[Applause]

A few days ago, I was scrolling through this site.  I was looking at the Atlas, and as if by fate, I stumbled upon these forums, which I now know as Atlasia.  I began posting in the forums about my thoughts on the 2008 elections, about President Forever, about fantasy elections, and other things, unaware of this grand online government which I am now a proud member of.

I took a look at this online government, Atlasia, and I said, “Why not join?”  And join I did.

[Applause]

There I was, a new member, just signed in.  Within seconds, I was getting warm welcomes and advice and assistance from everyone.  Atlasia is really such a warm community.

Then, I took another step.  I joined the Atlasian Conservative Alliance.

[Applause]

Within the process of a day, I was woven into the fabric of the party and of the community.  I had gone from a newbie with a few posts to a proud, complete member of the forums.  I am now proud to be the ACA nominee for the Southeast Senate spot.

[Applause]

You see, I have been in many online communities.  Yet, never was there such a warm welcome as the one I received from the ACA.  My presence in this grand convention hall addressing you tonight was brought about by the kindness and care of those in this community and in this party.

[Applause]

It is amazing and special to me how I was inducted into the ranks of this party, how I am now a chat room regular, making new friends, gaining new interests.  It is an incredible experience that I owe to this grand party, the Atlasian Conservative Alliance.

[Applause]

This alliance is so open and welcoming to everyone.  I am a moderate.  I support the politics of John McCain and Chuck Hagel.  Yet, in the same party, I coexist harmoniously with those as far to the right as Rick Santorum and Alan Keyes.  Okay, maybe not as far right as Alan Keyes.

[Laughter]

I look at the other parties of this board, and how there are so many different parties only with tiny breaches in ideology.  In the Atlasian Conservative Alliance, no little disagreement over any little policy will ever break this party apart!

[Applause]

We are united!  We stand together!  We accept the fact that others have different beliefs and we still welcome them into our party!

[Applause]

This party, a few days ago, welcomed in a new member.  This member was far more moderate than most of the others in this party.  He was young and new, without much experience on the forums.  Yet, he was welcomed in by the ACA, and tonight, he addresses this convention.

That member is me!  My experience in Atlasia has been rewarding and richening because of the kindness and open arms of the Atlasian Conservative Alliance!

[Applause]

We are the party of open minds and open arms, of unity and acceptance, of morals and of values, and we will fight for what we believe in!

[Applause]

Thank you!  God bless you!  And may God bless Atlasia!  Good night!

[Applause]
[Meyers walks off stage]

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 05:00:08 PM »

I'd like to send my thanks to the previous speakers. Excellent job by all.

At this time, I would like to place my name in front of the convention for re-election as Chairman of the ACA. I have also been informed by our current Deputy Chairman, Mr. Jake, that he would also like to stand for re-election. So, for the next six hours, any member of the ACA can object to either mine or Jake's re-election. State who you object to and a vote will be held.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2005, 06:06:10 PM »

I'd like to send my thanks to the previous speakers. Excellent job by all.

At this time, I would like to place my name in front of the convention for re-election as Chairman of the ACA. I have also been informed by our current Deputy Chairman, Mr. Jake, that he would also like to stand for re-election. So, for the next six hours, any member of the ACA can object to either mine or Jake's re-election. State who you object to and a vote will be held.

I hereby object to Jake's re-election.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2005, 06:09:49 PM »
« Edited: May 20, 2005, 06:11:35 PM by Keystone Phil »

A vote on the re-election of Deputy Chair Jake will now open. The vote will last for six hours. I apologize to those who don't think this is enough time but we have some other very important things to discuss this weekend.

All those in favor of re-election Jake, please vote Aye. All opposed to Jake's re-election, please vote Nay and vote for whoever you want to replace him.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2005, 06:13:21 PM »

My only suggestion is if Phil wins the Presdency, he should resign as ACA chairman, as I don't think the President should be the chairman of a party. Ideally, I think it would be even better if a party chairman were not a candidate for president, but until we get more people here, that is something that I think we will have to accept. Otherwise I have no objection and support Mr. Phil and Mr. Jake for re-election.

(2 new posts while typing this.)

I would like to hear Mr. Daniel X's objection to Mr. Jake, otherwise I will vote aye.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2005, 06:15:15 PM »

My only suggestion is if Phil wins the Presdency, he should resign as ACA chairman, as I don't think the President should be the chairman of a party. Ideally, I think it would be even better if a party chairman were not a candidate for president, but until we get more people here, that is something that I think we will have to accept. Otherwise I have no objection and support Mr. Phil and Mr. Jake for re-election.

I will be stepping aside if I am the nominee from the time of my nomination to the day after the election. If I am elected, I will officially resign the ACA Chair position.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2005, 06:37:40 PM »

can i have the floor
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2005, 06:39:10 PM »

You don't need to ask for the floor unless someone is delivering an address.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2005, 06:46:30 PM »

i would like to say something, i think we all need to work for bipartisanship so we can lead this great nation into a new golden age and keystonephil is the man to do it   
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2005, 10:14:57 PM »

Aye on the re-election of Jake.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2005, 10:18:30 PM »

Aye
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2005, 10:21:58 PM »

Aye.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2005, 10:32:17 PM »

I have yet to hear a reason to object to either the Chair or Deputy Chair, so I vote aye.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2005, 10:43:20 PM »

I have yet to hear a reason to object to either the Chair or Deputy Chair, so I vote aye.

Technically, a reason isn't needed.  It was an objection to a unanimous consent request.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2005, 10:47:42 PM »

So since there was one objection, does that mean it is pointless for everyone else voting aye?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2005, 10:50:42 PM »

So since there was one objection, does that mean it is pointless for everyone else voting aye?

There is a vote before the convention. While we don't need to vote Aye since there's only been one objection, we shouldn't take the risk of leaving this here. Get your votes in. Who knows if some anti-Jake voters could come in, vote and then have the vote closed with a Jake loss. I don't want to see that happen.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2005, 10:54:09 PM »

I would also like to make a note to the convention that since the platform hasn't even been introduced yet, we will need to push back some things. Here's the Day 2 schedule (subject to change, like everything else)

Day 2

- Presentation of platform
- Debate and vote on platform
- Speeches (including Keynote address)
- Vote for ACA Presidential nominee

Tomorrow will be, by far, our busiest day. Let's make the best of it.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2005, 10:59:21 PM »

I would like to note that the ACA message board is down.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2005, 07:04:01 AM »
« Edited: May 21, 2005, 06:38:58 PM by Jake »

I'll vote Aye on my re-election as deputy chairman.

And what we all have been waiting for is finally here. I, Senator PBrunsel, and Governor Dubya are proud to unveil the new Atlas Conservative Alliance platform.

(drumroll)

Atlas Conservative Alliance Platform
[/size]

Introduction

The ideals of conservatism can be broken down to three simple ideas - hope, freedom, and justice. We hope by writing this manifesto to give the reader an in depth look into what drives us as a party. Some say a conservative philosophy is dead in Atlasia, we say just take a look at this platform. Take a look at the ideas expressed. Conservatism is vibrant and growing towards a new future in this Republic. 

The Atlasian Conservative Alliance supports the Constitution, the rule of law, and regional rights under the Constitution. We also believe in the philosophy that "The best government is the least government."

Foreign Policy

Policy towards China - The ACA believes that the power of democracy and free elections can reshape a nation’s path in the world. Nowhere is this possible more than in East Asia. In China, the people call out for reform, an end to communism, and more free economic practices. The ACA believes that for freedom to come to all of East Asia, democracy must first come. Our policy towards China should be two fold. First, encourage the liberalization of Chinese economic practices. For China to become free, a free market must be established. The second step is to support democratic movements in China. Over the course of this world’s history, we see countless examples of peoples rising up to rid themselves of their masters. From the foundings of the French Republic, to the reunification of Germany, to the end of the Soviet Union, to the British withdrawal from India. In all those cases, freedom came on the people’s backs, but was inspired by an outside model. That should be our goal.

Iraq - The ACA firmly believes that the intervention in Iraq was a positive move for Middle Eastern Democracy. We believe that Saddam Hussein was a threat to the world with the capabilities to create Weapons of Mass Destruction. He was also a brutal murderer who harbored terrorists and gassed his own people. The world is safer not that Saddam Hussein sits in a cell and not in a palace in Baghdad. We stand by our troops and applaud their sacrifice top bring stability to an unstable land. We favor continued funding for the troops in Iraq and continued persistence until a new democracy can be fully established and secured.

The United Nations - The ACA shuns the Anan Administration’s involvement in the oil for food scandal. We oppose any attempts by the United Nations to hinder Atlasian interests in the world. Although we oppose any withdrawal from the United Nations, we insist more power in the United Nations Defense Council and Atlasian membership in the United Nations Human Rights Council. We shun the United Nation’s acceptance of Cuba, Saudi Arabia, and Zimbabwe into the United Nations Human Rights Council. We also urge the election of an Atlasian to the position of Secretary General.

European Union Relations - The ACA firmly believes Europe is an ally. We have continued and will continue to work close with the nations in the European Union. We also believe that Europe is a firm ally in the War on Terror. We do shun European resistance to our Democratic Crusade in Iraq. We wish to once again extend to Europe in brotherly love another declaration to join us in Iraq and be rewarded by seeing a stable nation in the troubled Middle East.

Economic Policy

Free Trade - The ACA believes in the freedom of an open market, where people are free to buy, sell, and trade without the limits that tariffs and other barriers put in front of commerce. At the same time, we realize that these same tariffs and barriers provide help to those American markets that are struggling against the competition from foreign markets that often provide the same service while making a greater profit. As a party, it will be our mission to expand the opportunities for free trade and commerce whenever possible, though we will not support these policies if they prove to be a danger to Atlasia’s economic well being.

Taxation - The ACA believes that government should set tax rates at the lowest possible levels needed to fulfill their basic responsibilities to the Atlasian people. The ACA supports the current rates of taxation and will oppose any unnecessary increase in taxation. We also support the continued exploration of alternate tax methods such as a flat tax or national sales tax.
Wages - The ACA fully supports an open and competitive wage market where employers must compete for the best workers by providing the best possible wages. At the same time, we realize that there must be a safety net for those working low salaried jobs. To this end, we support the Fair Wage Act’s provisions. We will oppose a further increase in the minimum wage until the effects of the latest increase are studied.

Farm Subsidies - The ACA supports the end to farming subsidies and the removal of government involvement in this sector of the economy.

Energy - The ACA realizes that the looming energy crisis is one of the worst problems in Atlasia’s future. We also recognize that our current dependency on foreign oil is dangerous due to inherent problems of acquiring fuel from often unstable nations. To this end, the ACA proposes basing our energy policy on three ideas. First, we will support the expansion of Atlasian nuclear power plants. Nuclear power is one of the cleanest and best sources of power available to Atlasia and also one of the safest. Second, we support the further research into the development of hydrogen fuel. Third, we support the expansion of Atlasian public transportation, especially into the suburban areas of our nation.

Budget - The ACA approves of the attempts of the Senate to draft and approve a budget. We also support the Senate’s attempts to cut the more superfluous programs in the federal budget. The ACA realizes that much of the federal budget is tied up in spending on social services or the military and recognizes that agreeing on which programs to cut is a difficult process. Realizing those things, the ACA believes that the Senate should end the increase of spending on new projects until budget is balanced and the ACA resolves to oppose any future budget that increases spending.

Social Services - The ACA recognizes that many of our citizens do not have the money to provide for themselves and their family. In these cases, we support providing economic assistance to these families through the welfare system. At the same time, we oppose the extension of benefits to those in our society that leach off of the welfare system, while doing nothing to support our economy. The ACA supports the Welfare Reform Bill passed last year and would support further regulations on how welfare is doled out. The ACA also believes that under a free market system the economy always has more growth, competition, and less bureaucratic red tape. To that end, we support the elimination of government subsidized health care for all but the neediest families and would support attempts to privatize Atlasia’s health care system.

Education - The ACA believes one of the most important things our society can achieve is to educate every child that desires to learn. As a party, we support the continued investment in and operation of our public schools and universities. We also recognize that in some areas of our nation, children are not receiving the quality of education that we expect as taxpayers. We realize education reform is sorely needed. To that end, we support removing many of the federal requirements on how schools and regions spend federal tax money given to them. We support directly providing funds for education to each school district and placing the responsibilities for how to spend that money on the local school boards. We also support the full repeal of the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001. 

Social Policy

Gun Rights - The Atlasian Conservative Alliance does not support any restriction on law abiding citizens owning firearms.  However, we do support stricter penalties for criminals who commit crimes with guns, and background checks to help make sure that guns don't end up in the wrong hands.

Abortion - Morally, we are opposed to the practice of abortion.  However, we understand the situation surrounding this issue and do not want to force women into dangerous back-alley abortions.  Therefore, we support the banning of abortions after the first trimester, and the current ban on partial birth abortion. We also oppose any steps taken by the federal government to regulate abortion as we believe it is a regional issue.

Crime - We believe criminals belong behind bars.  We support stiffer penalties for criminals, longer automatic sentences for violent crimes, and the elimination of bail except for menial crimes.

War on Troll - We support legislation that would make those suspected of trolling, or voter fraud, face a suit before the Supreme Court, and based on the court's ruling, a permanent ban from the fantasy forum.

Sex Education - We support abstinence education being taught in the public school system. We believe it is not the government’s place to teach students anything more about sex than what the consequences of their actions would be if they engaged in risky behavior.

Gay Marriage - The ACA believe that gay marriage, along with the host of problems and issues that surround it, is a regional issue. We support the federal amendment to give power over marriage to the regions.

I now open debate on the platform.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2005, 09:31:40 AM »

I would like to note that the ACA message board is down.

The problem has been noticed and addressed the webmaster. If problems continue, we'll look to other sources for a website/forum.

In other news, Jake has been re-elected as Deputy Chair. With no objections towards my service as Chairman, I have been re-elected also.

Our platform has been introduced. Once again, we are short on time. I will allow debate until 6 PM EST on our platform. When debate ends, a vote will be opened.

After the vote, we will go into debate concerning our nominee for President and shortly afterwards, a vote. I will explain the exact procedure concerning voting at that time.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2005, 09:40:14 AM »

Schedule for the Day (or how I'd like it to go)

Now - 6 PM - Debate on platform

6 PM  - 9 PM  -  Vote on platform

9:30 PM - 11:30 PM - Debate on Presidential nominee

11:30 PM - 2:30 AM - Vote on Presidential nominee

***It is asked that speeches be given during debating time. That include unofficial, official and Keynote speeches.***

Also, I will not be available from 6:30 - 11:00 PM. I ask that Jake, our Deputy Chair, take on the duties of Chairman during that time (that includes closing and opening debates/votes). I will take over again at 11:00.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies