ACA Convention - Tampa, FL
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:19:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  ACA Convention - Tampa, FL
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: ACA Convention - Tampa, FL  (Read 8079 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2005, 09:43:44 AM »

I move to insert the following paragraph after the first paragraph:

The Atlasian Conservative Alliance supports the Constitution, the rule of law, and regional rights under the Constitution. We also believe in the philosophy that "The best government is the least government." 

I ask unanious consent for the amendments adoption.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2005, 09:49:29 AM »

The Atlasian Conservative Alliance supports the Constitution, the rule of law, and regional rights under the Constitution. We also believe in the philosophy that "The best government is the least government." 

Please remember that we now need to allow time for these things otherwise it will be unfair to those delegates not available at this time. I will allow two hours for objections. If there are no objections, this paragraph will be inserted into our platform after the first paragraph.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2005, 09:56:31 AM »

Please remember that we now need to allow time for these things otherwise it will be unfair to those delegates not available at this time. I will allow two hours for objections. If there are no objections, this paragraph will be inserted into our platform after the first paragraph.

I do understand, as per the election of the vice chairman. 

MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2005, 11:20:13 AM »

I agree with this, it should be added!

My speech will be coming soon on time between 12 and 1 pm. Stay tuned.
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 5.74

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2005, 11:45:02 AM »

The platform is a masterpiece.

I call for unanimous consent of this grand synopsis of our morals, values and beliefs.

Smiley
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2005, 11:59:26 AM »

[Lt. Gov. J. J. (Northeast) hobbles to the stage]

Keynote Address

Delegates of the Atlasian Conservative Union, I thank you the opportunity to address you here today.  We are conservative party, small “C,” of the Republic of Atlasia, but we speak to many of the values of the citizens of Atlasia, left, right, and center.

Our main value is freedom, the freedom of each of us to govern our own lives as citizens as much as possible.  We believe that as many of theses decisions can and should be made at the local regional level.  We also believe that, as a mirror to this freedom, that the national government protects the rights of all citizens and does so through the judicial branch of government.
This is best expressed by the axiom,  “The best government is the least government.”  I should add to this that the best ”least” government that is closest to the citizens.

The role of the regions is many and manifold.  One of these roles should be the role of regions to regulate marriages for its own purposes.  Another is to protect themselves and their citizens from intrusions on their liberty by a tyrannical enemy, either foreign or domestic.  It is for this reason that a strong National Guard is needed and needs to be supported.  It is also for this reason that citizens have a right to keep and bear arms, for the defense of themselves, their region, and their nation.

It has been said that, “Scratch a conservative, and you find someone who prefers the past to the present.”  We can never be those kind of conservatives.  We must look to the future and explore relations with other nations. 

We also must look to like minded individuals beyond our party boundaries.  Now is the time to reach out to others to form alliances, both in electoral terms and in terms of policy, and work to achieve our mutual goal of preserving freedom.  It is exceptionally gratifying to see MHS2002 as a candidate for the vice presidential nomination of our party.

We must also look to encouraging new party members, both the newly registered and converts to the conservative cause.  I am very happy to see Mr. Meyers run for the Senate.

I feel certain that with new members and this outreach, we can put conservatives, both large and small “C,” into office this year.

On a more personal note, I note some speculation that I might be a candidate for some higher office.  So I say today, I choose not to run.  If nominated for these posts, I will not run.  If elected, I will not serve.   

While I am, and have been, aware of Governor Andrew’s decision not to seek re-election for several days, I specifically will not seek, or serve in, that office.  Further, I will not accept re-appointment as Lieutenant Governor at the end of the term, under a future administration, even an ACA one. 

Thank you.

[Lt. Gov. J. J. hobbles from the podium.]

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2005, 12:07:09 PM »

While I am disappointed to see that you are not running, your speech was excellent, J.J. While you will not seek any office now (or maybe ever) I think I speak for everyone when I say that your participation in Atlasia is for the better.
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2005, 12:10:17 PM »

JJ - Congratulations on a motivational speech. Smiley

While I am new, I can tell that you have had great effects on the ACA and on Atlasia.

Thank you Smiley
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2005, 12:10:29 PM »

Parliamentary Inquiry, Mr. Chairman.  May delegates change their votes on the balloting for the nominee?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2005, 12:16:17 PM »

Parliamentary Inquiry, Mr. Chairman.  May delegates change their votes on the balloting for the nominee?

I will open the vote and delegates will cast their ballots without editing their ballot. After the vote is over, I will ask if anyone wishes to change their vote. They will be given a half hour to change their vote. If someone casts a ballot and wishes to change their vote but will not be available after the vote closes, they must notify me at the convention.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2005, 12:18:37 PM »

I will open the vote and delegates will cast their ballots without editing their ballot. After the vote is over, I will ask if anyone wishes to change their vote. They will be given a half hour to change their vote. If someone casts a ballot and wishes to change their vote but will not be available after the vote closes, they must notify me at the convention.

Mr. Chairman, some of us were elected based on supporting a certain candidate, is it required that the delegate vote for that candidate.  Is it permissible to vote for another?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2005, 12:20:12 PM »

Mr. Chairman, some of us were elected based on supporting a certain candidate, is it required that the delegate vote for that candidate.  Is it permissible to vote for another?

The Primary votes are carried over. That is it. Your vote in the Primary has no relation to how you want to vote at the convention.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2005, 12:24:14 PM »
« Edited: May 21, 2005, 12:27:01 PM by Senator MasterJedi »

Well here we go again:

Another Address

The ACA is a rather new party in Atlasian Politics but we have a bright future ahead of us. We have Senators running for re-election all across Atlasia and new faces trying to attain office themselves.

Let’s turn out eyes to the Southeast where our newest member BenMeyers is running against Sam Spade. He is also in a tough fight to get into an office. Sam Spade is respected but BenMeyers does stand a chance. He’s more moderate but that should resonate with some members of the Southeast. And if by chance he does lose there is also the Governorship or the District Senate seat that he could try to reach sometime in the future. He’ll also get his name out and be more respected for it.

I’ll also briefly mention that Keystone Phil and I are also in positions to advance throughout Atlasia under the banner of the ACA but I won’t dwell on that, I’m supposed to be speaking about the future. For the future we need new members, we need to try to sweep the forums for other people to come and make this game an even greater experience. Real life and off the web is an area where the ACA can get members from the real Republican Party.

Before I finish I must also say that the ACA should also try to help other conservatives though they may be in other parties if we aren’t running anyone ourselves. FuturePrez-R AZ and ColinWixted are examples of this as well as people that aren’t running such as VP Candidate MHS2002. Just because they aren’t in our party doesn’t mean we should abandon our fellow conservatives! MHS2002 seems to have a great future ahead of him and the ACA should help him along. He could be a future Senator of Governor for all we know.

Whether we win or lose in this upcoming election the ACA and conservatism shall live on and we shall never be completely defeated. We shall always rise again and stronger than before. The future of the ACA is bright and all you have to do is reach out and take it. Reach out and grab destiny and make it your own!
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2005, 12:25:16 PM »
« Edited: May 21, 2005, 12:28:11 PM by Senator PBrunsel »

I'll make my address before we nominate the candidate for President seeing that I am the only Republican to reach the Presidency.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2005, 12:30:18 PM »

The Primary votes are carried over. That is it. Your vote in the Primary has no relation to how you want to vote at the convention.

Thank you!
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2005, 01:10:47 PM »

My speech will be, with luck, shortly.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2005, 02:39:53 PM »

Senator DanielX comes to the platform, dressed in an unusually serious, formal attire, unlike his normal clownish appearance.)

Good afternoon, Mr. Chairman, fellow members of the Atlas Conservative Alliance, and people of this great Republic of Atlasia.

Normally, my speeches are humorous; I often like to make people smile and laugh as I present the issues. But today, I am going to be grave and serious, for today I am going to speak of two great crises that face Atlasia. And no, I am not speaking about Mike Naso and BRTD! (laughs from audience) That will be my last funny moment in this speech. The two crises i speak of are demons that can and might still cause grievous harm to this Republic.

The first demon is one that all of us can agree as to its trouble: terror. Fascist thugs, together with their close cousins the dictators, threaten not only Atlasia but every free person on this Earth. They have many names and faces, be it Al-Qaeda or Hizbollah, Iran or North Korea, Syria or even Zimbabwe. Yet they share a common goal: To bring their particular ideology - be it an extremist form of Islam or Communism or Fascism or a new form of totalitarianism - to power, to bring fear into the hearts of  people. Some only do this to their own citizens; others do it to other nations. Atlasia must be wary, to stop these mad groups and the madmen who lead them, through diplomacy if we can, and force if we must.

The second demon is not evil per se; it is merely the road to hell - paved with good intentions. It is the idea that government must solve every problem with direct action, through force and redistribution. The intentions are good, but they lead to trouble. Economic limitation - be it through forced redistribution of wealth, price controls, excessive government spending - such attempts to control an economy only lead to stagnation and decay, of economic decline, as business flees. Social limitation can be even worse - for that is the very road tread by totalitarian ideologues elsewhere. This demon is well intentioned - it has good reasons for what it does: the poor are starving, the terrorists plan to strike, some people are mistreating their children. And yet, if this line of thinking goes too far, it can become a demon indeed. Overcentralization has killed civilizations, caused once-great nations to be turned to evil, and brought bustling economies to ruin. This must not happen here.

These two demons must be faced by the next President and Vice President. I have every confidence that former Vice President Keystone Phil and Attorney General MHS2002 can deal with these grave threats - that they will fight the legions of terror abroad, and allow Atlasians to be free at home. May God, Dave, or whatever deity that may be out there give them, or whoever may reach the Oval Office, the strength to do this, and continue to bless the Republic of Atlasia.

(Incidentally, I just watched Star Wars: Episode III. The grave tone of that is one reason my current tone is grave. The other is that, well, these are serious issues.)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2005, 03:09:07 PM »

Very good speech.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2005, 05:07:59 PM »

My apologies. I was at mass in one of Tampa's fine Catholic churches and didn't get here on time to close debate/open the vote so I'll officially do that now.

Debate has ended on the platform. We will now vote. All in favor of the platform, vote aye. All opposed to the platform, vote nay.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2005, 05:10:14 PM »

Enthusiastic AYE!
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2005, 05:26:08 PM »

AYE
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2005, 05:26:35 PM »

Aye
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2005, 05:30:34 PM »

At this time, I'd like to turn over the power of ACA Chairman to Jake. He will be our Acting Chair from now until 11:30 PM EST
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2005, 05:32:06 PM »

Aye
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States