Pentagon Opens All Combat Positions to Women
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:13:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Pentagon Opens All Combat Positions to Women
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Pentagon Opens All Combat Positions to Women  (Read 2055 times)
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2015, 12:21:04 PM »

This is long overdue. Given the fact that robotics and advanced technology is making gender irrelevant to fighting wars.
No it's not.  The idea that we'll ever get rid of the need for boots on the ground is one that keeps recurring and keeps getting refuted.  There are, and likely will always be some military tasks that require pure physical strength.  The basic physiological differences between the genders ensure that there will be some tasks in which the proportion of personnel capable of doing them will skew towards males.  Even when technology causes the level of strength required to do certain tasks to decrease, it makes available new capabilities that previously were impossible to now be done by those at the highest level of physical strength.

That said, as long as they don't weaken the standards to promote gender equality in all military specialties, I have no problem with ending de jure restrictions.  Just don't expect there to not remain MOSes in which there are de facto restrictions.

To be honest I think the military will figure it out. And to be equally honest I think that we overestimate strength at a time when drones operated from bases thousands of miles away kill enemies with precision. I do honestly believe that strength is one prerequisite but it isn't as fundamental as it used to be.  Women can do a lot and I think as another poster said women are being give equality of opportunity, not the job itself.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2015, 10:13:54 AM »

I have no faith in the military brass to get his done right........

As I don't much about how the military operates, I don't really understand what you mean by this. Do you (or someone else who might understand) mind elaborating?

I think they're going to relax standards in some areas and say they didn't.  Then get caught.  I think they'll look for ways to make sure very few, if any women, make it through special forces training.  Then get caught.

The military brass (not the troops) is a good ole boys world that DOES. NOT. WANT. THIS.   But it's stuck with it.

And forget the article where it says all the Joint Chief's are on board.......the Marines were the only ones honest enough to say it's not a good idea.   They all believe it.

IMO
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2015, 11:07:12 AM »

As I don't much about how the military operates, I don't really understand what you mean by this. Do you (or someone else who might understand) mind elaborating?

I think they're going to relax standards in some areas and say they didn't.  Then get caught.  I think they'll look for ways to make sure very few, if any women, make it through special forces training.  Then get caught.

The military brass (not the troops) is a good ole boys world that DOES. NOT. WANT. THIS.   But it's stuck with it.

And forget the article where it says all the Joint Chief's are on board.......the Marines were the only ones honest enough to say it's not a good idea.   They all believe it.

IMO
Your sexism is on another level.... 
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2015, 11:16:26 AM »

IMO

Just a reality check.  You'll see I"m right.  I have no problem with women serving in all roles.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2015, 05:23:50 PM »

IMO

NOw I'm just a foreigner, those primary language is not English, but I think this line from grumps:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

...say that the common troops don't have anything against letting women serve, but the reactionary old men in charge are the ones having a problem with women serving in combat.

So I think it's a very insulting to call him sexist based on what he wrote in comment you quoted.

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2015, 08:26:36 PM »

IMO

NOw I'm just a foreigner, those primary language is not English, but I think this line from grumps:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

...say that the common troops don't have anything against letting women serve, but the reactionary old men in charge are the ones having a problem with women serving in combat.

So I think it's a very insulting to call him sexist based on what he wrote in comment you quoted.

Thanks but he only read what he wanted to.   Yes until the joint chiefs, secretaries of the services, and 4 stars are predominantly women, it's old men I'm criticizing. 
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies