Which law enforcement agencies do you trust?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:45:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Which law enforcement agencies do you trust?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Well?
Feds - Trust

Feds - Don't Trust

State - Trust

State - Don't Trust

Local - Trust

Local - Don't Trust

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 63

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Which law enforcement agencies do you trust?  (Read 2362 times)
traininthedistance
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2015, 05:08:10 PM »

Trust. Reality dictates it. Bluntly put, I have worked professionally with 100x as many cops as the rest of the Forum combined, and with 100x closer contact than the victims of traffic stops and the occassional uncle/friend of the family who is a cop, including during several years i was a defense attorney.

Are all cops trustworthy? of course not, and i've both prosecuted and represented cops (former and current). There are litterally hundreds of thousands of law enforcement in the country, so there are bound to be bad people. But they are statistically very rare.

The worst problem some individual cops have isn't overzealousness, or overly testosterone-fueled actions. There are a small minority of cops who are guilty of laziness and not following up. The end result is much MUCH more likely to result in the guilty going free rather than then innocent being convicted.

FTR, i can't swear there aren't ANY jurisdictions in the country which are an exception, but having worked with many departments of varying sizes, cops having a "ticket quota" is a total myth.

I guess this is just nine "bad apples", then.  Roll Eyes  And in liberal bastion San Francisco, no less!  This isn't something you can merely chalk up to ambient racism like the Dothan incident.

(FTR: My SO works in a prosecutor's office.  Her opinion of prosecutors has gone up massively as a result of this experience.  Her opinion of cops... has not.  Fun fact: apparently they will reject you for the force if you score too highly on the exam.  Don't want the enforcers too smart, I guess.)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2015, 09:15:24 PM »

How about this: who do you trust more, tiny local Hick police or the huge forces in the cities like the NYPD?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2015, 01:01:11 AM »

Fun fact: apparently they will reject you for the force if you score too highly on the exam.  Don't want the enforcers too smart, I guess.)
This happened once, and the excuse they gave is that smart cops would get bored and quit and they would have wasted money training him/her.  I don't know if that holds water, but the courts think so.  It's certainly not common practice for local departments to not hire a person that is too smart.

As for the OP, I would trust a random cop (local, state or fed) slightly more than I'd trust a random non-cop.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2015, 02:54:57 AM »

Fun fact: apparently they will reject you for the force if you score too highly on the exam.  Don't want the enforcers too smart, I guess.)
This happened once, and the excuse they gave is that smart cops would get bored and quit and they would have wasted money training him/her.  I don't know if that holds water, but the courts think so.  It's certainly not common practice for local departments to not hire a person that is too smart.

As for the OP, I would trust a random cop (local, state or fed) slightly more than I'd trust a random non-cop.

This nugget has some truth to it.    The phys test is actually a IQ test (though the mental part is just a 10 min interview).   The rumor/theories is that a high IQ cop will over think things to his or others detriment.   Not to say that they want dumb cops as it is even worse (see incidents like Charleston).   

If I have seen and heard of a few people failing the phys test after scoring too high.   Of course they don't flat out tell you that but instead come up with something like you failed the polygraph or something in your background etc. 
Sasquatch

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -8.52

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2015, 08:56:30 AM »

I don't trust any of them.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2015, 11:56:29 AM »

I generally trust the Austrian police - they are people like you and me.

Much like 85% of the population trusts them, according to the latest poll.

But we don't have the problems you have (reckless & murderous police officers, psycho killers, a stressed out PTSD-infested society due to constant wars and easy access to weapons of mass destruction which leads to daily mass shootings, race riots, etc.), so it's much easier to trust them.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2015, 12:57:00 AM »

The feds have absolutely no respect for the 4th amendment, but I suppose the local law enforcement issues manage to be even worse.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2015, 01:57:07 AM »

I generally trust the Austrian police - they are people like you and me.

Much like 85% of the population trusts them, according to the latest poll.

But we don't have the problems you have (reckless & murderous police officers, psycho killers, a stressed out PTSD-infested society due to constant wars and easy access to weapons of mass destruction which leads to daily mass shootings, race riots, etc.), so it's much easier to trust them.

Well...
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies