Multiple Victims Reported Shot In San Bernardino
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:39:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Multiple Victims Reported Shot In San Bernardino
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]
Author Topic: Multiple Victims Reported Shot In San Bernardino  (Read 21924 times)
ingemann
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: December 04, 2015, 01:42:24 PM »

All we know for sure is that the circumstances of this shooting are far too muddy to know which side's narrative won, although it appears to be leaning in favor of the Right.
How so? The whole ISIS did it theory is not holding water and the target of the shooter suggests this was more about an issue at work than anything else.

The shooters' names were Syed Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik.  Any other details are irrelevant.

Names are not my point, what I was saying is that the assertion that this was an ISIS attack is unfounded at this point. I'm not going to argue about it, so we will agree to disagree before this gets out of control.

I know it's unfounded.  The point is that the Right has basically won this shooting, simply by virtue of the shooters' identities.  Their actual beliefs and motives are irrelevant beyond that.

Nobody won this shooting. But if you're talking about the debate, yes the Right won, but they didn't win it because they were Muslims, or because whether they were radicalised or not, or whether it was work place violence (I'm sure a lot of people have homemade bombs lying in the basement, they can use in a moment of rage).

No the reason they won the debate here on uselectionatlas, was because the "Left" (I personal do not find being pro-gun control to be left, I just find it sane) took the low road from the start, only to find their point undercut by the fact that this wasn't a WASP gun nut, of course you people haven't helped by keep digging, the moral high point is lost, and the smart thing to do would be to let the other side talk until someone said something disgusting enough, that you could hope to take the moral high ground again, but instead you keep digging and digging.

When the last Paris terror attack happened, I was shocked and was 90+% sure Muslim terrorist was behind it, but I didn't start moronic attacks on Muslims, instead I suggested we waited with that discussion, until there was more facts on the ground (post below), because I remembered Breivik.

There's little to say by this point other than we can only hope it's over, and let's wait until we have more clear details to discuss who have done it.

So RIP to the victims and my thoughts goes out to their families.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #176 on: December 04, 2015, 01:42:53 PM »

NBC is doing a Geraldo Rivera style "Break into the shooter's house and rummage through his stuff" live report. It's amazingly gross.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #177 on: December 04, 2015, 02:04:59 PM »

http://www.timesofisrael.com/jewish-victim-of-california-attack-had-argued-with-shooter-about-islam/

Farook had recently gotten into an argument with his coworker Nicholas Thalasinos about whether or not Islam is a religion of peace.  Thalasinos was killed in the attack on Wednesday...

He sure showed him

That is pretty funny in a morbid way.

This shooting is starting to make sense now. I wonder if they were supposed to attack another target but in a fit of rage shot up this office party first. In which case I wonder what the target was.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #178 on: December 04, 2015, 02:08:41 PM »

Is this now the watershed "homegrown Islamic terrorist" incident?

Probably. Not that this is any worse than terrorism inspired by white supremacist ideology but everyone is going to care way more about this. Hmm I wonder why.
MisSkeptic
United States

« Reply #179 on: December 04, 2015, 02:53:40 PM »

http://www.timesofisrael.com/jewish-victim-of-california-attack-had-argued-with-shooter-about-islam/

Farook had recently gotten into an argument with his coworker Nicholas Thalasinos about whether or not Islam is a religion of peace.  Thalasinos was killed in the attack on Wednesday...

He sure showed him

This shooting is starting to make sense now. I wonder if they were supposed to attack another target but in a fit of rage shot up this office party first. In which case I wonder what the target was.

That's a good question. Where there any popular designations or government buildings nearby the crime scene?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #180 on: December 04, 2015, 03:42:09 PM »

He sure showed him

Here's an idea: the two participated in the same act for different reasons - she was just "out for jihad" (or whatever) in whatever form it took, while he was looking to kill coworkers, and so they came to a middle ground.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #181 on: December 04, 2015, 03:46:19 PM »

All we know for sure is that the circumstances of this shooting are far too muddy to know which side's narrative won, although it appears to be leaning in favor of the Right.

I hate that this is what shootings are, now.

I know, me too, but you'll get used to it.
Roll Eyes

Excellent point, as usual.  Oh well, see you at the next mass shooting thread!  Remember to bring your best talking points with you next time.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #182 on: December 04, 2015, 05:55:21 PM »

Nobody won this shooting. But if you're talking about the debate, yes the Right won, but they didn't win it because they were Muslims, or because whether they were radicalised or not, or whether it was work place violence (I'm sure a lot of people have homemade bombs lying in the basement, they can use in a moment of rage).

No the reason they won the debate here on uselectionatlas, was because the "Left" (I personal do not find being pro-gun control to be left, I just find it sane) took the low road from the start, only to find their point undercut by the fact that this wasn't a WASP gun nut, of course you people haven't helped by keep digging, the moral high point is lost, and the smart thing to do would be to let the other side talk until someone said something disgusting enough, that you could hope to take the moral high ground again, but instead you keep digging and digging.

When the last Paris terror attack happened, I was shocked and was 90+% sure Muslim terrorist was behind it, but I didn't start moronic attacks on Muslims, instead I suggested we waited with that discussion, until there was more facts on the ground (post below), because I remembered Breivik.

Very well said. There are evil terrorists of all ideologies and colors. Whenever any side jumps to stupid conclusions for political reasons, they cheapen the actual tragedy.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #183 on: December 04, 2015, 06:15:14 PM »

The tragedies are already pretty cheap though.  They happen every day.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #184 on: December 05, 2015, 12:11:32 AM »

I hate that this is what shootings are, now.

I know, me too, but you'll get used to it.
Roll Eyes

Excellent point, as usual.  Oh well, see you at the next mass shooting thread!  Remember to bring your best talking points with you next time.
We know you will.  Try better jokes next time though, this current set is getting a little tired.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #185 on: December 05, 2015, 12:19:47 AM »

As I've told you each and every time you failed to get it before, the 'jokes' (I'm flattered you could even call them that) wouldn't be necessary if we didn't have this ludicrous stalemate in the first place.  But here we are.  Your side won't give an inch; another shooting will occur in the next few days; what else is left but to see the macabre humor in it?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #186 on: December 05, 2015, 12:37:42 AM »

My side has won, why should we give an inch?  More people can own guns, more people can carry guns and crime is down.  Plus, this is an easy issue to debate.  Your side is all emotion and doesn't really understand the topic.  It makes it frustrating sometimes, sure, but easy.

And most of us on this side are willing to give an inch.  I believe most of us are not against 100% background checks.  Most of us want to make sure crazy Bob can't get a Glock at the next gun show.  I know the gun control nuts want to get rid of guns even on days where a mass shooting doesn't happen (and they are not happening "exponentially more often", I've been meaning to make fun of you for that...seriously, you said "exponentially"....wtf?), but you guys generally only want to talk about it after one.  Again, emotion.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #187 on: December 05, 2015, 01:20:45 AM »
« Edited: December 05, 2015, 04:29:24 AM by Joe Republic »

My side has won, why should we give an inch?

BECAUSE THIS IS THE ONLY COUNTRY WHERE MASS SHOOTINGS BY CRAZY PEOPLE KEEP HAPPENING OVER AND OVER AGAIN EVERY FEW DAYS.  THAT'S WHAT YOUR SIDE "WINNING" MEANS.

Sorry, did I get a little too emotional for you?  That tends to happen when humans have to explain basic things to brick walls.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #188 on: December 05, 2015, 03:32:09 AM »

Both sides are purely based on emotion of course. Occasionally a few facts will be squeezed out, which - oh so conveniently - will match the speaker's pre-existing and emotional reaction to the idea of gun control. And there's nothing explicitly wrong with basing the foundation of an argument in emotion. (Indeed if anybody claims their political views aren't based around emotion I am immediately inclined to think they are a moron who doesn't understand their own brain)

I guess we have to work out which is a more pertinent emotional reaction: to feel disgust at the idea of so many innocents meeting wholly unnessessary deaths (which motivates gun controllers); or the opposing emotional reaction of viewing firearms as an integral aspect of your national and personal identity (which I understand is the key emotional argument from gun rights people).

Of course I suffer from a cultural divide, but I'm well versed in the politics of 'national identity' and its association with symbols (I.e. ulster - guns function in a similar psychological fashion as flegs do to an Orangeman).
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #189 on: December 05, 2015, 07:01:15 AM »

I guess we have to work out which is a more pertinent emotional reaction: to feel disgust at the idea of so many innocents meeting wholly unnessessary deaths (which motivates gun controllers); or the opposing emotional reaction of viewing firearms as an integral aspect of your national and personal identity (which I understand is the key emotional argument from gun rights people).
I still don't own a gun, haven't fired one in like 16 years.  They are not an integral part of my personal or national identity. 

BECAUSE THIS IS THE ONLY COUNTRY WHERE MASS SHOOTINGS BY CRAZY PEOPLE KEEP HAPPENING OVER AND OVER AGAIN EVERY FEW DAYS.
exponentially even!
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #190 on: December 05, 2015, 03:53:51 PM »

My side has won, why should we give an inch?  More people can own guns, more people can carry guns and crime is down.  Plus, this is an easy issue to debate.  Your side is all emotion and doesn't really understand the topic.  It makes it frustrating sometimes, sure, but easy.

And most of us on this side are willing to give an inch.  I believe most of us are not against 100% background checks.  Most of us want to make sure crazy Bob can't get a Glock at the next gun show.  I know the gun control nuts want to get rid of guns even on days where a mass shooting doesn't happen (and they are not happening "exponentially more often", I've been meaning to make fun of you for that...seriously, you said "exponentially"....wtf?), but you guys generally only want to talk about it after one.  Again, emotion.

Except you know good and well that congressional Republicans will draw a line in the sand on both of those extremely moderate reform proposals.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #191 on: December 05, 2015, 04:07:11 PM »
« Edited: December 05, 2015, 04:08:48 PM by Joe Republic »

BECAUSE THIS IS THE ONLY COUNTRY WHERE MASS SHOOTINGS BY CRAZY PEOPLE KEEP HAPPENING OVER AND OVER AGAIN EVERY FEW DAYS.
exponentially even!

The fact that you took a hyperbolic response to a troll literally tells me what caliber of intelligence I'm dealing with here.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #192 on: December 05, 2015, 04:42:17 PM »

exponentially even!

The fact that you took a hyperbolic response to a troll literally tells me what caliber of intelligence I'm dealing with here.

.22?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #193 on: December 05, 2015, 04:50:02 PM »

Please leave the witty interjections to Morden, Ernest.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #194 on: December 05, 2015, 06:18:31 PM »

Please leave the witty interjections to Morden, Ernest.

Shots fired.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #195 on: December 07, 2015, 01:10:12 PM »

The tragic-comical part with dead0man's sides victory, because they won here on atlas, was that the victory was given to them. I still don't get why the gun control side (okay I do, but it do not paint a flattering picture of that side), could mess up a terror attack where the terrorists attack primarily with weapons they had gotten legal. If you look at these terrorist and compare them with their European counterparts, you will see they was different, in Europe terrorist are usual connected with the criminal underworld, and that's not accidental, because if some average Muslim with no criminal record want a weapon in Europe, it's much harder to get, while criminals have the connections. So these kind of terrorists are usual discovered in Europe (Breivik being the great exceptions). But in USA these people don't need to have connections to the criminal underworld.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies