Does anyone here actually believe Jeb Bush has a shot at the nomination still?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:20:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Does anyone here actually believe Jeb Bush has a shot at the nomination still?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 102

Author Topic: Does anyone here actually believe Jeb Bush has a shot at the nomination still?  (Read 5598 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2015, 06:12:23 AM »

Mikado, we should note that the primary season starts later this year though. A month later than in 2012 for example.

Here is some perspective: this time before the primaries started in Iowa in 2012, Cain was leading. When Iowa happened he had already dropped out. Things can very much happen in these races and we have 2 months to go.

I don't think Bush is a very strong candidate, obviously. But we've seen winning establishment candidates start out fine, then dip down and look awful before coming back and actually win it. Like McCain in 2008 or Kerry in 2004.
Cruzcrew
Paleocon
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2015, 06:31:31 AM »

It's possible but really unlikely
heatmaster
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2015, 04:06:29 PM »

There's a greater chance now of a random cow tipping over somewhere in China than Bush becoming the GOP nominee.
Just heard it over the news wire, Reuters and A.P. are carrying it, apparently a cow tipped over somewhere in China😂 Some Jeb is now getting ready to make his triumphant March towards the nomination or coronation😊
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2015, 04:14:37 PM »

He will be the nominee.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2015, 04:24:29 PM »

It's possible, he hasn't reached the point of no return yet, but it seems unlikely
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2015, 04:54:02 PM »

Very slim, but I stand by my position that he and Kasich will drop out and back Rubio after New Hampshire. Both are patriots who want to save America from Donald Trump.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2015, 01:54:13 PM »

I've never sold Bush short on WINNING; Bushes are about Victory Uber Alles.  But today's CNN poll is pretty bad for Jeb.

Trump's at 36%, which could drop, but Jeb is at 3%.  I don't see, even with a great resume and narrative, how you move up from 3% to the nomination this late in the game.  Only Rubio and Cruz are gaining support (besides Trump).  I think the race is crystallizing somewhat.  Carson will lose support, but why will his supporters go to Jeb?
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2015, 02:20:35 PM »

I've never sold Bush short on WINNING; Bushes are about Victory Uber Alles.  But today's CNN poll is pretty bad for Jeb.

Trump's at 36%, which could drop, but Jeb is at 3%.  I don't see, even with a great resume and narrative, how you move up from 3% to the nomination this late in the game.  Only Rubio and Cruz are gaining support (besides Trump).  I think the race is crystallizing somewhat.  Carson will lose support, but why will his supporters go to Jeb?

I'm not saying Jeb will be nominated, but you do realize in December of 2003, John Kerry was at 4% right?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2015, 02:33:54 PM »

I'm not saying Jeb will be nominated, but you do realize in December of 2003, John Kerry was at 4% right?

Kerry's numbers were more solid in primary states. Right now, the main primary Jeb needs to win is New Hampshire - Jeb is at 5%, in 8th place of what is basically a 13 man field there. Iowa? just as bad.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2015, 02:52:41 PM »

I'd say he still has a shot. He's practically only fighting one person in the establishment camp. Of course right now I'd put my money on Rubio but who knows what might happen between now and the first primaries. If the guy does falter, who'll be there to make the case that he's the only electable candidate? Jeb!
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2015, 02:58:06 PM »

I'd say he still has a shot. He's practically only fighting one person in the establishment camp. Of course right now I'd put my money on Rubio but who knows what might happen between now and the first primaries. If the guy does falter, who'll be there to make the case that he's the only electable candidate? Jeb!

With Christie's rising numbers, that's no longer the case.
heatmaster
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2015, 03:24:26 PM »

[/quote]
History has a funny way of repeating itself, and in an inverted up side down kind of way as well.
Jeb is still in, because he knows something. You know how the CW was turned on its head, when the outsiders were not given that much of a chance, the insiders had it all sewn up right? It's happening the voters are in a cantankerous mood this cycle, when you believe...it's settled, it's gonna be Trump, because he's ahead in the polls, right?  Well the polling organization's are gonna be shafted. All the opinion makers are all complacent once again.  Trump is the guy. Not so fast, polls don't vote, people do and for that precise reason, do not buy into the polls. They have a funny way of being proven wrong, when those pesky voters mess it all up😉
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2015, 04:06:02 PM »

Jeb, like Trump, is a known quantity.  Unlike Trump, being a known quantity for Jeb is a liability.  And Bush Fatigue is both real and more of a right wing than left wing condition.  Kerry was nowhere near as loathed by his party's grassroots as Jeb is now.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2015, 04:06:22 PM »

Right now, Trump is getting some of tge Sanders white male voters that have fell off due to the detriment of his campaign. Those aren't Jeb voters. But, the longer the primary goes on is to Clintob's advantage.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2015, 05:06:46 PM »

Jeb, like Trump, is a known quantity.  Unlike Trump, being a known quantity for Jeb is a liability.  And Bush Fatigue is both real and more of a right wing than left wing condition.  Kerry was nowhere near as loathed by his party's grassroots as Jeb is now.

I think it's less Bush fatigue (they like George W.) more than the fact that Jeb Bush just stinks at running for President.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2015, 05:13:05 PM »

I think it's less Bush fatigue (they like George W.) more than the fact that Jeb Bush just stinks at running for President.

As much as it pains me to admit this, I have to agree. If Jeb Bush was good at debates, if he were a more charismatic public speaker, and if he looked more calm when interviewed, he would be the perfect candidate - he's qualified, he's smart, he's competent, and everyone knows it. But to date, he has been unable to defend himself from criticisms in an effective way.
wolfsblood07
United States

« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2015, 05:49:45 PM »

As much as it pains me to admit this, I have to agree. If Jeb Bush was good at debates, if he were a more charismatic public speaker, and if he looked more calm when interviewed, he would be the perfect candidate - he's qualified, he's smart, he's competent, and everyone knows it. But to date, he has been unable to defend himself from criticisms in an effective way.

The thing that's hurting Bush the most is that the conservative commentators (like Laura Ingraham) completely oppose him.  They treat him with more disdain than they do Hillary, Obama or Bernie Sanders.  It is amazing.  They have abandoned the Republican establishment.  They hate Rubio too.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2015, 05:52:30 PM »

The thing that's hurting Bush the most is that the conservative commentators (like Laura Ingraham) completely oppose him.  They treat him with more disdain than they do Hillary, Obama or Bernie Sanders.  It is amazing.  They have abandoned the Republican establishment.  They hate Rubio too.

I kind of doubt that. They hated Romney just as much. Jeb's main problem is that he is, well, "low energy" and sucks at debates. Don't forget that weak and dull debate performances took Walker from a top tier candidate to an asterisk. The only reason Jeb isn't an asterisk (yet) is because of Bush loyalists.
ViaActiva

« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2015, 01:53:23 PM »

This is painful to watch, get out now Jeb: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7NEshUeZyo
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2015, 02:27:19 PM »

Actually, he makes a lot of sense and the audience agreed.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2015, 03:31:46 PM »

Yes, but just barely. And it would necessarily involve the political equivalent of the baptism scene from The Godfather.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2015, 03:36:04 PM »

Trump clearly is weaker of the two, and Trump wont beat Clinton. He wont say this, but by staying in, he is demonstrating he still believes this.

Longer GOP primary goes, the better for Clinton.
mencken
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2015, 05:48:54 PM »

Yes, but just barely. And it would necessarily involve the political equivalent of the baptism scene from The Godfather.

I doubt that even the political equivalent would suffice.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2015, 05:56:32 PM »

I do. Hell, at this point any of them can come up with it. I've lived through enough elections (and I'm sure old farts like Grumps will agree), that you never know what will happen, especially this early.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies