Libertarian Convention
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:20:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Libertarian Convention
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Libertarian Convention  (Read 3632 times)
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2005, 03:48:04 PM »

Just FYI. I would like to seek the Libertarian Party nomination in the Northeast Senate race.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2005, 03:54:59 PM »

original: nay
John Dibble amendments: aye
Milk_and_Cereal amendments:aye
John Dibble to strike Iraq: aye
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2005, 06:49:57 PM »

original: nay
John Dibble amendments: aye
Milk_and_Cereal amendments:aye, though I may suggest improvments later on to the Homeland Security section
John Dibble to strike Iraq: aye
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2005, 06:15:11 AM »

Since all the Libertarians active in the convention have voted, I will give the rest 24 hours to show up and then close the vote.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2005, 03:30:20 PM »

Okay, this is now the official Libertarian Party Platform:

Atlas Forum Libertarian Party Platform

Abortion
The AFLP believes in a general reduction in the number of abortions.  Nevertheless, our party cannot intercede in the decision-making process between a woman, her doctor, her God, and her husband.

Same-Sex Marriage
The AFLP supports the Civil Unions Act and Marriage Equity Act, but doesn't believe the government should be involved in marriage.  We support civil unions for all couples.

Trolls
The AFLP does not support the banning of trolls except in the most extreme cases.  Extreme cases are defined as sexual or verbal harassment and threatening the use of force against another member.

The Size of our Army
Secretary of Defense Ford once asked for ten-fifteen billion dollars to fund an additional heavy division for the purpose of alleviating the strains of troop deployment to Iraq.  We support this return to a thirteen division army and would welcome further increases in troop numbers, within reason.

Taxes
The AFLP opposes any increases in taxation beyond the absolute minimum required to provide basic and necessary services.  We are dedicated to lowering taxes. We believe in a low tax rate that is adequate to cover emergency budget raises and a strong military.

The "War on Drugs"
We acknowledge that drugs can never be eradicated from our society. Instead, we will work to decriminalize marijuana. We do not support the decriminalization of harder drugs which significantly increase the risk of violent and other behaviors that may harm others.

Capital Punishment
The AFLP believes that capital punishment is a just punishment for those who commit the most heinous crimes.  We will work for legislation that reduces the number of executions by restricting the death penalty to cases where material evidence can be provided beyond a reasonable doubt.

Regional Government vs. Federal Government
The AFLP supports the policy of "Regional Rights".  We believe that most decisions should be made by the Regional legislatures and the Governors, not the Senate and the President.

Affirmative Action
We believe that government should not be involved in determining admission, hiring, or opportunity based on race, creed, color, sexual preference, or gender.

International Relations
The AFLP believes the United States should terminate membership in the United Nations.  It has shown itself to be an organization where extensive discussion takes place, but not much is really accomplished.  The UN has also proven to be the center of international controversy time and time again. 

We also support a massive cut in international aid and the use of that money to further balance our budget. We will work to withdraw from NATO, mainly because of its increasingly Eurocentric bent, and work toward the establishment of a new treaty organization which encompasses any nation which will work for the common defense of others. 

Most Favored Nation for China
We oppose granting Most Favored Nation (MFN) treatment to China until they can improve their atrocious human rights record.

Terrorism
The AFLP supports the general "War on Terrorism" in its various forms worldwide. Terrorism is a stain on society and is always an imminent threat to our security. We support working with our allies, when possible, to bring down this terrible threat and eliminate it from our world.

Homeland Security
The Atlas Libertarian Party favors strength in protecting it's borders from foreign invaders. However this job is for the Department of Defense, and we do not need a Homeland Security Department. Atlas Libertarians realize the importance of a peaceful, friendly foreign policy that does not create alliances. Having a foreign policy as such will deter Atlasia from going to unnecessary war.

Welfare
The AFLP opposes government welfare in all forms in favor of private charity. However, we realize that in this democratic society it is unlikely that all welfare will be eliminated. Therefore we believe that any welfare program must only provide what is necessary and nothing more - such programs can not be allowed to provide unnecessary luxuries. Programs like Medicare and Medicaid should only pay for medicines that are necessary to treat serious ailments.

Written by Jake, CheeseWhiz, John Dibble and Milk_and_cereal
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2005, 10:17:44 AM »
« Edited: June 01, 2005, 11:07:09 AM by Governor CheeseWhiz »

Okay, let’s approve some bylaws:

Duties of the National Chair
The duties of the National Chairman consist of opening and closing convention, endorsement votes, emergency meetings and anything else not specified to a certain post.

Duties of the Deputy Chair
The duties of the Deputy Chairman are to perform the duties of the National Chairman when he or she is unable or not present, for any reason, and in the event that the National Chairman resigns or is expelled, the Deputy Chair shall assume the position of the National Chair.

Duties of the Regional Chairmen
The duties of the Regional Chairmen shall be to recommend candidates for endorsement to the National body, specifically, the offices of Governor and Lieutenant Governor (if applicable.) They will also make recommendations on regional ballot initiatives (if any.)

Conventions
The Convention shall be held one month before every Federal election and will last two weeks unless a motion to extend the Convention is voted on and passes.  Members will elect a new National Chairman, Deputy Chairman and the Regional Chairmen; they will also vote on any revisions to the platform or bylaws.  Regional Chairmen shall be elected by the members in that specific Region only.  Only currently registered members shall be able to run for a Chairman position.

Endorsement Vote
Two weeks before an election the members shall vote on endorsements in each race.  A candidate must obtain over half the vote in order to receive the endorsement.  If, after the endorsement vote, another candidate enters the race, there must be a motion made by a member, and seconded, to have another endorsement vote.  If another member of the AFLP enters, another endorsement vote shall take place immediately.  If there is a special election, an emergency endorsement vote shall take place immediately.

Banning a Member
If any member of the party feels that another member has done something inappropriate which he or she feel deserves a violation review, that person may make a motion to do so.  If this motion is seconded, then the members of the party must partake in a debate.  This debate shall end when a twenty-four hour period has passed without debate.  After the debate, there shall be two votes:  One among the Chairmen and one among the Membership.  The motion must pass with 60% or more, in each round of voting, in order for the member to be banned.

Written by CheeseWhiz
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2005, 11:06:32 AM »

Thank you!
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2005, 12:23:42 PM »

it's fine with me
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2005, 12:39:57 PM »

Since John Dibble already stated his approval in another thread, then I guess we can vote on accepting the bylaws

Yea
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2005, 02:06:48 PM »

Yea
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2005, 06:12:06 PM »

yea
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2005, 10:47:37 PM »

The bylaws have passed!  Now we’ll vote on the National Chairman and Regional Chairmen.  I’m the only announced Candidate for National Chairman, and there isn’t anyone running for Regional Chairman, so just write someone in.

National Chairman: CheeseWhiz
Regional Chairman: None of the Above (it’s only me, who will have the position of National Chairman to handle, and MissCatholic, who I don’t think represents our views.)
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2005, 02:31:16 PM »

Could I request that the Libertarian party considers endorsing me for  President as the only real Presidential candidate with libertarian views (no I don't mean the loony views I campaign on Tongue).
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2005, 10:11:50 PM »

Bump™
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2005, 12:34:10 AM »

Are you going to vote for the National and Pacific Regional Chairmen?
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2005, 06:38:22 PM »

Err... what? Who are the available choices? Huh

I said on the last page: I’m running for National Chairman and there aren’t any candidates for Pacific Regional Chairman, so just write someone in and since you’re the only Pacific Libertarian, then I guess you win the seat!
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2005, 06:47:36 PM »
« Edited: March 01, 2014, 02:23:07 PM by Nym90 »

(16:49:42): Just vote for yourself. Chairpeople don't do anything =P

I was just about to say that!
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2005, 07:09:38 PM »

So are you going to vote for National Chairman?
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2005, 07:11:34 PM »

Well, if you're running, then you have my vote. I wouldn't know who else to vote for, to be honest. Smiley
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2005, 07:15:02 PM »

Well, if you're running, then you have my vote. I wouldn't know who else to vote for, to be honest. Smiley

Thanks!
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2005, 07:34:09 PM »

Regional Chairman: Milk & Cereal
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2005, 07:42:43 PM »

Um, since Milk_and_cereal is registered in Michigan, he is only eligible to be Mideast Regional Chair, you’re currently the only Libertarian in the Southeast.

I’ll post this so that there is no further confusion:
Membership List by Region:

Northeast:
Mideast: Milk_and_cereal, A18, south park republican
Southeast: John Dibble
Midwest: CheeseWhiz, MissCatholic
Pacific: Everett
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2005, 12:00:32 AM »

Um, since Milk_and_cereal is registered in Michigan, he is only eligible to be Mideast Regional Chair, you’re currently the only Libertarian in the Southeast.

I’ll post this so that there is no further confusion:
Membership List by Region:

Northeast:
Mideast: Milk_and_cereal, A18, south park republican
Southeast: John Dibble
Midwest: CheeseWhiz, MissCatholic
Pacific: Everett

Ok then, it just wasn't clear that there were multiple regional chairs, plus I was kinda tired. Oh well. Tongue

Regional Chair Southeast - myself, since there's nobody else.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2005, 04:10:50 AM »

Could I request that the Libertarian party considers endorsing me for  President as the only real Presidential candidate with libertarian views (no I don't mean the loony views I campaign on Tongue).
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2005, 04:13:21 AM »

Taxes
The AFLP has never and will never support a tax increase.  We are dedicated to lowering taxes. We believe in a low tax rate that is adequate to cover emergency budget raises and a strong military.

That explains your presidential candidate.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies