Who are currently the de facto farthest left and farthest right world leaders?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:22:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Who are currently the de facto farthest left and farthest right world leaders?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who are currently the de facto farthest left and farthest right world leaders?  (Read 1953 times)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 03, 2015, 03:08:48 AM »

Define far left and far right however you want. I'm going to go with:

Farthest left - Raul Castro
Farthest right - Omar al-Bashir
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 09:04:55 AM »

I have a hard time coming up with a definition of what left-wing and (especially) right-wing mean in a global context. Limiting myself to countries that are reasonably democratic and looking at the leaders within their own national context, Alexis Tsipras is among the most left-wing leaders whereas Viktor Orban seems to be among the most right-wing leaders (although certainly not if one uses a free-market conceptualization of right-wing).
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 11:31:41 AM »

Alexis Tsipras is in practice the farthest left.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 12:14:00 PM »

Evo Morales? Rafael Correa? Luis Soli? Daniel Ortega? Khadga Oli?

As for the right ... Orban, the Gulf monarchs, Khamenei, Shinzo Abe and Nawaz Sharif, maybe.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 12:30:25 PM »

As for the right ... Orban, the Gulf monarchs, Khamenei, Shinzo Abe and Nawaz Sharif, maybe.

I fail to see how some of these are right-wing, unless you define that as "in favor of keeping the status-quo" -- which, admittedly, wouldn't be too bad of a definition for developing/not-so-democratic countries, but its comparative value with Western countries is around zero.

Limiting myself to countries that are at least semi-democratic, Erdogan and Putin also come to mind (apart from Orban). Using a more "Western" definition of right-wing (i.e. in favor of less state intervention in the economy), Stephen Harper might have been a good pick before he got defeated.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 12:43:41 PM »

Oh I know: Singapore's PM.

The Gulf monarxhs and Khamnei arw conservatives in my opinion, and I don't think you could deny that?
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 12:52:38 PM »

The Gulf monarxhs and Khamnei arw conservatives in my opinion, and I don't think you could deny that?
Sure, I agree, but conservative isn't the same as right-wing.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 02:24:28 PM »

impossible to answer. Right and Left are defined by several spectrums that could condradict eachother plus the political spectrum of a state is never quite comparable with another
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 02:51:10 PM »

Kim Jong-un and Benjamin Netanyahu

The leftishness or rightishness of world leaders can be measured by who their international defenders and supporters are.

[insert dictator of Muslim country here] is obviously left-wing, because his international defenders and supporters are entirely left-wing.

Kim Jong-un is the furthest left because his defenders and supporters can only be found amongst the TNF types (and the South Korean center-left, which wins the world's most-insane-center-left prize for that reason).

Netanyahu is the furthest right because he is the world leader most despised by the left, and (outside America) is supported and defended only by the extreme right.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 07:55:38 PM »

What is further to the right: the Moon or the Starbucks on Union Square?
Foucaulf
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2015, 08:03:52 PM »

Farthest left: not sure, but has to be as anti-globalization as Morales. If there is a world leader still talking about import-substitution industrialization it's probably him.

Farthest right: Thailand's General Prayuth, a no brainer to me at least.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2015, 08:38:35 PM »

impossible to answer. Right and Left are defined by several spectrums that could condradict eachother plus the political spectrum of a state is never quite comparable with another

Well it's all a bit of idle fun :/
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2015, 12:25:22 AM »

I'm surprised Modi hasn't been mentioned for furthest right. Or Maduro for left.

"In practice" Tsipras is NOT far left at all.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2015, 06:32:43 AM »

Kim Jong-un and Benjamin Netanyahu

The leftishness or rightishness of world leaders can be measured by who their international defenders and supporters are.

[insert dictator of Muslim country here] is obviously left-wing, because his international defenders and supporters are entirely left-wing.

Kim Jong-un is the furthest left because his defenders and supporters can only be found amongst the TNF types (and the South Korean center-left, which wins the world's most-insane-center-left prize for that reason).

Netanyahu is the furthest right because he is the world leader most despised by the left, and (outside America) is supported and defended only by the extreme right.

Calling Kim far-left is ridiculous. Not that North Korea can be placed on a left-right scale, but his regime (in practice) is extremely conservative, in the sense it wants the no change in North Korean status quo (one of extreme inequality and not an insignificant amount of capitalism). People who openly admire North Korea are more damaged than anything else. As for the left in South Korea, I'd say their view of North Korea is (in some, not all cases) more nuanced than "Kim is good," and is certainly more valuable in terms of effecting change for the majority of North Koreans than just saying North Korea is bad and leaving it at that.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2015, 06:41:25 AM »

Calling Kim far-left is ridiculous. Not that North Korea can be placed on a left-right scale, but his regime (in practice) is extremely conservative, in the sense it wants the no change in North Korean status quo (one of extreme inequality and not an insignificant amount of capitalism).
"It's not communist as long as it's not nice"... Roll Eyes
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2015, 06:45:39 AM »

Calling Kim far-left is ridiculous. Not that North Korea can be placed on a left-right scale, but his regime (in practice) is extremely conservative, in the sense it wants the no change in North Korean status quo (one of extreme inequality and not an insignificant amount of capitalism).
No, it's not Communist because it doesn't fit into the definition of Communism.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2015, 06:52:03 AM »

Most left-wing: Salih Muslim Muhammad
Most right-wing: Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2015, 11:07:49 AM »

Robert Mugabe for most 'right wing'  

edit: ehhh nevermind
warandwar
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2015, 11:51:26 AM »

Not saying its not "communist" in some sense. Just that there's been a large amount of (mostly unmentioned in the West) private market activity. Ever since rationing shut down in the 90s, people have had to go to (technically illegitimate) markets.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies