Uber-liberal Jim McDermott (WA-7) gets primary challenge from the left
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:02:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Uber-liberal Jim McDermott (WA-7) gets primary challenge from the left
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Uber-liberal Jim McDermott (WA-7) gets primary challenge from the left  (Read 1511 times)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 03, 2015, 01:15:56 PM »

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Chances are this will become a D vs. D general election if this guy can pick up any steam at all.

http://www.king5.com/story/news/politics/2015/12/03/rep-mcdermott-gets-liberal-primary-challenger/76717218/?csp=nbcnews
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 01:17:01 PM »

This doesn't make sense, imo. McDermott has been a loyal progressive, no?
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 01:39:15 PM »

With our top-two system, this guy really has nothing to lose by running against McDermott and the Democratic Party has nothing to lose by allowing him to do so.   And in Seattle in particular it's not unusual for politicians that would be perceived as progressives in the rest of the country to get challenged from the left.  I'm sure this guy could dig up some issues that would catch fire with elements of the Seattle voterbase and if he receives enough endorsements and campaign support from the Sawant bloc could mount a serious challenge.  Plus, McDermott is old and hasn't run a real campaign in years.

I'd still bet on the incumbent here, though. 
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 01:44:45 PM »

On what issue has McDermott not been a progressive on?  It just seems hard to see any kind of attack on him from the left.
Seattle
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 01:46:32 PM »

I like Brady Wilkinshaw, but boy is he going to burn some bridges by doing this. I'm guessing McDermott will retire after 2016 if Brady can get more than like 35% of the vote.
Seattle
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 01:51:28 PM »

On what issue has McDermott not been a progressive on?  It just seems hard to see any kind of attack on him from the left.

That recent car mortgage House vote? I know my FB feed was up in arms about the fact that McDermott voted for it and it supposedly allows lenders to discriminate against people of color.
Zache

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 01:57:05 PM »

From what I've read he's challenging him on an appeal for new leadership and change, not on progressive purity.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 01:59:04 PM »

The only issue I can think of is his support of free trade-there were very loud calls for a primary challenge around 1993 when he voted for NAFTA, but it never happened. Some environmentalists have long complained McDermott is more technocratic than activist, but he's never really broken with them on any issue.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 02:27:39 PM »

I would imagine that Wilkinshaw wants McDermott to retire already, and giving him a strong challenge is his way of encouraging/booting McDermott out the door.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 03:03:56 PM »

Challenge McDermott from the left makes as much sense to me as  to attack Joseph Stalin for being "weak communist"... McDermott is already as far left as i can imagine from serious politician...
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2015, 03:14:48 PM »

Challenge McDermott from the left makes as much sense to me as  to attack Joseph Stalin for being "weak communist"...

trotsky?

Anyway, the answer is that a certain breed of leftist prefers people who take an activist role. And seeing as Seattle holds one of the more anti-authoritaran activist bases, I'm not surprised this is happening.

henster
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2015, 03:23:42 PM »

This is why the Democratic bench is so bad, older Reps refusing to retire to pave way for younger more diverse replacements. I'm sure McDermott is every bit progressive on issues but sometimes its just time to go.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 07:42:21 PM »

Sounds like someone who's tired of waiting for McDermott to retire.

If he can give me a reason to vote against McDermott besides "We need someone new", he'll have my vote. I don't know of any issues where McDermott has failed to please hardcore progressives, at least nothing that a campaign can be built on, but McDermott has appeared to be a bit "out of the loop" sometimes.

I remember Colbert's Better Know a District interview with McDermott where he asked him about a photo he did for the "No H8" campaign. McDermott didn't even know it was a gay rights campaign, he said he basically just showed up, posed for the photos, and left without ever really knowing what it was for.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2015, 01:45:37 PM »

Challenge McDermott from the left makes as much sense to me as  to attack Joseph Stalin for being "weak communist"...
So it makes a lot of sense?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies