After The False Spring, the III ASOIAF Game (Sign Up - Rules Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:24:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  After The False Spring, the III ASOIAF Game (Sign Up - Rules Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 17
Author Topic: After The False Spring, the III ASOIAF Game (Sign Up - Rules Thread)  (Read 29861 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: January 16, 2016, 09:27:50 PM »

Writing the end of turn update, it should be up tonight.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #126 on: January 16, 2016, 10:58:13 PM »

Writing the end of turn update, it should be up tonight.
Yes! Anxiously waiting.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #127 on: January 16, 2016, 11:15:58 PM »
« Edited: January 16, 2016, 11:21:55 PM by Malcolm X »

End of Turn Two:

The Stag who would be King: Robert Baratheon, Lord Paramount of the Stormlands, was stabbed to death in the Eyrie by an assassin several days after having declared himself to be the rightful King of Westeros.  However, the murderer was captured by the guards who'd been ordered to prevent the late Lord Baratheon from attempting to leave the Eyrie as he attempted to escape.  While the man initially insisted that he had been hired by the Targaryens, he confessed once placed upon the rack that none other than Lord Rickard Stark had hired him to murder Robert Baratheon and paid him extra to blame the Targaryens should he be captured.  The Stormlords are now calling for Lord Stark's head, chief among them, the new Lord Paramount of the Stormlands: Stannis Baratheon.  

The Royal Bastard in Waiting: Lord Hoster Tully's forces have captured Lyanna Stark not far from the God's Eye.  Prince Rhaegar died of wounds that he suffered at the hands of one of Lord Tully's men, but Lyanna Stark was taken alive and claims to have been tricked into running away with the late Prince.  Complicating matters even further is the fact that Lyanna appears to be pregnant with Rhaegar's child.  

Note: Sorry Spamage, my condolences.  Stannis Baratheon is now a playable character, btw.
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #128 on: January 17, 2016, 02:18:17 AM »

not to seem ungrateful, but is that all we're getting? not to seem anal, but shouldn't it be on the other thread for clarity?

love from the Iron Isles at 7 am x
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #129 on: January 17, 2016, 11:31:58 AM »

not to seem ungrateful, but is that all we're getting? not to seem anal, but shouldn't it be on the other thread for clarity?

love from the Iron Isles at 7 am x

Not a lot happened this turn, but what did happen was huge.  I'll get to the military stuff in the "Begin Turn Three"/objectives update.
leonardothered
United States

« Reply #130 on: January 17, 2016, 01:01:43 PM »

Assassinations seen to be rather easy to perform... : /
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #131 on: January 17, 2016, 05:32:03 PM »

I get that you guys have been busy, but last turn more of the 'not a lot' was written up; (very well) and this time what little there is mostly npc stuff not player stuff which leaves me feeling a bit pointless...

While I realise dice are dice, it is a bit alarming and hard to invest in an alt-Rebellion where key npcs (especially Rhaegar, but also Elia and Aegon I suppose) and pcs (Aerys then Robert, which seems to have cost at least one player so far) die quite so quickly and randomly with, especially lately, little surrounding write-up and context. I really liked the first turn JonCon PoV for example - but in second turn Rhaegar himself dies in a line to a no-name Tully guard...which seems to make all that Declarant stuff a bit redundant? I hope you prove me wrong yet, though!

If the updates skimp on the majority of players' stuff, the mod povs are potentially non-existent, the core plot is sketchily and drastically killed off, and the waits are indefinite, hanging in here gets less attractive. Things seem to me to become a jolty, slow strategy game and a less good story.

I really like this game and would rather stay, but personally, speaking obviously just for myself, I hope things return asap to the excellent, dramatic level of the first turn, and would also recommend a faintly less deadly dice rule...
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #132 on: January 17, 2016, 06:36:02 PM »

In the first season of game of thrones (SPOILERS) a sh**t ton happens with Robert, Ned, Tryion, Jaime, Viserys, Bran, Khal Drogo and several others finding themselves in different situations to how they started in it.

I'm really not that concerned
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #133 on: January 17, 2016, 06:45:25 PM »

That's true. I'd be totally reconciled to the deaths if they had a bit more, shall we say, flesh on them - and they are only one of a few concerns I cited above. I just feel mod-busy-ness is telling a little. But I have enjoyed myself very much so far nonetheless, and I hope to continue to do so
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #134 on: January 17, 2016, 08:10:56 PM »

I get that you guys have been busy, but last turn more of the 'not a lot' was written up; (very well) and this time what little there is mostly npc stuff not player stuff which leaves me feeling a bit pointless...

While I realise dice are dice, it is a bit alarming and hard to invest in an alt-Rebellion where key npcs (especially Rhaegar, but also Elia and Aegon I suppose) and pcs (Aerys then Robert, which seems to have cost at least one player so far) die quite so quickly and randomly with, especially lately, little surrounding write-up and context. I really liked the first turn JonCon PoV for example - but in second turn Rhaegar himself dies in a line to a no-name Tully guard...which seems to make all that Declarant stuff a bit redundant? I hope you prove me wrong yet, though!

If the updates skimp on the majority of players' stuff, the mod povs are potentially non-existent, the core plot is sketchily and drastically killed off, and the waits are indefinite, hanging in here gets less attractive. Things seem to me to become a jolty, slow strategy game and a less good story.

I really like this game and would rather stay, but personally, speaking obviously just for myself, I hope things return asap to the excellent, dramatic level of the first turn, and would also recommend a faintly less deadly dice rule...

I mean, it is what it is and RL needs to come first, as far as I'm concerned.  The previous two games lasted a long time, this one seems on track to wrap itself up sooner rather than later.  There's nothing wrong with that.  Sometimes things just sort themselves out organically.
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #135 on: January 17, 2016, 08:31:38 PM »

Of course RL always must come first

But these games do require a certain amount of commitment, commitment it becomes a bit harder to muster if the mods seem to think the end is in sight, and something of a relief due to life pressures, on turn two!

I'm sorry to be an annoying awkward squad person - for myself I was hoping this would go on for a bit, if maybe not the full epic fifteen turns of last time, especially because I love writing squiddy PoVs
leonardothered
United States

« Reply #136 on: January 17, 2016, 09:05:04 PM »

I'm only concerned at the death rate and success of assassinations so far. I mean all male adult claimants to the throne are dead, Stannis is something like 16 at best. Just kinda a bit dead endish imo lol
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #137 on: January 17, 2016, 09:16:40 PM »

I'm only concerned at the death rate and success of assassinations so far. I mean all male adult claimants to the throne are dead, Stannis is something like 16 at best. Just kinda a bit dead endish imo lol

I agree, Malcolm and I are going to discuss it. Some of the stuff in the turn 2 post may change. I will also be adding everyone else's orders to the post (though i'll note i never received turn 2 orders from Talley or Dereich).
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #138 on: January 17, 2016, 09:33:52 PM »
« Edited: January 17, 2016, 09:41:37 PM by Malcolm X »

But these games do require a certain amount of commitment, commitment it becomes a bit harder to muster if the mods seem to think the end is in sight, and something of a relief due to life pressures, on turn two!

I'm sorry to be an annoying awkward squad person - for myself I was hoping this would go on for a bit, if maybe not the full epic fifteen turns of last time, especially because I love writing squiddy PoVs

I'm sorry if this one hasn't been as exciting for you as the first two games.  For better or worse, this one seems to be sorting itself out pretty quickly.  I'm not going to rig the dice to get outcomes that make the game go on longer though.  That would not be good-faith modding.  It just happened that (despite low odds of either dying) both Rhaegar and Robert died this turn.  Sometimes that's just the way things happen and it's not good or bad.  It's just the luck of the draw.  

Badgate and I are doing the best we can, but as I said, real-life comes first.  For my part, I'm working to save up enough money to put myself through law-school, writing a book, gearing up my studying for the LSAT, volunteering for a local political campaign, and trying to have a good RL social life, in addition to co-modding this game.  I've got a lot on my plate and while I am doing my best to provide updates at a reasonable pace, I do hope people can also be understanding about the RL stuff I have to also worry about.  As Lumine will surely tell you, this is a lot harder than it looks.  

I get that the long games are sometimes the most fun, but things don't always pan out that way.  I'm sorry if this game is unsatisfactory for anyone, but I'm not going to rig the dice.  I hope folks can simply enjoy the game for however long it lasts.

EDIT: I am firmly opposed to undoing the events from the end of turn, just to clarify.
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #139 on: January 17, 2016, 10:15:03 PM »

I agree, Malcolm and I are going to discuss it. Some of the stuff in the turn 2 post may change. I will also be adding everyone else's orders to the post (though i'll note i never received turn 2 orders from Talley or Dereich).

I don't know about Talley, but I chose to sit last round out for in-character and strategic reasons.

You didn't have to tell everyone!!! I could have kept looking like a mysterious master plotter!
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #140 on: January 18, 2016, 03:44:13 AM »
« Edited: January 18, 2016, 04:49:23 AM by Garlan Gunter »

I'm sorry if this one hasn't been as exciting for you as the first two games.  For better or worse, this one seems to be sorting itself out pretty quickly.  I'm not going to rig the dice to get outcomes that make the game go on longer though.  That would not be good-faith modding.  It just happened that (despite low odds of either dying) both Rhaegar and Robert died this turn.  Sometimes that's just the way things happen and it's not good or bad.  It's just the luck of the draw. 

Badgate and I are doing the best we can, but as I said, real-life comes first.  For my part, I'm working to save up enough money to put myself through law-school, writing a book, gearing up my studying for the LSAT, volunteering for a local political campaign, and trying to have a good RL social life, in addition to co-modding this game.  I've got a lot on my plate and while I am doing my best to provide updates at a reasonable pace, I do hope people can also be understanding about the RL stuff I have to also worry about.  As Lumine will surely tell you, this is a lot harder than it looks. 

I get that the long games are sometimes the most fun, but things don't always pan out that way.  I'm sorry if this game is unsatisfactory for anyone, but I'm not going to rig the dice.  I hope folks can simply enjoy the game for however long it lasts.

EDIT: I am firmly opposed to undoing the events from the end of turn, just to clarify.

I'm really sorry if I gave the impression I wasn't enjoying myself - that is completely not the case -politics in peace time leaning cold war Westeros is really exciting I think, and I have been far too gripped to be entirely healthy!

For that reason I felt a little kicked in the teeth when the long wait resulted in a skimpy update that seemed to ignore a lot of pc activity (mine, at any rate...)

While I have wondered if the dice mechanics are a bit trigger happy, the deaths last turn are not the main issue for me - after all one was presumably the fair result of player action - but rather that they felt like a random rush job (I also did feel the lack of mod PoVs). If the choice absolutely has to be made, I'd rather have a longer wait and a more thought out update.

I would be sad if False Spring became False Start. I am having fun and think we still have stuff to do even if Rhae and Rob are deader than dead, though if there is a way of slowing future NPC massacres, I would be quite up for that...

EDIT: I like DipsoDoran - funnier than in books by far
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #141 on: January 18, 2016, 08:18:10 PM »

Just for fun, I'm issuing 20 or so edicts from King's Landing, including executions, appointments, a potential wedding, and an unexpected twist... Stay tuned!
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #142 on: January 18, 2016, 10:34:59 PM »

I know my pov's were short, I just wanted to get them out before anything else changed.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #143 on: January 18, 2016, 10:40:46 PM »

I know my pov's were short, I just wanted to get them out before anything else changed.

They were very interesting though.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #144 on: January 18, 2016, 10:48:37 PM »

They were very interesting though.

Thank you very much.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #145 on: January 18, 2016, 11:16:03 PM »

I will post objectives for turn 3 tomorrow. Smiley
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #146 on: January 19, 2016, 04:26:11 AM »

What a pleasingly eventful morning!
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #147 on: January 19, 2016, 04:34:22 PM »

Anyone want to take Stannis?
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #148 on: January 19, 2016, 07:25:28 PM »

I hope Spamage takes up the stag banner again...?

Looks like you might be Eddard quite soon Enduro?! unless we're falling for a deeper plan
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #149 on: January 19, 2016, 07:27:56 PM »

I hope Spamage takes up the stag banner again...?

Looks like you might be Eddard quite soon Enduro?! unless we're falling for a deeper plan

Yeah, it's looking like I might.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies