Sports thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:06:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Sports thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sports thread  (Read 1450 times)
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 04, 2015, 04:08:58 PM »

Are you a sports fan, if so which are your favorite teams and which sport do you like the best?
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 12:08:34 AM »

Raised an NFL football fan. Specifically of the Atlanta Falcons. I have no clue how a team can start out 5-0 and is now 6-6. It's like Rand Paul's campaign. Sigh.

Still watch the NFL, but I prefer soccer nowadays. I lived in the DFW area for about a decade, moving back here in 2013, so I'm a fan of FC Dallas (who just had one of their best seasons ever, thanks to the rightful Coach of the Year two seasons running, Oscar Pareja). I'm also a fan of Chelsea over in Europe, and the US national teams (by the way, the fact that they can't prepare a suitable field for the World Cup champions is absurd).

I like other sports, but...I only have so much free time in a day, and I already spend lots of it doing...um...very important things. Like, multi-million dollar business deals and boarding spacecraft en route to Mars and cool stuff like that.

Oh, and another one of my favorite sports would be politics! Unfortunately my team isn't that good, but they try, and sometimes get moral victories.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 06:07:19 AM »

Obligatory sports video
Emmon Frey
Elmo
Rookie
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 06:23:25 AM »

Yes. Manchester United have been my team of choice since I could walk and talk, which obviously makes me an awful person in the eyes of many.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 09:17:45 AM »

Yes.  St.Louis Cardinals fan from birth.  Dad didn't watch any other sports so I didn't either.  I discovered football in Middle School and was at first a fan of the Seahawks, but eventually moved on to the Steelers by the very early 90s.  I discovered ice hockey in High School, became a Blues fan.  I've always enjoyed playing basketball, but never enjoyed watching it.  I was a Duke fan in the 90s, and I guess I still am, but I really don't care much.  I enjoy soccer, but don't really have a "team" other than the US teams.  I seem to always end up on Olympique Lyonnais in Ligue 1,  FC Bayern Munich in the Bundesliga and Man U in the Premier when I play PES...so I guess those guys.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 03:46:17 PM »

There needs to be a sports board here. It would get used.

NFL and NCAA Football are my serious sports, but also horse racing (mainly the triple crown scene), Major League Baseball, and during playoffs, NHL and NBA.

I do not follow soccer, stock car racing, obscure European sports, or Olympic sports.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 03:59:15 PM »

I support the local teams. My favorite sport is baseball (Giants), but I also follow the 49ers, Warriors, and Sharks.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 11:28:40 AM »

Big Chicago Bears fan through thick and thin. Also a fan of the Blackhawks and Cubs.

For college sports, I cheer for my alma mater, the Illinois Fighting Illini.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 11:30:21 AM »

I only watch MLB. Boston Red Sox fan for as long as I can remember.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2015, 02:00:34 PM »

Lifelong Angels fan. MLB is the only sports league I follow day-to-day, but I will watch Seahawks games on Sundays as my wife is a lifelong Seahawks fan. I don't like the NFL much, but I'll root for the Seahawks as there hasn't been an LA NFL team in my sports-viewing life.

I have no interest in the NBA, NHL, or MLS. Once in a while I watch college football and basketball. Mostly I root for USC and some local schools.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2015, 02:22:06 PM »

I like to watch Alpine Skiing, Biathlon & Ski Jumping now during winter.

With Anna Fenninger out for the whole season after a bad knee injury, the US (Vonn/Shiffrin/Ligety) as well as the Norwegians (Svindal/Jansrud) are giving us Austrians really a run for the money this season. After the first races, Austria even was behind (!!!) in the overall WC standings for the first time in ... I don't know when really (25 years or so). But in the recent races, with Marcel Hirscher winning the 2 races in Aspen (Colorado), we have taken the lead again.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2015, 02:34:01 PM »

I like to watch Alpine Skiing, Biathlon & Ski Jumping now during winter.

With Anna Fenninger out for the whole season after a bad knee injury, the US (Vonn/Shiffrin/Ligety) as well as the Norwegians (Svindal/Jansrud) are giving us Austrians really a run for the money this season. After the first races, Austria even was behind (!!!) in the overall WC standings for the first time in ... I don't know when really (25 years or so). But in the recent races, with Marcel Hirscher winning the 2 races in Aspen (Colorado), we have taken the lead again.

Just checked it:

Austria has won the Nations Cup in every year since 1988.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIS_Alpine_Ski_World_Cup#Nations_Cup_2
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2015, 03:27:11 PM »

Was born in Peoria, IL, and even though I went to the University of Iowa (wanted to follow my high school friends and be close to home), I grew up a big fan of all Illinois teams.  I root for Iowa (obviously), but my heart is and always will be with the Illini.  If even one of my good friends would have gone to the University of Illinois with me, I would have been gone, but I didn't want to go by myself.

Anyway, in order of how much I live and die with them:

Chicago Cubs (MLB)
Illinois Fighting Illini (College Basketball)
Illinois Fighting Illini (College Football)
Chicago Bears (NFL)
Iowa Hawkeyes (College Football)
Chicago Bulls (NBA)
Iowa Hawkeyes (College Basketball)
Chicago Blackhawks (NHL)

I also love watching the US Men's National Team in soccer with a passion, but I really only put in the effort to watch them when they're on TV.  If and when the US is eliminated in the World Cup or during Euro Cups, I root for Germany (family ancestry).  As far as club soccer, Borussia Dortmund is my favorite team, but it's not easy to follow them in the US.  I always play with them on FIFA, though! Tongue

Other teams I sort of root for because family members went there include Bradley Basketball (Dad's MBA), Northern Illinois Football (Dad's and Mom's undergrad) and Butler Basketball (Sister's current undergrad).
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2015, 03:58:32 PM »

Packers.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2015, 03:59:47 PM »

Blazers,Ducks,Seahawks
Emmon Frey
Elmo
Rookie
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2015, 08:54:07 AM »

I adopted the Buffalo Bills as my NFL team after seeing a documentary about Marv Levy's team of the early 90s. A fine choice, I'm sure you will all agree.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2015, 06:39:34 PM »
« Edited: December 10, 2015, 06:44:23 PM by smilo »

I like Tom's format here, so even though I've posted before, what's once more? Smiley

Villanova Wildcats (NCAAM)
New York Yankees (MLB-AL)
Temple Owls (NCAAF-FBS)
New York Rangers (NHL-East)
Napoli (Serie A)
Green Bay Packers (NFL-NFC)
FC Basel (SSL)

I don't have active favorite NCAA Lacrosse, Baseball, or Hockey or BPL teams in spite of watching frequently. More like groups of teams and look out for who is hot some year.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2015, 08:59:05 PM »

The Sox have always been my number 1 growing up on the south side, and I'm fiercely loyal to them no matter how much they piss me off, same for the Bears too Sad

Chicago White Sox
Chicago Bears
Chicago Blackhawks
Iowa Hawkeyes (football)
Chicago Bulls
Iowa Hawkeyes (basketball)
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2015, 07:37:57 PM »

Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2015, 08:11:32 PM »

Woah, weird Western Michigan helmet...at first I thought it was like a merge of Washington and Boise, but I obviously could tell with the colours. I think just the mascot works better.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2015, 08:17:23 PM »

Woah, weird Western Michigan helmet...at first I thought it was like a merge of Washington and Boise, but I obviously could tell with the colours. I think just the mascot works better.

I absolutely hate the new PJ fleck unis. We're not Oregon, and this isn't a fashion show. I honestly wish we'd go back to the block W look, as that's a pretty damn good logo IMO.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2015, 08:32:17 PM »

I absolutely hate the new PJ fleck unis. We're not Oregon, and this isn't a fashion show. I honestly wish we'd go back to the block W look, as that's a pretty damn good logo IMO.

I do like the W as well - it's really cool to see the same uniform stylings as Central and Eastern in that sense (even though your product is trying to be marketed as better than that pair).
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2015, 01:34:33 AM »

Using the format of choice:

FC Dallas (MLS)
Chelsea (EPL)
Atlanta Silverbacks (NASL)
FC Utrecht (Eredivisie)
United States (International sports)
Atlanta Falcons (NFL)
Libertarian Party (US politics)
Republitarians (Republican party power struggle)

Weird fact about MLS: in the last 3 MLS Cups running the team I've been wanting to win has lost. First RSL, then New England, and now Columbus.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2015, 08:00:20 AM »

Carolina Panthers
Golden State
RED Sox
Pages: [1]