Benedict Anderson (1936-2015)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:38:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Benedict Anderson (1936-2015)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Benedict Anderson (1936-2015)  (Read 1735 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 13, 2015, 10:31:47 AM »

Scholar of Nationalism and South East Asia Benedict Anderson has died

Pretty much anyone who has done sort of research on the issue of nationalism or identity in the past 30 years or so has come across Benedict Anderson's work Imagined Communities. Anderson's work tried to establish the origins of modern nationalism seeing it as originating with the rise of literacy and states in Early Modern Europe and then spreading over the world due to the impact of imperialism and 'the enlightenment' (Personally I think this is wrong, but that's for another time). Anderson was writing against long standing materialist and marxist-inspired assumptions in the social science which gave little credence to the importance of ideology and even less to ethnicity or identity. Therefore Anderson's work can be seen as part of a transition in the social sciences from the Materialist cum Marxism of the 60s and 70s to the more 'Postmodernist' analysis more focused on identity and more historicist than in the past. He also invented a phrase, the title of his book, that become ubiquitous in scholarship and ended up being more cited than read. He was also a major figure in South East Asian studies (the invasion of Cambodia by Vietnam in 1979 was what inspired him to write Imagined Communities). He will be missed.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 02:59:11 PM »

We've lost way too many notable historians this year haven't we? RIP.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 03:20:16 PM »

RIP. I read Imagined Communities earlier this year, and it was one of my first really serious, thoughtful history books.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 12:17:15 AM »

Imagined Communities is a much better book than people assume, and its case is far more nuanced than commonly assumed. (Latin America pioneered nationalism decades before Eastern Europe? Anderson makes many claims usually skipped over)

RIP
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 01:19:49 PM »

Along with Muarry Bookchin, someone very influential on the Rojava situation.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 06:35:34 PM »

I only briefly came into contact with Anderson's work last year--the literature on Japanese nationalism specifically doesn't really have much truck with him for whatever reason--but I liked what I read of it. RIP.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 05:54:41 PM »

In any case, I suppose if you don't buy Anderson's arguments wrt:the emergence of nationalism, his arguments can be pretty easily retrofitted to explain why nationalism has been more popular since the late 1700s.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies