What place is Christie *actually* in right now?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:51:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  What place is Christie *actually* in right now?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: What place is Christie in
First!

Second,

Third?

Fourth.

Fifth...

F**k Christie

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 50

Author Topic: What place is Christie *actually* in right now?  (Read 947 times)
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 05, 2015, 06:05:22 AM »

Cause on the RCP average he's still in like tenth place.  But we all know that's not true.  What place is Christie ACTUALLY in right now?

Here is my order:
Trump
Cruz
Rubio
Christie
Bush
Carson
nobody
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 06:31:28 AM »

In what?  National polling?  Probability to win the nomination?
Why
Unbiased
Australia

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 06:43:04 AM »

Christie position is struggling to remain relevant to the nomination race, something that he might just be managing to do.

Christie getting a bit of a boost in the polls would not be much of a surprise as he does have something about him but there is no evidence from the polling that he can win the nomination. But perhaps Nate Silver is right, the polls mean next to nothing and anything can happen, except, of course, Trump winning the nomination.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 07:00:05 AM »

Am I missing something here? Even the most recent polls have him at 2-4%, indicating virtually no movement. Moreover, should he become a more serious contender, other candidates will begin to dig up dirt (ok, admittedly the dirt is already on the surface) on him. I mean just look at how soft he is on illegals: http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/politics/2014/01/07/nj-gov-christie-holds-ceremonial-signing-in-state-tuition-bill-for-undocumented/. If this brought down Perry, it'll do the same to a resurgent Christie.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 07:00:49 AM »

The grocery store.
Lord of the Dome
Rookie
Australia

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 07:29:28 AM »

Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 08:51:46 AM »

Christie position is struggling to remain relevant to the nomination race, something that he might just be managing to do.

Christie getting a bit of a boost in the polls would not be much of a surprise as he does have something about him but there is no evidence from the polling that he can win the nomination. But perhaps Nate Silver is right, the polls mean next to nothing and anything can happen, except, of course, Trump winning the nomination.

This.

Christie might actually be in 6th place in that I believe that Rand Paul is actually doing better than polls indicate.  Not way better, but the Ron Paul faction gives him a bigger base than polls indicate.  Rand's problem is that he can't really grow beyond that base, which is in single digits.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 10:32:27 AM »

If this Rubio affair thing turns out to be true, Christie could be in position to be the Establishment's Last Hope.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 10:55:45 AM »

If this Rubio affair thing turns out to be true, Christie could be in position to be the Establishment's Last Hope but has to compete with Kasich for it first.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2015, 10:55:57 AM »

If this Rubio affair thing turns out to be true, Christie could be in position to be the Establishment's Last Hope.

Regardless of whether it is or isn't, I voted 2nd, maybe 3rd. I see the case for Cruz 2nd, but an actually insurgent establishment candidate might actually have potential to stave off Cruz.

Rubio 4
Carson 5
Paul 6
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2015, 10:59:44 AM »

Yeah, this, though even without the affair thing Christie could still win establishment backing if he can beat Trump in NH.

That's a big if though.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2015, 11:47:38 AM »

I'm not convinced the Rubio affair thing has to be true to do damage if there's enough smoke it'll scare the people who matter.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2015, 11:52:40 AM »

I'm not convinced the Rubio affair thing has to be true to do damage if there's enough smoke it'll scare the people who matter.

...which is why Bush Campaign insinuated to donors it was the reason Rubio failed Romney's vetting.

Except Christie reportedly failed too.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2015, 12:32:33 PM »

...which is why Bush Campaign insinuated to donors it was the reason Rubio failed Romney's vetting.

Except Christie reportedly failed too.

Yeah according to Double Down one of the main reasons Christie failed was a potential affair.
ScottieF

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2015, 12:35:20 PM »

It doesn't really matter, but...

Rubio
Trump
Cruz
Bush
Carson
Kasich
Christie

With the first three being the only ones with a genuinely good shot at the nomination.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2015, 12:39:51 PM »

Rubio
Trump
Cruz
Bush
Kasich
Carson
Paul
Christie
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2015, 12:46:12 PM »

here are my odds right now:

Trump: 45%
Cruz: 30%
Rubio: 15%
Christie: 10%

It's really starting to look like Christie might have a better shot of emerging as the establishment choice than Rubio does.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2015, 01:10:03 PM »

Oh man Trump is going to have a field day roasting Christie if he becomes the new establishment pick!
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2015, 01:34:32 PM »

It's really starting to look like Christie might have a better shot of emerging as the establishment choice than Rubio does.
I wouldn't dismiss Carson too quickly, but if after being demoted to an undercard candidate he manages to surpass Kasich, Bush and Rubio, he would be the comeback kid.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2015, 01:57:38 PM »

According to national polls:
Trump
Carson
Cruz
Rubio
Bush
Christie (6th)

Therefore, none of the options in this poll are ones that I could currently chose.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2015, 01:59:06 PM »

OK, but let's hope that he's on a low carb diet. Not very nice, I know, but what the heck.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2015, 02:56:14 PM »

I wouldn't dismiss Carson too quickly, but if after being demoted to an undercard candidate he manages to surpass Kasich, Bush and Rubio, he would be the comeback kid.

Even if October, when Carson was doing better, I still thought his chances were fairly low. Even if he wins Iowa, he's not going to win the nomination. Republicans like him and he has a devoted group of supporters, but it's clear that most don't see him a president.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2015, 02:58:01 PM »

Going by subjective odds, I'd place Christie in a solid third place behind Rubio and Cruz:

~55% - Rubio
~20% - Cruz
~10% - Christie
  ~5% - Bush
  ~5% - Trump
  <5% - Others

...with "others" mostly comprising potential nominees who are not candidates.

I can't imagine any set of circumstances under which either Carson, Fiorina, Kasich, Paul, Huckabee, Graham, Santorum, Gilmore, or Pataki wins the nomination - none of them merits better than 1000:1 odds, at best.

Maybe Bush belong in this category as well. HOWEVER, the defining characteristic of politicians from the Bush family is a political cliché: They really are willing to say and do anything to get elected.

So, if Jeb decides to go full-Atwater on each of the other non-Trump candidates - which, increasingly, seems to be the case - he might succeed in destroying every one of them. And we don't get a "fair fight" between him and Trump at that point - what we probably get is Jeb winning through some combination of party shenanigans, rules-lawyering, and raw spending. Which, I imagine, is the catalyst for Trump running as an independent candidate.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2015, 03:05:08 PM »

You really think Rubio has a better than 1 in 2 chance of being the nominee? The guy hasn't led in a single poll yet. He's not even close! Nor is he really showing any momentum at all, unlike arguably Cruz and Christie.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2015, 03:11:51 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies