British Concentration Camps
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:55:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  British Concentration Camps
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: British Concentration Camps  (Read 2147 times)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 20, 2005, 12:26:49 PM »

No, it isnt a jewish child in a Nazi Concentration Camp. He is called Abraham Carel Wessels, picture taken in the Concentration Camp, of Bloemfontein, South Africa, around 1900, during the second Anglo-Boer war. About 27000 women and children died in one of the 31 concentration camps created by the British to cut the civil population support to the boer guerilla.

The Concentration Camps (1899 - 1902):

According to a British journalist, WT Stead, the concentration camps were nothing more than a cruel torture machine. He writes: "Every one of these children who died as a result of the halving of their rations, thereby exerting pressure onto their family still on the battle-field, was purposefully murdered. The system of half rations stands exposed and stark and unshamefully as a cold-blooded deed of state policy employed with the purpose of ensuring the surrender of people whom we were not able to defeat on the battlefield."
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 12:28:03 PM »

They still used the term in the Mau-Mau war (Kenya, the 1950s)...that really is incredibly tasteless.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 01:50:59 PM »

Yes, we invented the concentration camp.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005, 04:06:05 PM »

Yep that stuff was horrific. A lot of people over here thought that as well.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 11:59:49 PM »

Ah, the good old days of British Imperialism. I'm glad at least that the British have had the sense to renounce those ways.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2005, 05:50:34 AM »

Ah, the good old days of British Imperialism. I'm glad at least that the British have had the sense to renounce those ways.

Now it's time for the United States to do the same.

*ducks for cover*
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2005, 07:17:15 AM »

*ducks for cover*

Bono, you've really gone off the deep end.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2005, 08:17:09 AM »

*ducks for cover*

Bono, you've really gone off the deep end.

I was talking about imperialism, not concentration camps.

And as could be infered from "*ducks for cover*", I was half joking. Smiley
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2005, 08:26:51 AM »

Well, let's be blunt.  The US had "concentration camps" for Japanese citizens and residents during WWII, though treatment was better and they were disbanded prior to the end of the war.  At least two future US Senators were inmates.

A "concentation camp" is not an "extermination camp."
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2005, 08:35:14 AM »

One last vestige to shed.  Slan abhaile
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2005, 08:49:57 AM »

Well, let's be blunt.  The US had "concentration camps" for Japanese citizens and residents during WWII, though treatment was better and they were disbanded prior to the end of the war.  At least two future US Senators were inmates.

A "concentation camp" is not an "extermination camp."

I'd always learned that the US put japs in concentration camps as well, and since neither those of german nor italian descent were concentrated this way, on can infer the racist component of the philosophy of "better safe than sorry" in concentrating the potential disloyal japs.  Fine.  But one day I was discussing wwII with a colleague, and when I mentioned the jap concentration camps, he came unglued.  We never had any concentration camps!  What do you mean?  Apparently "concentration" is a word you can add to that list of emotionally-charged words we discussed before.  Still, a rose by any other name smells just as sweet.  Clearly our government has, periodically, concentrated people into camps, though I'm not sure what the politically correct term for concentration camps is nowadays.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2005, 09:04:01 AM »

The really, really weird thing about the Japanese internment camps (I think that was the official title) is that only the California Japanese were put there. The Hawaii Japanese were left alone, and even served in the Army same as everybody else.
If security had been the chief consideration here, you'd expect it the other way round, right?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2005, 10:26:08 AM »

but rest assured that the hawaii japanese remember the camps.  when we were in honolulu last summer I got into a long conversation with this really old guy (coulda been anywhere between 60 and 100; he was asian, so who can tell?)  He was obviously of japanese descent, and described to me a vivid recollection of the bombing of pearl harbor.  Said he was working at the time, so he musta been at least 80, and had no doubt that it was his country (the usa) that was in flames.  He then described the horror with which he learned that many of his fellow americans were being concentrated (interned, whatever) into holding facilities, based solely on their ethnicity.  True story.  And interesting to hear it.  My wife, being from Nanjing, and raised to despise the japs, obviously had no patience for him, but I found his story of the morning of December 7, 1942, and its aftermath fascinating.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2005, 05:31:46 PM »

but rest assured that the hawaii japanese remember the camps.  when we were in honolulu last summer I got into a long conversation with this really old guy (coulda been anywhere between 60 and 100; he was asian, so who can tell?)  He was obviously of japanese descent, and described to me a vivid recollection of the bombing of pearl harbor.  Said he was working at the time, so he musta been at least 80, and had no doubt that it was his country (the usa) that was in flames.  He then described the horror with which he learned that many of his fellow americans were being concentrated (interned, whatever) into holding facilities, based solely on their ethnicity.  True story.  And interesting to hear it.  My wife, being from Nanjing, and raised to despise the japs, obviously had no patience for him, but I found his story of the morning of December 7, 1942, and its aftermath fascinating.

Did you ever read the Rape of Nanking? Pretty powerful stuff.  (I believe the author killed herself a few months ago.)  It was really sickening how the Japanese officers were having beheading competitions. 
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2005, 05:43:12 PM »

Did you ever read the Rape of Nanking? Pretty powerful stuff.  (I believe the author killed herself a few months ago.)  It was really sickening how the Japanese officers were having beheading competitions. 

we had this conversation once before, I think.  maybe not you and me.  somebody and me.  No, I didn't, but I have listened to some first-hand accounts of the rape of nanjing by some older chinese people.  I also have a February 1938 issue of national geographic issue.  powerful stuff, no doubt.  War is hell, any way you slice it.  "cold war" and "strategic competition" which we have had between USSR and china, respectively, are neurotic, but I think preferable to shooting wars.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2005, 05:46:16 PM »

America had concentration camps. In 2005, there was one at Gitmo. Oh, wait, wrong war.
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2005, 05:31:23 PM »

History is so depressing. Sad

History teachers should be paid extra for teaching such horror.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies