Vegetarians more likely to have mental issues...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:29:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Vegetarians more likely to have mental issues...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Vegetarians more likely to have mental issues...  (Read 6671 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 06, 2015, 03:07:13 PM »

...but it's not because they don't eat meat
link-US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health
You must be logged in to read this quote.
You get the crazy, then you become vegetarian...not the other way 'round.  (at least in the West)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 03:43:15 PM »

It probably also doesn't help that despite the personal effort, animals are still being massacred anyway.  That has to be a little demoralizing.

* not a veggie btw, but those who are are FFs.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 04:40:25 PM »

Hmm, but less likely to have heart disease, diabetes, hypertension, cholesterol, etc. Tongue
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 08:57:48 PM »

It likely is  that people who have issues are more likely to try changes from the normal in a hope that will help the issue.  That said change may have no effect on the issue doesn't matter.  For example at my church's eatin' meetin' today after the service, there was one person who mentioned going on a gluten-free diet in case that would help her digestive problems.  This despite not having been tested for gluten intolerance and hearing from another member that he's tried the same a while ago to no effect.

Since vegetarian is non-normal in our society, it's not surprising that people with mental health issues are more likely to be vegetarian.

Incidentally, I went vegetarian for Lent last year.  It helped that Sundays are not part of Lent, as the only real problem I had with it was when I was dining with friends and family.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 10:58:51 AM »

It likely is  that people who have issues are more likely to try changes from the normal in a hope that will help the issue.  That said change may have no effect on the issue doesn't matter.  For example at my church's eatin' meetin' today after the service, there was one person who mentioned going on a gluten-free diet in case that would help her digestive problems.  This despite not having been tested for gluten intolerance and hearing from another member that he's tried the same a while ago to no effect.

Since vegetarian is non-normal in our society, it's not surprising that people with mental health issues are more likely to be vegetarian.

Incidentally, I went vegetarian for Lent last year.  It helped that Sundays are not part of Lent, as the only real problem I had with it was when I was dining with friends and family.

That sounds like something right out of ODF's playbook, but he finds far more excuses than just one.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 05:35:53 PM »

Hmm, but less likely to have heart disease, diabetes, hypertension, cholesterol, etc. Tongue

Of course mental illnesses in general cut many more years off of a human livespan than lifestyle diseases.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 03:56:42 AM »

These

You must be logged in to read this quote.

are extremely common and it's stupid to call people with them "crazy."

As Ernest said people diagnosed with these kinds of things might consciously switch to vegetarianism as a way to cope with symptoms (psychiatrists will often encourage patients to change diet and exercise as one route for treatment).

uh I mean only psychos wouldn't want to carve up living creatures and chew on their muscle matter yes ha ha
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 11:10:59 AM »

Incidentally, I went vegetarian for Lent last year.  It helped that Sundays are not part of Lent, as the only real problem I had with it was when I was dining with friends and family.

That sounds like something right out of ODF's playbook, but he finds far more excuses than just one.

Too true, but I'm not going to be one of those annoying vegetarians (or worse, vegans) who is going to insist that something along those lines be provided when I go to someone else's house just because I happened to decide to go that route.  Also, unlike ODF might have in similar circumstances, I didn't try to cram a week's worth of meat into Sunday, but just had a normal meal that included meat.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 01:02:47 PM »

Incidentally, I went vegetarian for Lent last year.  It helped that Sundays are not part of Lent, as the only real problem I had with it was when I was dining with friends and family.

Too true, but I'm not going to be one of those annoying vegetarians (or worse, vegans) who is going to insist that something along those lines be provided when I go to someone else's house just because I happened to decide to go that route.  Also, unlike ODF might have in similar circumstances, I didn't try to cram a week's worth of meat into Sunday, but just had a normal meal that included meat.

In spite of our disagreements, I'm not ever accusing you of being like ODF.....believe me.  By the way he's 312 pounds now.......ugh.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2015, 04:52:44 AM »
« Edited: December 09, 2015, 05:36:21 AM by Ebowed »

Too true, but I'm not going to be one of those annoying vegetarians (or worse, vegans) who is going to insist that something along those lines be provided when I go to someone else's house just because I happened to decide to go that route.

Uh wow.  It's really not that hard to not eat animals.  Even at your friends' bible study.  I mean, you can plan ahead.  Your friend is too precious to make a side without corpse in it, then eat something before you leave the house.  That's if you want to, of course.

I don't really get your logic at all.  You think it's more "annoying" to look after yourself than to sit there uncomfortably eating food you don't even want?

If friends at social events are making you feel uncomfortable or trying to force you to eat food you don't want, are you really the problem there?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2015, 12:44:40 PM »

Too true, but I'm not going to be one of those annoying vegetarians (or worse, vegans) who is going to insist that something along those lines be provided when I go to someone else's house just because I happened to decide to go that route.

Uh wow.  It's really not that hard to not eat animals.  Even at your friends' bible study.  I mean, you can plan ahead.  Your friend is too precious to make a side without corpse in it, then eat something before you leave the house.  That's if you want to, of course.

I don't really get your logic at all.  You think it's more "annoying" to look after yourself than to sit there uncomfortably eating food you don't even want?

If friends at social events are making you feel uncomfortable or trying to force you to eat food you don't want, are you really the problem there?

He lives in South Carolina.  You want his friends to think he's a liberal f****t, do you?
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2015, 05:55:06 PM »

I respect True Federalist choice to not be a self-centred primadonna, and I say that as someone, who make vegetarian meals, when I have a vegetarian visiting. Luckily veganism are rare in Denmark, but I'm still grateful that no one in family are vegetarian, because it would make Christmas dinners even harder to make.

Traditional Danish Chrismal dinner, really hard to make vegetarian replacement without risking a riot.

Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2015, 06:05:05 PM »

Again with these projections.  Self-centered?  Do you know what the meat is served with at Christmas?  Vegetables.  I've never heard of a Christmas dinner without them.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2015, 02:50:03 AM »
« Edited: December 10, 2015, 02:54:54 AM by Grad Students are the Worst »

I respect True Federalist choice to not be a self-centred primadonna, and I say that as someone, who make vegetarian meals, when I have a vegetarian visiting. Luckily veganism are rare in Denmark, but I'm still grateful that no one in family are vegetarian, because it would make Christmas dinners even harder to make.

Traditional Danish Chrismal dinner, really hard to make vegetarian replacement without risking a riot.

How can you think through this for 15 seconds without realizing how messed-up your argument is?  You're complaining that people are "self-centered" for adopting moral positions that inconvenience you when preparing traditional meals.  You're basically saying that, even if it involves doing something a reasonable person might think is wrong (consuming meat), it's "self-centered" to do anything besides cede to social harmony, convenience, and tradition.  Let's put aside how arbitrary it is that you've decided one is "self-centered" and the other isn't.  Do I even need to explain how screwed up it is to expect people to ignore a reasonable moral belief for the sake of social harmony and tradition?

This is, of course, assuming that anyone even demands accommodation.  I've been a vegetarian at traditional Thanksgiving meals, and you just don't eat the meat stuff.  I've never requested special foods for myself.  

I feel you and I have had similar discussions several times, and when I point out specious logic like this, you just pop up with another comparably weak argument in another thread.  It's like rationalization whack-a-mole.  You don't get to act holier-than-thou when you have such consistently weaksauce reasoning for it.  If you're not able to defend this flimsy nonsense, just stop replying to threads on this subject.  Wasting time with terrible arguments for your personal pet catharsis is self-centered.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2015, 01:37:30 AM »

Uh wow.  It's really not that hard to not eat animals.  Even at your friends' bible study.  I mean, you can plan ahead.  Your friend is too precious to make a side without corpse in it, then eat something before you leave the house.  That's if you want to, of course.

I don't really get your logic at all.  You think it's more "annoying" to look after yourself than to sit there uncomfortably eating food you don't even want?

He lives in South Carolina.  You want his friends to think he's a liberal f****t, do you?

Actually, the people I eat Sunday dinner with are quite liberal by South Carolina standards.  Most of them are of that legendary breed known as white Democrats.  Also, the whole point of Lenten abstinence is to give up a bit of luxury.  Meat is a tasty luxury.  That's what caused me to decide to abstain from it during Lent, not any concern over personal health or animal welfare, tho those are part of the reasons many choose to be vegetarian.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2015, 11:36:27 PM »

Inspired by Ebowed, I got some veggie burgers, and just had the courage to prepare one. Tasted totally fine.

You win this round.
Hillary pays minimum wage
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2015, 03:05:55 AM »

This explains why vegetarians are more common in the Democrat Party.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2015, 02:56:49 PM »

'You don't make friends with salad.'
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2015, 03:08:34 PM »

How any vegetarian can stick to their convictions after having a truly high-grade steak is beyond me.  I consider that to be a mental issue right there.  Props, guys.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2015, 04:20:06 PM »

Inspired by Ebowed, I got some veggie burgers, and just had the courage to prepare one. Tasted totally fine.

You win this round.
Veggie burgers are great.  Not comparable to beef burgers really... But are great in their own way.

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2015, 04:36:52 PM »

I always do this. Also make a point of avoiding meat substitutes-- because it goes against the point. But I struggle with the "not on Sundays" part. It seems counterintuitive, and I'm uncomfortable eating meat on Sundays during Lent, so I don't even though this is forbidden. Is this sinful? Something I've struggled with.

Paging TJ!
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2015, 12:34:14 AM »

For many such as myself, becoming vegetarian is an outgrowth of thoughts and feelings which were there for a long time.  Likewise mental illness can exist in some form or another long before it is acknowledged or diagnosed, so the chicken-egg game is tricky from both ends if you are trying to describe a relationship.   But generally speaking, people who deviate in their thoughts, feelings and habits from the normal or socially expected in any way are more likely to be diagnosed as having mental illness. Vegetarianism in modern Western society we would expect to be associated more with people with an actively creative mind and 'highly sensitive persons', who are often dealing with depression, bipolar disorder, anxiety and/or a sense of angst or alienation toward society.   If you are a part of a society or religious tradition where vegetarianism is the norm, and you are a vegetarian, your mental health is likely to take on a very different character than it would if you were a vegetarian outside such a tradition.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2015, 02:27:08 AM »

How any vegetarian can stick to their convictions after having a truly high-grade steak is beyond me.  I consider that to be a mental issue right there.  Props, guys.

Honestly, even before I went vegetarian, I found stake a pretty monotonous food.  It was a little like cake: the first bite was good, but the returns diminish quickly.  I guess there's a hell of a lot of interesting food in the world, and I wouldn't rank steak as interesting enough I miss it much.

I always do this. Also make a point of avoiding meat substitutes-- because it goes against the point. But I struggle with the "not on Sundays" part. It seems counterintuitive, and I'm uncomfortable eating meat on Sundays during Lent, so I don't even though this is forbidden. Is this sinful? Something I've struggled with.

Paging TJ!

What about the secular ethical issues, if ethics are something you're concerned about?
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2015, 03:13:01 AM »

Actually, eating meat is healthier than being vegetarian.  It's just that people who are vegetarian are healthier than the average because they're conscientious about their diet in the first place.  They would be even healthier if they added meat to their diet.  Not to say, it's unhealthy to be vegetarian, but it's not the optimal choice for nutrition, all other factors aside.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2015, 05:48:41 AM »

Steak isn't even the best meat tho?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies