Fix the Justice System You Kinda Broke Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 09:57:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Fix the Justice System You Kinda Broke Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Fix the Justice System You Kinda Broke Act (Passed)  (Read 2341 times)
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 08, 2015, 04:40:19 AM »
« edited: January 19, 2016, 09:15:46 AM by Speaker Cris »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Senator Cris for President Griffin
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 11:22:40 AM »

I support this bill. The President should have control over the structure of the cabinet: if he thinks combining the Justice and Home Affairs Dept's is the best thing to do, I'm all for it.

As for the name, I propose (in true John Adams fashion) that we select a long and pompous-sounding title: something like "Lord High Prosecutor of the Realm and First Executor of the Same." Wink "Secretary of the Interior" would be fine, too.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 02:51:02 PM »

I support this and urge all senators to vote YEA.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 05:02:15 PM »

I am ambivalent about this. There was an actual point to it that was sort of glossed over when President Griffin brought it up. At the same time, the actual point just wasn't that important.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 05:48:25 PM »

Use this bill to institute real civil litigation reform.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 01:53:05 AM »

Use this bill to institute real civil litigation reform.

What does that have to do with the cabinet?

And what good would it serve us now when we just end up with thep resent RL status quo pretty much in a month two.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 02:07:48 AM »

First off, as far as I am aware, the positions of SG and Home Affairs were never one office.

The very act "combined DOJ and Interal Affairs together" is the same one that created the positions of Home Affairs and Solicitor General.

No I would agree that doing this broke the justice department, and at least as far as I can tell, this would remove the discretionary nature of enforcement that the September law gave to the President and thus I lean towards support this change since it would appear to restore some of the independence to the Department of Justice or rather its successor, simply by having a filled position as opposed to one filled "as needed". That might work for a wiki master or some such, but not for Justice.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2015, 02:47:12 AM »

Bump
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 03:38:43 AM »

We are on the cusp of a possible court case, so I would appreciate either we act swiftly on this or I have concrete understanding of what will continue to be the situation for the coming couple of weeks.

Also, can anyone clarify whether the Solicitor General position (which is a temporary, appointed-as-needed position) formally constitutes the cabinet? As in, can somebody already holding regional or federal office elsewhere hold this position simultaneously? My understanding is yes to some degree, but that it might depend on the specific cabinet position and the specific elected/appointed position held elsewhere. For instance and AFAIK, the GM cannot hold its position plus another one. Additionally, I know that we exempted via amendments awhile back some other positions that were previously barred from being held by people already holding positions (I believe what was then SoIA/SoEA); the Solicitor General and Secretary of Home Affairs were split off from the SoIA & AG positions, so there's a lot of mud here as I see it.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 08:23:02 PM »

Traditionally, as-needed appointments for court purposes have not counted as an office. I don't know if any precedent exists on this matter, though.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 02:26:11 PM »

Last bump here.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2016, 02:55:23 PM »

Since I'm new to the Senate, I'm going to need a little background information on both offices and what they do. I'd check the wiki, but I get the feeling that it hasn't been updated for a while.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2016, 03:34:20 PM »

Since I'm new to the Senate, I'm going to need a little background information on both offices and what they do. I'd check the wiki, but I get the feeling that it hasn't been updated for a while.
Back in September, following the mass-resignation of most of the Bore Administration and the realization that there are simply too many offices in Atlasia, the Senate voted to combine the Department of Internal Affairs and the Department of Justice into the new, consolidated "Department of Home Affairs." This new agency was essentially a conglomeration of the real-life Departments of Jusice, Interior, Treasury, Agriculture, Commerce, Labor, Health & Human Services, Transportation, Energy, and Education. This bill would revert to the pre-September status quo, wherein there is a "Secretary of the Interior" responsible for the last nine of those departments and an Attorney General who leads the Department of Justice.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 03:44:11 AM »

Back in September, following the mass-resignation of most of the Bore Administration and the realization that there are simply too many offices in Atlasia, the Senate voted to combine the Department of Internal Affairs and the Department of Justice into the new, consolidated "Department of Home Affairs." This new agency was essentially a conglomeration of the real-life Departments of Jusice, Interior, Treasury, Agriculture, Commerce, Labor, Health & Human Services, Transportation, Energy, and Education. This bill would revert to the pre-September status quo, wherein there is a "Secretary of the Interior" responsible for the last nine of those departments and an Attorney General who leads the Department of Justice.

Actually, that is not quite what the current text says, as I pointed out in my previous post.

It did combine it together yes, but it also created the SG to handle court cases on an "as needed basis".

This would basically make the SoHA the defactor AG as well as SoIA under the old system if my understanding is correct. The text is misleading because it says "recombine", yet those two were never combined before hence the confusion.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2016, 05:15:26 PM »

Actually, that is not quite what the current text says, as I pointed out in my previous post.

It did combine it together yes, but it also created the SG to handle court cases on an "as needed basis".

This would basically make the SoHA the defactor AG as well as SoIA under the old system if my understanding is correct. The text is misleading because it says "recombine", yet those two were never combined before hence the confusion.
My apologies - you're right, of course, that the SoHA and the AG were never one office.
Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2016, 09:06:00 PM »

Sorry, again not a senator but please vote yes!
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2016, 04:06:38 PM »

I can only speak for myself, but I personally love citizen participation in these threads. The more activity, the better!
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2016, 01:55:45 PM »

I can only speak for myself, but I personally love citizen participation in these threads. The more activity, the better!

I also welcome input from the citizenry. The worst thing the Senate can do is fall out of touch with those who we serve.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2016, 03:22:58 PM »

I offer the following amendment:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2016, 05:57:24 PM »

Senators have 24 hours to object.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2016, 03:22:40 PM »

I like the amendment. Should also be clear that Section 2 isn't a thing anymore.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2016, 03:44:21 PM »

The amendment has been adopted.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2016, 04:06:45 PM »

I motion for a final vote.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2016, 06:59:30 PM »

I support the move to a final vote.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2016, 09:05:09 PM »

So I'm just trying to make sure everything is clear here: in effect, the old positions of SoIA & AG are now vested entirely in the position of Secretary/Department of the Interior?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies