Huey Long Lives!: Gov. JBE discussion thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:01:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Huey Long Lives!: Gov. JBE discussion thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Huey Long Lives!: Gov. JBE discussion thread  (Read 8673 times)
BigSkyBob

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2016, 03:10:17 PM »

JBE is dealt something if a blow on his first day, as his choice for Speaker, Walt Leger, will stay as Speaker Pro Temp instead. Taylor Barras (R) will be Speaker.

I think the truth falls much closer to "humiliating defeat" or "devastating defeat" than "something of a blow."

Now, Edwards does not control who is offered what committee assignment. There goes his leverage. Edward's has argued that his train was left the station and that Republican legislators had better get on board, or face the prospect of being crushed. That train has been derailed.

Given Republican control of the House, its large majority in the Senate, and the current projected shortfall, JBE starts a bit of a caretaker.

Leger received a number of Republican votes on both ballots. I wonder what side deals they made for themselves. Hopefully, they'll serve on the committee overseeing dogcatchers, or such. Ideally, the Republicans will not be gracious in victory, and, each and every one of them will face recall, or worse.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2016, 03:25:17 PM »

Republicans have nothing to gloat - if neccessary JBE can always use veto pen. And it will always be sustained. In addition - Vitter's camp, that wanted Henry, was defeated much more convincingly then Edwards, and Barras, as former conservative Democrat and now "moderate" (by Louisiana standards) Republican, is acceptable to him. But he could do better offering as his candidate for speaker somewhat more conservative and more rural Democrat. Gisclair, Hill, Thibaut and Danahay come to mind immediately...
BigSkyBob

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2016, 03:52:44 PM »

Republicans have nothing to gloat - if neccessary JBE can always use veto pen. And it will always be sustained. In addition - Vitter's camp, that wanted Henry, was defeated much more convincingly then Edwards, and Barras, as former conservative Democrat and now "moderate" (by Louisiana standards) Republican, is acceptable to him. But he could do better offering as his candidate for speaker somewhat more conservative and more rural Democrat. Gisclair, Hill, Thibaut and Danahay come to mind immediately...

Again, it isn't about the ideology of the Speaker. It is about the ability to dole out committee assignments as a system of rewards and punishments. That threat held over the head of every Republican is over.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2016, 05:34:53 PM »

Yep.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2016, 06:42:47 PM »

JBE has a press conference tomorrow, and I suspect it will be about this:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2016, 10:30:00 PM »

Maps of how the Speaker's vote broke down.

Looking at the first ballot, most Republicans who sit in JBE districts went for Barras over Henry. There was a clear regional breakdown with the Republicans, too, as Barras only carried one northern seat.

I'm proud of my uncle, Rep. Chris Hazel, for being one of the handful of Republicans to support Leger on both ballots.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2016, 11:10:38 PM »

Congratulations, Gov. Edwards! Best of luck the next four years. And may Bobby Jindal and David Vitter eat their cold, dead hearts out. Smiley
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2016, 03:17:12 AM »

Again, it isn't about the ideology of the Speaker. It is about the ability to dole out committee assignments as a system of rewards and punishments. That threat held over the head of every Republican is over.

Bob, i know from my RRH days how much you like Republicans and how little - Democrats. I, on the other hand, is not a big fan of either)))))
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2016, 04:46:24 AM »
« Edited: February 05, 2016, 09:27:43 AM by Brittain33 »

^ Clifford Case, Jacob Javits, Wayne Gilchrist and many many other. THAT's how Republican party treats it's mavericks. You tried to defeat Charles Whalen and Charles Mathias (my role model in politics, BTW) in the past. Unsuccessfully, but - tried. I can add dozens if not hundreds similar names from state legislatures. THAT's how Republican party treats it's mavericks.. Whom do you try to deceive, Bob?

Not that i would say that Democratic party is much better then Republican in that aspect. But still - slightly better: it tolerated most of their southern conservatives and such persons as Boren, Matheson and McIntyre recently  for a long time. While you are unable to tolerate even Hanna, who is, really, not even a liberal, but simply moderate.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2016, 06:18:43 PM »

^ Great points, smolty. I think most serious posters would agree with you.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2016, 06:20:55 PM »

And here we go!

Major FF move by JBE, who enacts his campaign promise of expanding Medicaid:

smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2016, 12:54:55 AM »

Good first step.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2016, 09:56:24 PM »
« Edited: January 13, 2016, 10:19:01 PM by Miles »

This was another big day for JBE, as he hosts the President in Baton Rouge:

Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2016, 10:27:59 PM »

Also, the Senate committees were announced.

Most notably for Democrats, they'll chair two major committees -  Finance (LaFleur) and Revenue (Morrell).
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2016, 11:30:42 AM »

^ Nope. In fact, he was often critricized for being too progressive on race relations.

His home parish, Winn, actually voted against secession and Long's relatives at the time of the war were pro-Union.
That's strange.  I thought he was a segregationist, too.

Sen. Russell Long (D-LA) was, as was Huey's cousin, Rep. Speedy Long (D-LA).  Rep. Gillis Long (D-LA) was not.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2016, 11:50:31 PM »

Unlike the Senate, the situation in the House looks very bad for the people of Louisiana.

Speaker Barras is off to a very HP-ish start, as he gave critical committee slots to Edwards' enemies, and generally shortchanged Democrats.

Among Barras' most nefarious choices: Cameron Henry (R) will chair Appropriations and known traitor Neil Abramson (D) gets rewarded for his treachery with the Ways and Means chairmanship.

Full committees member list.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2016, 12:46:40 PM »

^ Yes, the most important committees went to "loyal Republicans" (read - Vitter's loyalists) or democrats like Abramson. Still think Edwards must propose more conservative Democrat (Danahay or Thibaut) as speaker.....
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2016, 11:51:54 PM »

If I were Barras, I'd be mad that Cameron Henry will still be essentially running the House. I'm not sure how JBE will pull the state out the mess its in if he's working with these fools:

Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2016, 09:30:39 AM »

Hello all,

It looks like this thread shifted from a discussion of the (fascinatingly unique) political situation in Louisiana into one that focused more on individual posters' motivations. I've removed and edited some negative posts that were in that subthread in the interest of the discussion itself, which I hope can return.

Lassez les bon temps rouler.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2016, 11:17:42 AM »

^ Yes, the most important committees went to "loyal Republicans" (read - Vitter's loyalists) or democrats like Abramson. Still think Edwards must propose more conservative Democrat (Danahay or Thibaut) as speaker.....
I could see Thibaut winning.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2016, 12:37:33 PM »

Danahay is usually considered to be even more conservative then Thibaut (even slightly more conservative then couple of Republicans), so he could be evem more acceptable to republicans
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2016, 05:55:46 PM »

Danahay is usually considered to be even more conservative then Thibaut (even slightly more conservative then couple of Republicans), so he could be evem more acceptable to republicans
Danahay has less clout than Thibaut. The state's 15% of typical Republican-voting people who voted for Edwards will be swayed more by Thibaut and his name recognition than anything Danahay brings up.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2016, 12:23:07 AM »

If I were Barras, I'd be mad that Cameron Henry will still be essentially running the House. I'm not sure how JBE will pull the state out the mess its in if he's working with these fools:

I have to take strong exception to Rep Gene Reynolds claim that, "anything coming out of the Appropriations Committee will be no more than a rubber stamp of GOP talking points."

The basic presumption ought to be that all 105 member of House have agency. That is, they are human beings with free will whose actions are subject to moral accountability. If four members ran on a platform of,  "No new taxes, no way, no how," then they ought to strive to keep their campaign promises. If they keep their campaign promise, then, their actions exhibit integrity. To characterize acting with integrity as merely "rubber stamping GOP talking points" is profoundly denigrating those individuals as moral agents. The false, and repugnant, premise of that line of attack is that moral agency can only be achieved by agreeing with Gene Reynolds.

Louisiana has a substantial deficit. There are five basic approaches to solving it: lowering taxes while lowering spending even more, lowering spending, lowering spending while raising taxes, raising taxes, and raising spending while raising taxes even more. Jindal favored the first, while Edwards, judging by the agenda he laid out, favors the last. If some members were elected on a platform of no new taxes, I would only note that their position was ratified by the voters back home.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2016, 12:37:56 AM »

Danahay has less clout than Thibaut. The state's 15% of typical Republican-voting people who voted for Edwards will be swayed more by Thibaut and his name recognition than anything Danahay brings up.

Not sure. Both serve their last (third) term and thus - in almost identical position. Both have some name recognition. Danahay is somewhat closer to Republicans in views - that's a plus... But it's all theoretical now..
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2016, 12:49:57 AM »

I have to take strong exception to Rep Gene Reynolds claim that, "anything coming out of the Appropriations Committee will be no more than a rubber stamp of GOP talking points."

You sound a bit more optimistic than I'd be, but I really hope you're right. Despite the committee being woefully stacked in favor of the people's enemies, hopefully they'll put their talking points and partisanship aside.

Great observation!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies